Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City player ratings

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Stockdale 8: One full length superb save, another good one, and some of the best fisting I've seen live since my last trip to Hamburg.
Bruno 5: A bit wobbly before he went off injured.
Dunk 8: Commanding in air and on the ground
Goldson 7: Looked assured and complemented Dunk well.
Rosenior 7: Good defending and prepared to gallop upfield when feasible.
Stephens 8: Ran the midfield and screened the back four well.
Kayal 9: Human dynamo, sprayed ball short and long, very combative.
Murphy 8: Took the first goal very calmly, always keen to get to the byline.
Knockaert 7: Not as creative as we've seen him but always wanted the ball.
Hemed 8: Didn't win much in the air against a giraffe of a centre half, but some excellent tight control and layoffs.
Baldock 7: Linked well with Hemed as a pair and great finish for the goal.

Subs:
Calde 6: Apart from a few scary moments with his left foot, reasonable but not commanding.
Wilson 5: Struggled to make an impact
Sidwell 5: Seemed bizarrely to be playing up front with Wilson.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Stockdale 8: One full length superb save, another good one, and some of the best fisting I've seen live since my last trip to Hamburg.
Hemed 8: Didn't win much in the air against a giraffe of a centre half, but some excellent tight control and layoffs.

Subs:
Calde 6: Apart from a few scary moments with his left foot, reasonable but not commanding.

How bad is Bruno's injury El Pres?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Subs:

Stockdale was at 9 - MoM performance a few great saves and claim every cross

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
To be honest, I thought we were very average tonight. Bruno was an absolute liability - couldn't control the ball, and gave away possession in dangerous areas four or five times. Far too many mis-placed passes generally, and not much in the way of creativity. We only had three attempts on goal and managed to score four goals!! Bizarre. Having said that, the first three goals were classy - especially Hemed's. A good night - but the scoreline massively flattered us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be honest, I thought we were very average tonight. Bruno was an absolute liability - couldn't control the ball, and gave away possession in dangerous areas four or five times. Far too many mis-placed passes generally, and not much in the way of creativity. We only had three attempts on goal and managed to score four goals!! Bizarre. Having said that, the first three goals were classy - especially Hemed's. A good night - but the scoreline massively flattered us.

It wasn't as good as 'that' 4-0 at Charlton, but we commanded the game.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Generally agree although I was disappointed with knockart as didn't really seem to run at their defence as much as he has since joining us. As for Calde was awful against better team we would have been punished (puts on tin hat). Was an odd performance as we weren't all that considering we won 4-0. Need to sort out corners!

Otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Stockdale: 9, MOM. Didn't put a foot (or hand) wrong all game, made a couple of very good saves and dealt with everything comfortably.

Bruno: 5.5 Not his best (same for Calde when he came on)

Goldson: 7.5 Solid

Dunk: 6.5 A couple of unnecessary fouls, mostly a good game though

Rosenior: 7.5 So good to have him back in the team. Linked really well with Murphy going forward.

Knockaert: 7.5 Not his most stand out performance, but the guy just oozes class. Some lovely touches, runs and long passes.

Kayal: 8 great distribution, great assist. Put himself about a lot as usual

Stephens: 7.5 Involved in a lot of build up play. Nothing too spectacular, but consistently good.

Murphy: 8.5 Their right back just couldn't handle him. Excellent finish for the goal.

Hemed: 8 Fantastic to see him linking with Baldock again, his assist for Sam's goal was lovely. Held the ball up well, well taken goal.

Baldock: 7.5 Thought he played pretty well, very good finish for the goal.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Stockdale- 9.9

Bruno 6
Dunk 8.5
Goldson 7
Rosenior 7.5

Knockaert 7
Kayal 8
Stephens 7
Murphy 8

Hemed 7.5
Baldock 7

Calde 6
Wilson & Sidwell didn't do anything of note.

Stockdale was superb, three excellent saves, dealt with everything in the air in an assured manner and some of his distribution was just sublime. The only thing stopping me from giving him a 10 was that one horrendous kick that flew straight into the stands. To come back from Saturday with a performance like that shows just what great mentality he has.

Murphy tore their RB to shreds when he had the chance and Dunk looked back to his best. Hemed showed some good touches and we looked 100x stronger with Rosenior at LB. Fantastic to see Baldock on the scoresheet as well.

Bristol City kept the ball well but were utterly clueless in the final third. Their game plan in the first half was: keep the ball at the back, launch it forward and hope for the best. Really really poor; the fact they gave Luke 'Showpony' Freeman MOTM says a lot about their performance.

