Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pound hits lowest level against dollar since 2009

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
At one stage it was down as much as 2.4% at $1.4058, its lowest level since March 2009, before later recovering.

The move follows London Mayor Boris Johnson joining the campaign to leave the EU after Prime Minister David Cameron set a June referendum date.

The steep fall adds to losses made by the pound over recent months.

At 16:00 GMT the pound was trading at $1.4135, down 1.4% from the previous close.

So far this year, fears of a British exit from the EU - dubbed 'Brexit' - have already pushed the pound down by more than 4% against the US dollar.

Analysts said that was likely to continue to direct sentiment until the vote.

"Today's weakness appears to reflect an increased probability of Brexit after political reaction to the new deal on EU membership was more split than the PM would have hoped," said Sam Hill, senior UK economist at RBC Capital Markets.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35628733

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great news for me. Last month took on a new client who pays in dollars - thank you Boris :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Oh FFS, I need to transfer a large amount of money to Canadian Dollars soon. I knew I should have done it earlier.

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
This is what worries me about the whole referendum vote. I know nothing about currency exchange rates but can see views on here saying its good/not good for them as individuals or business. Likewise I have never traded with Europe and indeed have not visited Europe in over 15 years . Now someone has decided it would be a good idea to ask me what is best -I'm feeling the pressure !!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How can a 2% up or down impact greatly on a budget holiday ??

Just the financial sector causing a bit of a scare - and not a very big one at that. The financial sector don't want a Brexit - they think - rightly or wrongly - it wouldn't be good for them. Ultimately though, there's much more to the ins and outs of the EU argument than the wishes of the financial sector. They are important, true, but not as important as they think they are.

Currency markets are skittish, not a big deal. Bond markets yawned today barely moving and stock markets were up. It's in the interests of the Project Fear In campaigners to hype these market moves but it was genuinely mixed today, no real strong narrative

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Breaking news

Pound hits lowest level against dollar since 2009

At one stage it was down as much as 2.4% at $1.4058, its lowest level since March 2009, before later recovering.

The move follows the UK's Prime Minister David Cameron joining the campaign to stay in EU

Like I said, good news for exporters.

Indeed - most countries in the world are trying to weaken their currency in order to be more competitive abroad. The so-called "currency wars" are all about deliberate devaluations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here