Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T 5 Year or 7 Year Mortgage Fix? Figures Inside

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
What would you do?

Happy to stick with Santander as their longer fix deals attract no booking fees etc.- so no need for any offers from other providers.

So, NSC, 5 or 7 Years?

Fixed Rate Costs.JPG

Not sure this requires a Pole (sic)........

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Slightly O/T but my brother swears blind that one of his mates has a long standing tracker mortgage that is set at 1% below Bank of England rate. So every month for quite some time now his mortgage provider has had to send HIM a cheque. Mortgage provider apparently phones him up on a regular basis to ask if he'd like to switch rates to which he obviously replies no thank you, or words to that effect :lol:

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
5 years, your saving just leads £40p\m - or £2k Ish over that term, that should easily outweigh any rise in the subsequent 2yrs...

Great rates, I used to work in Mortgages 14yrs ago and we used to think 4.5% was an amazing deal! I recall a 10yr fixed rate at 5.99% which was snapped up.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
5 year but pay the 7 year monthly amount which will reduce your outstanding mortgage fir when you need to review in year 5

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Slightly O/T but my brother swears blind that one of his mates has a long standing tracker mortgage that is set at 1% below Bank of England rate. So every month for quite some time now his mortgage provider has had to send HIM a cheque. Mortgage provider apparently phones him up on a regular basis to ask if he'd like to switch rates to which he obviously replies no thank you, or words to that effect :lol:

Cheltenham & Gloucester?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Those rates are pretty good.
Just goes to show, even when bank rate eventually goes up, it is still expected to remain low.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Not calling bullshit at all but not sure why he'd get a cheque each month. Wouldn't you just knock the negative interest off your mortgage balance?

On a related note when one of my mortgages came to the end of it's 5 yr fix about 5 years ago I dug out the paperwork to find that instead of reverting to SVR it went to 0.5% above base rate for the life of the loan. :mad:

I've just carried on paying the same amount as I was on fixed rate which will knock about 8 years off the term. I guess the 0.5% above base rate thing was because I took the mortgage out in 2005 before everything went to crap and the base rate was cut.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
5 year but pay the 7 year monthly amount which will reduce your outstanding mortgage fir when you need to review in year 5

My current deal is at 4.99% so I'm planning on overpaying roughly the difference between now and this 5 year rate which in 5 years will be about £10K off the debt.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I was in that same position with Santander just a couple of months ago. Went with the 5 year option which was just an extra £25p/m onto what I was currently paying. Worked well.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Quite like the Barclays 10 year fix @ 2.99% @ 80% LTV, will it ever be cheaper?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I took that Barclays 10 year fix this month.

I thought long and hard about it after overpaying for the last few years at (deep breath) 5.29% which was also a 10 year fix.

But, given what interest rates could be and what they have been in my lifetime - 5.29% wasn't that bad and the 2.99% peace of mind for the next ten years is a great deal I reckon. Maybe...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What are Santander's rules on porting? Anyone done it with them?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
2.59 or 3.19? Just look again in 5 years. You'll have saved about 2k in that time and those extra 2 years will not LOOSE 2k on the last couple years of the 7 year linked offer.

Also ALWAYS make overpayments if you can...... saves you a ridiculous amount in the long run

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Quite like the Barclays 10 year fix @ 2.99% @ 80% LTV, will it ever be cheaper?

Yes Nationwide are at 2.94% fixed for 10 years with a free survey and free legals which I don't think the Woolwich offer. Heads up

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What would you do?

Happy to stick with Santander as their longer fix deals attract no booking fees etc.- so no need for any offers from other providers.

So, NSC, 5 or 7 Years?

The 5 year deal at 2.59% no brainer
View attachment 72687

Not sure this requires a Pole (sic)........

The 5 year fixed rate at 2.59%. No brainer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here