Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off Topic. Friend not paying a debt back, any advice?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So, I loaned a "friend" 2.5k under the condition he used it to pay back debts and sort himself out. He signed an agreement which I had legally verified by my solicitor and pay back date by the end of March 2016.
I have learned that he has neither paid his debts back (some of this debt is to mutual friends) nor sorted himself out and frittered the money away on booze and tech gear he doesn't need.
I've since found out he owes lots of people money all over town and never attempts to pay people back. He just moves around town. He's about to move again but will not tell me where to...

I have a private detective friend who will locate him and serve him papers ,the signed document should see him in court but does anyone have any tips as to how to get some leverage with him and get the money out of him before court, as I can see him worming out of paying, even with a court order. Also, importantly, can the courts sieze control of his accounts? As i reckon he'll plead poverty but he always has some money. He gets money by advertising that he is a music video director on Gumtree, then he takes cash advance, films it but never edits or delivers the video. Just takes the cash advance and moves on.

He sounds lovely doesn't he!

Any advice, other than "break his legs" much appreciated and apologies for off topic thread.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If you are taking him to small claims, then they may find in your favour (sounds like they probably will). If he still doesn't pay then you can ask the court to instruct baliffs.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

To be honest, if he is doing that to so many people I doubt you will get it all back without doing this. If I were you, I would take him to court and also alert the Police to his whereabouts for the fraud on gumtree. He will get whats coming to him and you have learnt to not give someone £2.5k.

Let the courts do their thing rather than trying to find leverage

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, I know it was a daft thing to do. But I did it and at least I got him to sign documents etc, now I need to sort it. I obvs didn't realise he was a con man but I fell for it, hands up. He's been a mate for 5 years. I'd never heard any of this info before.

Thanks for the court advice.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yes, I know it was a daft thing to do. But I did it and at least I got him to sign documents etc, now I need to sort it. I obvs didn't realise he was a con man but I fell for it, hands up. He's been a mate for 5 years. I'd never heard any of this info before.

Thanks for the court advice.

Fair enough, you are obviously a good friend, but it sounds like the warning signs were there! Good luck with getting your money back.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He showed me contracts he had with bands, contracts that said when and how much money would be paid to him. As far as I knew this was a short term bridging loan, signed off, to a good friend in need.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So basically he is committing fraud

Yes, essentially. All that is in hand. A few of us that he has turned over are systematically throwing him under the bus. He's apparently got a list of police cautions for harrassing women, been banned from pubs in Brighton for stalking female staff etc. He's a psychopath essentially.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
My understanding is that if you obtain a judgement against him and he still doesn't pay then your main option is to hire a bailiff to seize goods from him which are then sold to offset the debt. A long and difficult road with no guarantee of success if he is adept at avoiding bailiffs.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Court will no doubt find in your favour; problem is that it doesn't sound like he has much cash and has a lot of other people that he owes money to.

I'd be prepared to write off the money, or at least a significant proportion of it. By the sound of this 'mate', it's a bit like being owed money by Crystal Palace.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He showed me contracts he had with bands, contracts that said when and how much money would be paid to him. As far as I knew this was a short term bridging loan, signed off, to a good friend in need.

Desperate people can be very ingenious with the deception, They are con artists and some of the lengths they will go to are extraordinary it is almost a talent inits self. I often wonder how much better off these people would be if they channeled their "talents" in other directions just how successful they would become and then more content. Ah but then there would be no risk.... or cunning, well thought out plan to lure you in.... or the actual adrenaline buzz they get from the fear of detection or getting away with everything..... Some people are just also self destructive and live for the collapse and feeling of self worthlessness...

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
As I've got older, I've realised you're better off not trusting anyone. Your 'friend' needs a good shoeing, relieving of two and a half grands worth of his gear then delivered to the local constabulary.
There's enough shit in this world already without being taken for a mug by a mate

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Without sounding blase, I can afford to take the hit but It sticks in my craw somewhat. I basically want him to realise the legal consequences of what he's doing. Do you know if he fails to appear at small claims court can he be arrested?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Desperate people can be very ingenious with the deception, They are con artists and some of the lengths they will go to are extraordinary it almost a talent inits self. I often wonder how much better off these people would be if they channeled their "talents" in other directions just how successful they would become and then more content. Ah but then there would be no risk.... or cunning, well thought out lure & plan.... or the actual adrenaline buzz they get from the fear of detection or getting away with everything..... Some people are just also self destructive and live for the collapse and feeling of self worthlessness...

I agree with all of that. I feel stupid though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here