They were the masters of their own downfall- as 4-0 really flattered us- but it was an efficient performance from the boys where we never looked in serious danger of not taking 3 points.

Oh and the penalty decision at the end was absolutely pathetic from where I was standing. Justice was done (if my eyes weren't deceiving me), and it was made all the more hilarious by the fact that the guy who missed it grabbed the ball as soon as the whistle was blown and pushed Tomlin away :lolol:

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
All 8 bar Knockeart 8.5 and Dunk 6.5.... lots of unnecessary lunges and free kicks again.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting to read the responses from those at both the last two games - seems we weren't *that* bad at Cardiff but lost 4-1 and we weren't *that* good at Brizzle but won 4-0... C'est la vie, onwards and upwards...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I would rather hear that than the comments of ''we cant finish teams off'' - Seems the players cant win but again they have done

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Totally agree. I thought we looked ragged tonight, and struggled to keep possession; passes going all over the place. Bristol looked much more like a cohesive team playing with purpose and good passing; they looked dangerous on the attack.

It was Mrs Peteinblack's first ever football match, and she was constantly tutting and shaking her head at our misplaced passes; at one point, she turned to me and said: 'Bristol City players know where their team-mates are, we don't'!

Yes, our 3 shots on goal (BBC Match stats confirm this) all went in, plus an own goal somehow.

Delighted with the result, and the missus really enjoyed her first match, but we both agreed that 4-0 really flattered us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Stockdale- 9.9

Bruno 6
Dunk 8.5
Goldson 7
Rosenior 7.5

Knockaert 7
Kayal 8
Stephens 7
Murphy 8

Hemed 7.5
Baldock 7

Calde 6
Wilson & Sidwell didn't do anything of note.

Stockdale was superb, three excellent saves, dealt with everything in the air in an assured manner and some of his distribution was just sublime. The only thing stopping me from giving him a 10 was that one horrendous kick that flew straight into the stands. To come back from Saturday with a performance like that shows just what great mentality he has.

Murphy tore their RB to shreds when he had the chance and Dunk looked back to his best. Hemed showed some good touches and we looked 100x stronger with Rosenior at LB. Fantastic to see Baldock on the scoresheet as well.

Bristol City kept the ball well but were utterly clueless in the final third. Their game plan in the first half was: keep the ball at the back, launch it forward and hope for the best. Really really poor; the fact they gave Luke 'Showpony' Freeman MOTM says a lot about their performance.

They were the masters of their own downfall- as 4-0 really flattered us- but it was an efficient performance from the boys where we never looked in serious danger of not taking 3 points.

Oh and the penalty decision at the end was absolutely pathetic from where I was standing. Justice was done (if my eyes weren't deceiving me), and it was made all the more hilarious by the fact that the guy who missed it grabbed the ball as soon as the whistle was blown and pushed Tomlin away :lolol:
Great summary - thanks.

I was listening in the car and Murphy's goal - just as I came off the A27 at West Hove - was a real WTF? moment. Up until then, WA and JC have the impression we were awful.

Baldock seemed to be getting a bit of a roasting from the other players for some reason. Kept doing something - might have been not passing the ball - time and time again, but then not two minutes later, he scored!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Great summary - thanks.

I was listening in the car and Murphy's goal - just as I came off the A27 at West Hove - was a real WTF? moment. Up until then, WA and JC have the impression we were awful.

We scored in the 8th minute though, seems a bit churlish to say we were awful because a couple of passes went astray before then. BC didn't trouble Stockdale during that period.

Baldock seemed to be getting a bit of a roasting from the other players for some reason. Kept doing something - might have been not passing the ball - time and time again, but then not two minutes later, he scored!

He lost possession a few times and was being knocked off the ball by a big centre half. The goal was the best of the lot though.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stockdale 9 pretty much faultless.
Bruno 5 not at it last night
Dunk 8 assured
Goldson 7.5
Rosenior 7.5 great to have him back
Murphy 7.5 calm finish
Stephens 8
Kayal 8
Knockaert 7.5 Enthusiastic
Hemed 8
Baldock 7.5 he left 'cos you're shit

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We scored in the 8th minute though, seems a bit churlish to say we were awful because a couple of passes went astray before then. BC didn't trouble Stockdale during that period.

He lost possession a few times and was being knocked off the ball by a big centre half. The goal was the best of the lot though.
Fair enough EP. I think it was the 'sluggish start' they were concerned about.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here