Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barber (speaks) Out

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Might as well get the xbox out and host fifa 16 bha vs leeds,quite realistic these days,fans will have the last word at some stage..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
of course Barber will be pro-tv; he's a member of the FL board. He couldn't stick up for us fans even if he wanted to.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sadly its a fact that the tele money more than makes up for any stay aways.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
fans will have the last word at some stage..

Yes. Yes they will.

Clubs just take it utterly for granted that the punter money will keep rolling in. In our case, the club patently assumes that 25K ST will keep on renewing forever in a muppet stylee.

At some point soon, they're in for a rude awakening. :wave:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes. Yes they will. Clubs, including the Albion, just take it utterly for granted that money will keep rolling in and 25K ST will keep on renewing. At some point soon they're in for a rude awakening. :wave:

It can last forever.....the way it's currently going..

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Interesting , i thought it was a fair bit more than what we have made from the TV , if just 1 thousand season ticket holders said bollox to this non saturday football for a lark thats that TV money wiped out .

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Theys aid that about the housing market. At some point there will be a market correction, same as there always is.

perhaps you are right,enough lemmings keep coming forwards,meanwhile junior doctors have to fight just to get a mere fraction of said footballers feast,that said humanity has always been the same....be in the entertainment business if you wish to prosper..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Barber said "but it's also worth noting that the television money actually helps clubs like ours to keep ticket prices lower"

What unmitigated bollcks. What absolute horseshit.

For a game that can be seen free (or for the cost of a couple of pints) in the pub we are charging Cat A prices on Monday. We've shown no interest AT ALL in 20s plenty and the ticket deals to be had in this league are at clubs like MK Dons and Charlton.

Meanwhile, in the absolutely BATHING in telly money Premier League we are seeing tickets for away fans and the best home fans seats hit well over fifty quid, and that's for the TOP clubs who are shown ALL the time.

Is he trying to pretend that the bring a friend (in to a corner of the ground) for a tenner (limited availability) is all due to Sky and not a marketing rouse?

Hello? Paul? This is earth calling.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
perhaps you are right,enough lemmings keep coming forwards,meanwhile junior doctors have to fight just to get a mere fraction of said footballers feast,that said humanity has always been the same....be in the entertainment business if you wish to prosper..

Junior doctors will be fine. They have a hard-earned lifelong skill and they'll always be highly valued in somewhere like Oz. Unlike they are here. Says it all about the state of the UK under a Tory regime really. Tories know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Same as it ever was.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Barber said "but it's also worth noting that the television money actually helps clubs like ours to keep ticket prices lower"

What unmitigated bollcks. What absolute horseshit.

For a game that can be seen free (or for the cost of a couple of pints) in the pub we are charging Cat A prices on Monday. We've shown no interest AT ALL in 20s plenty and the ticket deals to be had in this league are at clubs like MK Dons and Charlton.

Meanwhile, in the absolutely BATHING in telly money Premier League we are seeing tickets for away fans and the best home fans seats hit well over fifty quid, and that's for the TOP clubs who are shown ALL the time.

Is he trying to pretend that the bring a friend (in to a corner of the ground) for a tenner (limited availability) is all due to Sky and not a marketing rouse?

Hello? Paul? This is earth calling.

And just in case people think I've missed the point that TV money, as additional revenue, keeps ticket prices down because all other things are equal, again that's bollocks. The more TV money you have in the game the higher agents push wages up. Simple. Arsene Wenger said as much. Do away with telly and maybe poor ickle Wayne and Pedro will have to sell a Ferrari.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And just in case people think I've missed the point that TV money, as additional revenue, keeps ticket prices down because all other things are equal, again that's bollocks. The more TV money you have in the game the higher agents push wages up. Simple. Arsene Wenger said as much. Do away with telly and maybe poor ickle Wayne and Pedro will have to sell a Ferrari.

Quite. If tv dollar did reflect lower prices then you'd see a decrease every time a new tv deal was announced. His statement is nothing but usual Barber spin. I'm happy for him to show some figures to demonstrate his theory though

Dec 29, 2011
Barber only focuses on the money aspect here. His whole quote is how the money benefits the clubs. Who's footing this cost though? The fans. The ones who buy tickets and then realise they can't attend a re-arranged match, and the ones who buy advanced train tickets to save a few quid and then get told their train ticket is useless as the game has been moved. Sky doesn't give a shit about real fans, when it's real fans over the past decades who have made football in this country the global brand it is today.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The gravy train will indeed comes off the rails sometime in the future. It's a bit like the Emporer's suit of clothes - at some stage enough people will not only realise what's going on, but realise they are being conned and do something about it. Most will say "I have more important things to spend my money on."

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The gravy train will indeed comes off the rails sometime in the future. It's a bit like the Emporer's suit of clothes - at some stage enough people will not only realise what's going on, but realise they are being conned and do something about it. Most will say "I have more important things to spend my money on."

Same with property prices, the bubble will burst and it will end up in quite a mess

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't think so. I think fans will eventually pay whatever they are charged - despite the recent Liverpool spat. At some stage Premiership games for some clubs will reach £100 and people will moan but still eventually fork out because that is what they want to spend their time and money on.

I don't go to games,mainly because I don't live local, but even if I did I can't justify the cost of games as I have other things to do and to spend my cash on. But I'm not typical - 25,000 of you pay and go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here