Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o2 increasing prices by RPI under contract...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just got a text reminding me charges are increasing 1.3% in line with RPI inline with their T&C.

TBH it ain't going to break the bank, more irritating than anything else

Is this now becoming standard practice, seems a nice way to boost companies margins

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Not totally - their network costs will also be rising, typically by RPI as well - plus wage inflation of their staff, which I imagine will exceed 1.3% on average. There might be a small amount which drops to the bottom line, but it's not totally cynical on their part

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Just got a text reminding me charges are increasing 1.3% in line with RPI inline with their T&C.

Is this now becoming standard practice, seems a nice way to boost companies margins

I got exactly the same from EE. Think I've had it in previous years as well

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I know...I'm just pondering what to cut out of other expenditure to deal with the 21p increase

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I find this mid contract increase more than annoying. For virtually all fixed term contracts the price quoted is the price that applies for the duration of the contract (other than tax movements). However mobile phone companies previously have been hiding these increases away in the terms and conditions, but now include within advertising.

However the phone regulator has no control over such matters, so companies are free to increase.

i wouldn't have thought it would take much to front load inflation into the original price to enable it to be level for the contract term. No dounbt if we had negative inflation this would not have been passed over to the consumer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But the average RPI in 2015 was only 0.975% - love how these companies just make it up !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What makes me laugh is I'm only 5 weeks into a contract, and that only lasts 12 months anyway yet an increase is applied on the basis of annual RPI

I guess they are within their rights but pretty sharp practice

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That will explain the text yesterday cheerily informing me that my data allowance is, for the first time, going to be rolled over to the next month from now on. Sweetener, it seems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here