Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
------------------- Stockdale --------------------
Bruno ---- Goldson --- Dunk ---- Rosenoir
Knockaert -- Kayal -- Stephens -- Murphy
------------- Hemed ------ Skalak -------------

Subs: Maenpaa, Calderon, Greer, Sidwell, KLL, Zamora, Baldock/Wilson

Bit difficult to pick a team given the shower on Saturday, the number of recent games, and uncertainty about returning players, but this team should give them a good go.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Bit difficult to pick a team given the shower on Saturday, the number of recent games, and uncertainty about returning players, but this team should give them a good go.

Totally agree.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

This is something like the eleven l would start with tomorrow night. But for heavens sake let's go back to our tried and tested 4-4-2 and actually try to WIN the game.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Can Skalak play centre forward? That would be brilliant if he could, we can play the excellent Murphy and Knocky as well then.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
....................... Stockdale ........................

Greer ... Rosenior .. Calderon ... Goldson

............ Skalak .... Knockaert .................

Sidwell ...................................... Zamora

................... Kayal .... Ince ....................

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean

I'd like to see Greer back in the starting line up instead of Dunk and would start with Bobby instead of Hemed as I think Skalak could get a lot of joy feeding off him. Agree with the rest in this line up.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
If CH wants to play Knocky, Murphy AND Skalak in the same team, he could play the 4-4-1-1 with Skalak or Murphy in the middle (I would favour Skalak in the second striker position as Murphy has earned the right to keep his LW position in recent games). Otherwise I'd start Bobby and Tomer up top with our usual 4-4-2 formation. To senior in for Calde and Kayal back in the middle with Stephens.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If CH wants to play Knocky, Murphy AND Skalak in the same team, he could play the 4-4-1-1 with Skalak or Murphy in the middle (I would favour Skalak in the second striker position as Murphy has earned the right to keep his LW position in recent games). Otherwise I'd start Bobby and Tomer up top with our usual 4-4-2 formation. To senior in for Calde and Kayal back in the middle with Stephens.

When CH took over he indicated that his two preferred formations were 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1. Most have assumed that we've played 4-4-2 for the majority of this season, and I wonder whether CH shares that view or whether he thinks that we've been playing 4-4-1-1 (with Baldock the withdrawn forward). Skalak can also play in that position, as can Murphy (and, probably, March, although I'm not convinced that KLL can play there).
I'm not convinced that Bobby will be able to start another game so soon.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7297580 said:
....................... Stockdale ........................

Greer ... Rosenior .. Calderon ... Goldson

............ Skalak .... Knockaert .................

Sidwell ...................................... Zamora

................... Kayal .... Ince ....................

Too much to drink??

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If CH wants to play Knocky, Murphy AND Skalak in the same team, he could play the 4-4-1-1 .

Or stop dicking about with formations and trying to sqeeze players in for the sake of it.

Play 442, people in their proper positions, if that means that good players miss out on the starting 11 then so be it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
When CH took over he indicated that his two preferred formations were 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1. Most have assumed that we've played 4-4-2 for the majority of this season, and I wonder whether CH shares that view or whether he thinks that we've been playing 4-4-1-1 (with Baldock the withdrawn forward). Skalak can also play in that position, as can Murphy (and, probably, March, although I'm not convinced that KLL can play there).
I'm not convinced that Bobby will be able to start another game so soon.

It's a discussion in semantics really. There's very very tiny differences between 442, 4411 and 4231, to the point that the differences are almost negligible. Either way, those differences aren't really in the numerical value you give to a formation, but in the characteristics of the players you put out on to the pitch, and as a result, the movements defensively and offensively that they make. Putting Skalak or Murphy in central attacking positions doesn't automatically change our formation from a 442 to a 4231 or a 4411, it just means that the movements those players make are slightly different to the movements of a Baldock or Hemed, and as laymen we then prefer to characterise this difference in formational terms rather than what it really is - just a different interpretation of the same role in the structure.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Personally I would like to see:

Knockaert -- Kayal -- Stephens -- Skalak
------------- Hemed ------Murphy -------------

Murphy has been playing well recently and has finished his goals well. I think he deserves to start and plays the striker role very well indeed.
I would like to see our wingers mix it up a bit too.
With the potential of 3 in the starting line up and one off the bench, they could interchange positions more during the game and give the opposition something to think about.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Or stop dicking about with formations and trying to sqeeze players in for the sake of it.
None of those players would be being 'squeezed' into a position in that formation that they aren't accustomed to.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Bruno ---- Goldson --- Dunk ---- Rosenior
------------- Hemed ------ Zamora -------------

Maenpaa, Greer, Kaz and Wilson if fit (Baldock if not). Skalak and Sidwell can join them on the bench.
Crofts can sit in the stands and watch Kayal show him how to do it.

:thumbsup:

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
-----------------------------Stockdale --------------------------
---------------------- Poskett --- Maybank -------------------
------------- Beamish --- Duffy --- Robinson -------------
- Binney --- Ward --- Zamora --- Murray --- Molango -

Bring ém all back and attack, attack, attack !!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The defence has been a little bit shaky at times recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the fit again Greer returns (most likely at the expense of Goldson). Rosenior must start tonight as well, Calderon is being targeted. So....

Stockdale
Bruno-Dunk-Greer-Rosenior
Knockaert-Stephens-Kayal-Murphy
Hemed-Baldock

Unlikely that Zamora can do Saturday and Tuesday, and Wilson is most likely injured/ill/pining for the fjords/whatever so it'll probably be Baldock. Skalak and Lualua possibly off the bench if we need changes later on. I bet that's what he goes with!

Last edited:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
The defence has been a little bit shaky at times recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the fit again Greer returns (most likely at the expense of Goldson). Rosenior must start tonight as well, Calderon is being targeted. So....

Stockdale
Bruno-Dunk-Greer-Rosenior
Knockaert-Stephens-Kayal-Murphy
Hemed-Baldock

Unlikely that Zamora can do Saturday and Tuesday, and Wilson is most likely injured/ill/whatever so it'll probably be Baldock. Skalak and Lualua possibly off the bench if we need changes later on. I bet that's what he goes with!

I think must be the most obvious team if all fit to play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here