Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over 50 and trying to find work....................again !

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I am 56 years old in April and and still in good condition.
I have been subcontracting to 2 x businesses for the last 5 years.
This week one decided to call it a day and the other was sold and my contract terminated.
So here I go again, having to face the age discrimination again.
My wife says I would pass for 48 and should lie about my age and I am seriously considering this.
I never put my DOB on application forms, but once they find out the interest disappears.
I have a bit put aside, but with the kids all doing college courses etc. it won't last too long.
I will keep plugging away, but over here it is so tight for everyone to find work.
In fact I have never seen it so bad, I don't want to go on the social, dignity and all, but may have no choice.
I make a bit playing a few gigs but that is never serious coin especially shared with 5 band members.
It is quite depressing.
Any one else having to face this.
:nono:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
That's bad news - any chance of giving lessons in whatever instrument you play ?
Hope things get better for you

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry to hear this. Not sure I can offer any help but I wish you well.

And I wouldn't worry about claiming benefits either.

el punal

I, too, have been in this same predicament. The fact is, unless you have much sought after skills, the future for a 40 hour a week, permanent, full time occupation will be rare.

I did numerous short term contract jobs for agencies for about three years and then, suddenly, found a wonderful semi-retirement role as a delivery driver of hot meals for children's nurseries. The people I work for are absolutely marvellous and I have now been with them for four years, with no regrets.

My advice, keep plugging away at finding roles that will suit your lifestyle - and don't lose hope. Something good will be just around the corner.

My final point, a friend of mine was redundant last year having worked in the avionics industry for over thirty years. He is also in his late fifties. He is now about to start a job for a major supermarket chain doing home deliveries, with a full time contract and all the benefits. He's happy as Larry!

Good luck with your search and don't give up!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The main reason why I am staying where I am. Whilst I have a job ive no plans to move.
Im 60, so not a realistic chance of finding much if I leave.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have had some experience of this. I was made redundant after 25 years, so I accepted a part time job, when it was offered. The redundancy payout helped to cover the difference.
We moved and I did agency work for a while, but then an opportunity arose, almost out of nothing, where experience was valued, so I spent my last eight working years, thoroughly enjoying my job. Something will turn up.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I am 56 years old in April and and still in good condition.
I have been subcontracting to 2 x businesses for the last 5 years.
This week one decided to call it a day and the other was sold and my contract terminated.
So here I go again, having to face the age discrimination again.
My wife says I would pass for 48 and should lie about my age and I am seriously considering this.
I never put my DOB on application forms, but once they find out the interest disappears.
I have a bit put aside, but with the kids all doing college courses etc. it won't last too long.
I will keep plugging away, but over here it is so tight for everyone to find work.
In fact I have never seen it so bad, I don't want to go on the social, dignity and all, but may have no choice.
I make a bit playing a few gigs but that is never serious coin especially shared with 5 band members.
It is quite depressing.
Any one else having to face this.
:nono:

Yep 62 in May and in the same predicament. 30 Years in management the last 20 self-employed. Now claiming JSA and applying for around a dozen jobs a day.
Sad to see all that experience going to waste when ideally I should be bringing on a youngster by now.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It happens at 46 too.

Still looking.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Yep 62 in May and in the same predicament. 30 Years in management the last 20 self-employed. Now claiming JSA and applying for around a dozen jobs a day.
Sad to see all that experience going to waste when ideally I should be bringing on a youngster by now.
Out of interest... why are you not considering retirement?... 30 years in management would surely have built up a pension pot.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I feel for you as I have been very fortunate having always left 1 job to start another up until I was 68 years old. It is ironic that many want to work and cant find a job but many do not want a job and to live on benefit as if it is the countrys responsibility to keep them.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Sorry to hear mate. Try looking at some places like manpower for the short term roles if it comes to that?

And while I wouldn't lie about your age, I just wouldn't tell them. Legally I am sure that they aren't allowed to ask? If it's not on application or CV then they will probably find out once you have started and its time to get you a birthday card. What is it that you have been doing?

Reason i ask is that places like QA appear to always have trainers that have actually done the job therefore can train with experience of the role - could be an option

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
I'm sorry to hear about this. What kind of work were you contracted to do? Is there much similar work out there for contractors?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm 60 this year and I made the decision to keep my DOB off my CV some years ago.

Having said that, I was made redundant 18 months ago and thought I was in for a tough time but I've been freelancing ever since and, apart from a couple of sticky months, things have been going OK.

Obviously, it all depends on your skill-set but one thing I have found is work your contacts all you can. turn up at industry events and make sure you're seen - personal contacts mean so much more.

Good luck with the search

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Out of interest... why are you not considering retirement?... 30 years in management would surely have built up a pension pot.

My own stupid fault. I blew it all when love came calling late in life and started on a second young family. Paying for two can get expensive..

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Same predicament a few years ago. There are jobs around in supermarkets and contact centres for the mature candidate. Stress free. If going for contact centre the selling ones pay better if you enjoy that, but there are non-selling ones.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I got pushed out at 48.
Couldn't find any sort of full time job.
Gave up and instead went into teaching and loved every minute

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here