Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time For The Fans To Fight Back

el punal

There are numerous posts on here about us loyal, dedicated and blameless fans being completely dicked off by having to make other arrangements when TV companies change match dates and kick off times for their schedules.

No consideration is given to the fan who, in good faith, has made plans to watch a match according to the date and time of the official Football League fixture list.

Think of this sorry scenario - advanced tickets are purchased for train travel for the match day in question, hotel accommodation is booked with a deposit paid, maybe time is taken off work to attend the game and then all this is blown out of the water. Why? Because a TV company has decided that that wonderful Saturday 3.00pm kick off match will now take place on the following Monday at 7.45 - and you can't make it!

Who do you blame? The club? The Football League? The TV companies? All of them?

So if you are the sorry fan that has lost out in this madness of greed and selfishness, should you not be recompensed? My suggestion, far fetched I know, but if you have proof of going to attend the game (match ticket) and all the other costs incurred (hotel confirmation, train tickets etc.) then you should be reimbursed. A kind of Football Delay Repay if you will. After all you have acted in good faith.

So who pays? The club? Well they have to act on the authority of the Football League. So how about the League? They are collecting the revenue from the contract agreed with the TV companies. Or how about the TV moguls themselves?

I know this is all a bit pie in the sky, but really, isn't it about time us, the loyal, dedicated, football fans, were shown a bit of respect and understanding when it comes following our beloved team?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are numerous posts on here about us loyal, dedicated and blameless fans being completely dicked off by having to make other arrangements when TV companies change match dates and kick off times for their schedules.

No consideration is given to the fan who, in good faith, has made plans to watch a match according to the date and time of the official Football League fixture list.

Think of this sorry scenario - advanced tickets are purchased for train travel for the match day in question, hotel accommodation is booked with a deposit paid, maybe time is taken off work to attend the game and then all this is blown out of the water. Why? Because a TV company has decided that that wonderful Saturday 3.00pm kick off match will now take place on the following Monday at 7.45 - and you can't make it!

So if you are the sorry fan that has lost out in this madness of greed and selfishness, should you not be recompensed? My suggestion, far fetched I know, but if you have proof of going to attend the game (match ticket) and all the other costs incurred (hotel confirmation, train tickets etc.) then you should be reimbursed. A kind of Football Delay Repay if you will. After all you have acted in good faith.

So who pays? The club? Well they have to act on the authority of the Football League. So how about the League? They are collecting the revenue from the contract agreed with the TV companies. Or how about the TV moguls themselves?

I know this is all a bit pie in the sky, but really, isn't it about time us, the loyal, dedicated, football fans, were shown a bit of respect and understanding when it comes following our beloved team?

I wouldn't mind betting that a majority of those that are making a lot of noise about the changes are also quite happy to pay for their sky subscription!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I wouldn't mind betting that a majority of those that are making a lot of noise about the changes are also quite happy to pay for their sky subscription!!

Yes, if you have Sky because you like watching football at times other than 3.00 on Sat, then I don't see how you can complain when matches are changed from 3.00 on Sat.

I agree that people who don't have Sky do have something to complain about but TBH I can't see much change happening, clubs will be happy to pocket the money

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Totally valid, albeit quite GENTEEL, rant by OP. Tho there will be some wally on here in a minute lecturing him about reading the T&Cs before buying a ticket.

el punal

Totally valid, albeit quite GENTEEL, rant by OP. Tho there will be some wally on here in a minute lecturing him about reading the T&Cs before buying a ticket.

Thanks! But it is a moral stance by moi. I have absolutely no doubt that all the offending bodies will have their arses well and truly covered by cling filmed, lead lined and nuclear protected T&Cs.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
All shout but no action, that is what always happens. We all complain, pages and pages of posts about 'another Saturday game moved' but nothing actually happens about it.
Perhaps someone should collect letters of complaint, invoices for wasted advance train tickets, hotels booked but not used and days off for a Monday/Friday moved game. Stand at the entrance to the Amex with a sign asking for all these things and then hand them over to the BBC, our MP or a solicitor to handle.
Then get every ground to do the same with every moved fixture.

Or of course we could all just moan but do nothing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks! But it is a moral stance by moi. I have absolutely no doubt that all the offending bodies will have their arses well and truly covered by cling filmed, lead lined and nuclear protected T&Cs.

For sure. But like I said on another thread, absolute SHAME on any fellow fan who actually has a pop at you by quoting T&Cs.Anybody doing that is actually part of the problem.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Price of success, sadly. It will get worse if we get promoted.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Moderation.

There are just too many games on TV. Yes, I know some people can't get to games and can't afford to go but look at the number of empty seats at televised games. Sky money has just pandered to the easy option of sitting in front of the tv.

You can now watch games from just about any country in Europe if you wanted to. It's just too much.

It's not the fans who should fight back - its the tv obsessives who should get off their backsides and start going to games!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Cancel your Sky packages.

Football muddled along just fine before Sky, we don't need Sky.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Yes, if you have Sky because you like watching football at times other than 3.00 on Sat, then I don't see how you can complain when matches are changed from 3.00 on Sat.

I agree that people who don't have Sky do have something to complain about but TBH I can't see much change happening, clubs will be happy to pocket the money

You said that the other day and were proved wrong by a poll.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cancel your Sky packages.

Football muddled along just fine before Sky, we don't need Sky.
Trouble is, I'm pretty sure that a lot of Sky Sports' revenue is generated overseas, where the fans don't care about moving games - they're not likely to be going to matches anyway. Empty stadiums won't bother them - and anyway Sky can no doubt afford the technology to put computer generated fans on the televised views of the terraces.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think what this boils down to is that if it was made clear that no fixture would be changed less than X weeks before the game (I suggest 8) then we would all know where we stand, and make our arrangements at the appropriate time. The problem is these very late fixture changes. This happens primarily because league games are timetabled on the same day as cup matches; if you win through to the next round of the cup your league game is rearranged. My suggestion would be to fix league games and require the cup games to fit around them. I would also suggest that no game should be rearranged at any time, let alone at the last minute, just to provide a game to be shown on the tellybox. Apologies if this is all naive non-'real-world' bollocks. I am capable of that occasionally. Ahem.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton

The club have no option as the Football League have accepted huge amounts from Sky,so best option is to purchase tickets on a match to match basis

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath

Time to move out of the dark ages mate. Football has moved on!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think what this boils down to is that if it was made clear that no fixture would be changed less than X weeks before the game (I suggest 8) then we would all know where we stand, and make our arrangements at the appropriate time. The problem is these very late fixture changes. This happens primarily because league games are timetabled on the same day as cup matches; if you win through to the next round of the cup your league game is rearranged. My suggestion would be to fix league games and require the cup games to fit around them. I would also suggest that no game should be rearranged at any time, let alone at the last minute, just to provide a game to be shown on the tellybox. Apologies if this is all naive non-'real-world' bollocks. I am capable of that occasionally. Ahem.
Cup games have historically effected league games. Any supporter who doesn't compare fa cup weekends with their own clubs league matches is a bit lazy.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Get a massive banner saying SKY are focking up the game and wave it in the stands during the Leeds game.
Plus wasn't it Leeds who tried to bann Sky from their ground last month

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here