Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs, your thoughts

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So assuming we don't make the top two but do enough to be in the playoffs, how would you feel about it?

Having had two terrible experiences in the playoffs recently I can't help feeling that we'd feck it up again.

Pre season we would have jumped at the playoffs at the end of the season but having led the league for so long and seeing the quality of the teams around us, 3 of whom would also be in the playoffs, I will not be looking at it as another great adventure.

Autos is definitely the way to go but we must be outsiders now?

Anyway a long winded way of asking, will you be really excited if we make the playoffs or would you be more worried than you were the last two times we got there? I know I expected to go on and win under Gus, I was nowhere near as confident under Oscar, I was just grateful to have got there, especially with the game at Forest. Now I am just looking at the teams around us and wondering if we can beat two of them over three games...

I guess I should just be delighted to make the playoffs, if we do :shrug:

It would be worse to not even make the playoffs though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Play-offs are a total lottery now and we have failed badly twice but at some point we will get it right.

With a full squad, bar obviously Solly, we should be good enough to get over the line and at least make the final.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Whatever happens were at the business in of the table, strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have pretty much no chance in the playoffs.

3 playoff failures, and 1 very lucky success.

We don't have it in our DNA I'm afraid.

Top 2, or Championship again next season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

This is not a good way to feel, but sadly I am with you :down:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
If we stick to 4-4-2 we'd have a fab chance,but if hooton goes cautious and plays 3 in the middle we would fack it up :)

Long way to go and reaching the playoffs is a great achievement anyway.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Don't you think that the other teams who are likely to be in the playoffs are actually more worried about us than in previous years.
We've got a he'll of a squad now. And a real proper experienced manager.

I'm not sure how I'll cope with playoffs.
I'm on fire when we win, but I am a terrible loser, real miserable git.
Don't even want to think about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're not out of relegation danger, yet.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Logic failure.

Ceteris paribus, we have a 1 in 4 chance of progressing through the playoffs. Our history backs this up. Mental strength is more important in the playoffs. I think this Albion team is mentally stronger, with more leaders than either of Gus's or Oscar's.

A someone else, says, strap yourself in, support the team and enjoy the ride.

PG

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
For the first time this season I looked up the date for the play off final and put it in my phone. I think we will make it that far having finished 4th.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not believe it will be down to play offs for promotion as I think we will be in the top 2 but if it is I am sure we will fare better under Hughton than we did under previous managers.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Whatever happens were at the business in of the table, strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

This. As discussed on the other thread about being in the pl, being in the championship and winning games is for some more fun than scraping results in the pl and being in the play offs means every game being a must win all the way to the end.

So as mr badger says enjoy the ride. We'll either end up with amazing success or another year to enjoy the championship and hopefully being knocking on the door again in 12 months time.

el punal

Of the top five clubs I would imagine we are under the least amount of pressure. Reasons? At the start of the season a lot of pundits had us down as relegation fodder, and many a positive Albion fan thought that a comfortable mid-table finish would be good. On that basis we have over achieved enormously, so well done Chris and the boys.

As for our rivals? Middlesbrough and Derby have spent shed loads of money. So financially they will be desperate to recoup that outlay by being promoted. Both clubs "choked" last season so that's another turn of the screw for them to gain success.
Hull and Burnley? Having been relegated from the Premier League last season both will have retained most of their squad and should be in a strong enough position to gain an early return. But that's where the pressure is - expectation. Have a couple of poor results and the confidence could go.

Putting on my realist hat on? I would be very disappointed if we didn't make the play-offs and, barring a complete slump in form, we should be okay. From there on in, as many have stated, it will be a lottery. Third time lucky, maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here