Yes,
Sometimes,
Yes,
Don't know her , is she a bitch?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Basically removing restrictions that the maker/developer put in place to stop you doing/downloading things they don't want you to.

Is it also to stop you downloading things for free that they want you to pay for? Or is that something different?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Is it also to stop you downloading things for free that they want you to pay for? Or is that something different?

No it does that as well.

For example Amazon sell their fire tablet cheap, but it only has their app store and adverts built in to the tablet. I can take off the adverts and also add Google play store.
Anyone can download free apps, you don't need to jailbreak for that, unless on apple.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
No it does that as well.

For example Amazon sell their fire tablet cheap, but it only has their app store and adverts built in to the tablet. I can take off the adverts and also add Google play store.
Anyone can download free apps, you don't need to jailbreak for that, unless on apple.

Stealing then?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Oh I thought you were asking a genuine question, instead of trying to be a smart arse.

It was a genuine question, you called it jail breaking, I thought that was something that people did to iOS devices, and I didn't think it involved downloading stuff illegally/unpaid for, just thought it was about having access to apps and stuff that didn't meet Apples criteria.

Gumbo

Feb 18, 2009
Got one at xmas, pretty useful but not brilliant. Had to upgade my BT internet though as unless you got super dooper fast then it buffers alot..

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
It was a genuine question, you called it jail breaking, I thought that was something that people did to iOS devices, and I didn't think it involved downloading stuff illegally/unpaid for, just thought it was about having access to apps and stuff that didn't meet Apples criteria.

It's used as a general term now to pretty much take control of any device. Yes it can be used to access free apps on iOS, but does not need to be used on android to get free stuff. It gives a person more control over their device. They can get rid of all the stuff that comes as stock on a device.
I loved my iPhone 4s but got sick of not being able to do what I wanted so now use android.
Yes it can be used to 'steal' stuff, but also has a lot of genuine reasons for doing so.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
It's used as a general term now to pretty much take control of any device. Yes it can be used to access free apps on iOS, but does not need to be used on android to get free stuff. It gives a person more control over their device. They can get rid of all the stuff that comes as stock on a device.
I loved my iPhone 4s but got sick of not being able to do what I wanted so now use android.
Yes it can be used to 'steal' stuff, but also has a lot of genuine reasons for doing so.

I'm going to ask two genuine questions if I may.

What was it you wanted to do on your iPhone that you couldn't?

What are the genuine reasons to steal content that is made available for sale by the companies that produce it?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I'm going to ask two genuine questions if I may.

What was it you wanted to do on your iPhone that you couldn't?

What are the genuine reasons to steal content that is made available for sale by the companies that produce it?

Jailbreaking is not all about stealing, its also about customising.

I left iOS because I could not delete the installed apps that were already on it, I could not expand the storage, apple maps are rubbish in comparison to Google maps and I abhor iTunes. I did find a workaround to getting files/music on my iPhone without jailbreaking but its a lot less hassle on android.

I never said there were genuine reasons to steal content, I said there were genuine reasons for jailbreaking that does not include stealing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Jailbreaking is not all about stealing, its also about customising.

I left iOS because I could not delete the installed apps that were already on it, I could not expand the storage, apple maps are rubbish in comparison to Google maps and I abhor iTunes. I did find a workaround to getting files/music on my iPhone without jailbreaking but its a lot less hassle on android.

I never said there were genuine reasons to steal content, I said there were genuine reasons for jailbreaking that does not include stealing.

That's fair enough, though Google maps is on iOS. Agree regarding iTunes, I use CopyTrans and have done for years. As for storage it is pain, though I see the flagship android phones don't seem to have expandable storage anymore. With the 'cloud' starting to find its way I guess it's not so much of an issue any more, I find it works well. I get an google android phone provided with my job, and have my own iOS phone. I still find the apple phone more user friendly, but can't really fault the samsung for ability, though I find some of the apps I use are a bit flakey on google android, Linked In, Sky Sports News for example.

Never felt the need to delete any of the pre-installed apps on either phone, but the samsung wrapper os is quite clunky and there seems to be a huge amount of bloatware pre-installed. I believe you can 'root' google phones but as its a work phone it's probably best I leave it as it is. I don't play music on it so storage isn't really an issue so it does a decent job as a work phone, it seems to get half decent cellular reception, even though it's on O2, and 4G is great for receiving large files. Have to say though, the email apps I've tried are just terrible compared to Mail on iOS.

Still not sure what the genuine reasons for jail breaking are, no-one has been able to convince me it's worth negating the warranty on my apple for, though I guess on a google phone it makes sense if it gets rid of the Sony/Samsung/Huwai over cladding of android which I think is unnecessary, and as I said on my Google phone is completely overbearing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here