Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I want the glory of promotion....but am indifferent to playing in the Prem

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Does anyone else feel like this?

Don't get me wrong, I am desperate for us to win as many games as we can and get in the top 2. Or the playoffs are great drama and potentially glorious. The celebrations would be epic either way :drink::clap2::drink:.

But I can take or leave playing in the Prem next season:
- 8 fewer match days
- Less Saturday 3pms
- More expensive away tickets
- Let's face it, we're not going to win many
- More diving, cheating players and whinging managers

The pros would be:
- great to have a full Amex every week.
- see the top teams
- financial security for the club and a deserved return for Tony
- some subsidy for away travel (I believe)

On balance, I am indifferent to the PL.

The media bang on about the £100m+ etc., and of course a lot of people at the Club would benefit financially. But it is irrelevant at best to the fans.

It's all about the glory.

PG

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Like you I will enjoy getting there (when we do) but I love being a big fish in the Championship, not sure I'd enjoy being an also ran in the Premier League.

What Leicester have pulled off this season is a miracle. I doubt they'll end up winning and I don't think we'll see the like again for a long time. The big boys will be making it a monopoly in the top eight again next season.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I like being competitive in the Championship, although if we managed to emulate Leicester City I wouldn't complain......just need to get there first!

:)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
10,000 will be willing to take your place if we go up,so don't feel too bad....they too like a bit of glory,unlike your good self they are not prepared to put the leg work in at this level..

In reality it's a nice problem to have to contemplate and in order for us to progress we need to get there..

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
10,000 will be willing to take your place if we go up,so don't feel too bad....they too like a bit of glory,unlike your good self they are not prepared to put the leg work in at this level..

In reality it's a nice problem to have to contemplate and in order for us to progress we need to get there..

Don't get me wrong, I'll be renewing my season ticket (I've been going since 71). But I'm not convinced I'll enjoy it any more than I already do.

PG

Jan 30, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I'll be renewing my season ticket (I've been going since 71). But I'm not convinced I'll enjoy it any more than I already do.

PG
Trust me it will be bollocks , you hit the nail on the head with your OP cherish the good times ,those who missed out are the poorer IMHO
regards
DR

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

PG

How did you feel in 1979? that said i appreciate all you have said,perhaps if we get there we could all speculate as to whether a yo yo existence is best or a slightly more prolonged spell if achievable is better....i have a feeling it's the modern ways of football at the highest level in this era that is the real issue..still lets hope leicester win the league this year to give us all hope.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Been thinking this for a while, good points by OP.
Imagine all of the overpaid average players on ridiculous money, many with baggage and attitudes we might attract.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I want to go up because I want to get the chance to watch top flight football with my dad, he's 71 this year so it kind of feels now or never, but I too am woefully indifferent to the reality of it.

Pros:
Money for the club
Get to play that lot again
Get to play Southampton again so we can finally put to bed that Bournemouth Southampton as being the real South Coast derby.
Full stadium - for at least the first half dozen games and then when we inevitably struggle watch the JCLS slink away

Cons:
Less games
More expensive
More boring bar the odd surprise win and the above mentioned derbies

All in all I'm a bit meh

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indifferent to be honest. Mild success in The Championship is a ball-ache, being in The Prem will be a nightmare with game changes.

I guess it depends what you want from football. I'm just up for a bit of entertainment and some fun with my friends with minimal fuss and the further you go up the leagues it seems the more hassle it becomes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I want to go up because I want to get the chance to watch top flight football with my dad, he's 71 this year so it kind of feels now or never, but I too am woefully indifferent to the reality of it.

Pros:
Money for the club
Get to play that lot again
Get to play Southampton again so we can finally put to bed that Bournemouth Southampton as being the real South Coast derby.
Full stadium - for at least the first half dozen games and then when we inevitably struggle watch the JCLS slink away

Cons:
Less games
More expensive
More boring bar the odd surprise win and the above mentioned derbies

All in all I'm a bit meh

Money for the club? You mean more money for players and agents.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So long as we sustain championship level at worst,and finally put the 3rd tier behind us i will take whatever,too many years (fun that promotions are) at that level for a club of our stature..

Jan 30, 2008
People keep banging on about money for the club but then pay the inflated prices to enter the Ground to pay even more inflated prices I really feel people need a reality check on where the game is / has gone , are the club going to feed you pay your bills

regards
DR

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I feel the same. I want to win the league and get the kudos but this league is a brilliant one to play in with 15 or 16 sides being able to win it. And the PL is full of wanker fans, wanker clubs, stupid kick-off times.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
How did you feel in 1979? that said i appreciate all you have said,perhaps if we get there we could all speculate as to whether a yo yo existence is best or a slightly more prolonged spell if achievable is better....i have a feeling it's the modern ways of football at the highest level in this era that is the real issue..still lets hope leicester win the league this year to give us all hope.

I was at Newcastle on my 16th birthday and it was totally glorious. There were some great days of course in the top flight (winning at Spurs sticks in the mind). But a lot of it was a bit meh, frankly (not that we used that word then of course). The 'experience' gap was much less than now.

One other thing that's better about the Champ - you get some better days out for pubs etc. (Bristol this week a case in point). Nearly all big cities in the Prem.

PG

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I was at Newcastle on my 16th birthday and it was totally glorious. There were some great days of course in the top flight (winning at Spurs sticks in the mind). But a lot of it was a bit meh, frankly (not that we used that word then of course). The 'experience' gap was much less than now.

One other thing that's better about the Champ - you get some better days out for pubs etc. (Bristol this week a case in point). Nearly all big cities in the Prem.

PG

I can only imagine,i was 16 in 88 and though that season was amazing..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here