Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding offence - Advice please

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
At the beginning of the month, I was clocked by a mobile speed camera unit on the A272 in Hampshire travelling at 36mph in a 30mph zone. There is no need to go into any more detail or dispute it - I accept that I was going over the limit. In 28 years of motoring, this is my first offence.

I received the Notice of Intended Prosecution a few days later confirming all of the details and a Section 172 Statement form to complete and return.

The form gave me the option to be considered for a speed awareness course by ticking a box - this I duly did - and returned the form. I kept a copy of the completed form for my own records so I know I definitely ticked the box.

According to the notes accompanying the notice, I was eligible for the speed awareness course option as I fell in the range of 35-42mph in a 30mph zone.

Today I have received a 'Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty' which I must respond to within 28 days. The options given state that I can either deal with it by contesting the allegation in court or a fixed penalty of £100 and 3 penalty points.

There is no reference to my request to be considered for a speed awareness course. According to the previous papers, the Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty is applied to speeds of 43-49mph in a 30mph zone.

At the moment I am a bit perplexed as to what has happend.

Has my request to be considered for a speed awareness course been rejected and do I have the right to know why, when in the initial notification it was clear that I could take that option?

Has there been a clerical error and I've been sent the wrong notification?

Will I get a separate notification regarding the speed awareness course? A bit worrying as the clock is ticking on my response to the conditional offer of fixed penalty.

Has anyone else had this experience before or can anyone in the force offer me any clarification.

As I have already said, this is the first time I have committed a driving offence, so have had a clean licence and would rather not end up with points on it unless there is no other alternative.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I had something similar happen and it was clerical. Give them a call (at least that's what I did) and all should be sorted.

And definitely take the course. It's not ideal, but it's not awful either and it's worth not having the points.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Slow down.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My other half says (who works in a speed camera dept (not this one))
There is a blanket procedure nationwide for diversion courses, and each force can tailor to their own administration procedures so don't take this as a given in your case.

The criteria in her force is:

Admission to an offence within 62 days of offence.
In a 30mph SA would be considered between 36mph-42mph
You must not have attended a similar course within 3 years nationwide or forces who participate in the NDORS (national driver offender retraining scheme)
Course has to be completed and closed within 4.5 months after offence (unless extenuating circumstances are involved)

It very well could be an administration error. At the end of the day it's an individual on a computer updating your notice anf these things do happen. If that is the case in her force, if someone calls up to query the lack of SA offer, if time permits, a course would be offered.

Remember though, it only said do you wish to be considered and not you will be offered.

There is no law to state you must be given the alternative of a course...it is totally at the discretion of the issuing force.

Hope this helps, if you need help PM me

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I had something similar happen and it was clerical. Give them a call (at least that's what I did) and all should be sorted.

And definitely take the course. It's not ideal, but it's not awful either and it's worth not having the points.

My other half says (who works in a speed camera dept (not this one))
There is a blanket procedure nationwide for diversion courses, and each force can tailor to their own administration procedures so don't take this as a given in your case.

The criteria in her force is:

Admission to an offence within 62 days of offence.
In a 30mph SA would be considered between 36mph-42mph
You must not have attended a similar course within 3 years nationwide or forces who participate in the NDORS (national driver offender retraining scheme)
Course has to be completed and closed within 4.5 months after offence (unless extenuating circumstances are involved)

It very well could be an administration error. At the end of the day it's an individual on a computer updating your notice anf these things do happen. If that is the case in her force, if someone calls up to query the lack of SA offer, if time permits, a course would be offered.

Remember though, it only said do you wish to be considered and not you will be offered.

There is no law to state you must be given the alternative of a course...it is totally at the discretion of the issuing force.

Hope this helps, if you need help PM me

I appreciate the responses and will put in a call.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
No worries.

But I just had to give her my phone to write that. I was listening to the radio on it and missed that last goal! Cockwombles :-(

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Personally id take the points. Doubt it will affect your insurance premium and some ask if you have had to attend a speed awareness course anyway now.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Personally id take the points. Doubt it will affect your insurance premium and some ask if you have had to attend a speed awareness course anyway now.

It does affect your insurance.

As advised previously, ring up and check whether you can do the course.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It does affect your insurance.

As advised previously, ring up and check whether you can do the course.

Ok well in my experience, there was very little change in my premium.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here