Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many EU out 'scares' will we recieve...

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I would imagine it'll be roughly the same amount of stories the out camp will produce.

They'll both be as bad as each other, making the next few months bloody unbearable.

Wouldnt it be different though, the outers of which I am one, can only really get away with trying to convince how things might improve, most have been experiencing the EU for most of our lives so its more about how leaving can actually change definitive things, so we might comment on whats happening now and try and offer a positive picture of what might happen if we leave.

But those that want to stay in, have a kind of blank canvas in which to invent scenarios that can only ever be tested if we left, so thats the scaremongering advantage.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's only a 'scare' if you dismiss it out of hand without actually considering it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
do you mean stuff like this?

If we leave kent will become the new jungle

If we leave Europol wont share any information with us

If we leave 500,000 jobs will be lost in London

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Wouldnt it be different though, the outers of which I am one, can only really get away with trying to convince how things might improve, most have been experiencing the EU for most of our lives so its more about how leaving can actually change definitive things, so we might comment on whats happening now and try and offer a positive picture of what might happen if we leave.

But those that want to stay in, have a kind of blank canvas in which to invent scenarios that can only ever be tested if we left, so thats the scaremongering advantage.

I'm not so sure that's much of a difference if I'm honest.

Both sides seem to be quite happy to paint a perfect picture as to how things can improve if they win.

The 'In' camp can paint a happy scenario of greater integration and security (which may of course never happen) leveraged against the fear of it not coming to pass/getting worse if we decide to leave the collective.

Conversely, the 'Out' camp can provide images of what an ideal world outside would look like with better negotiated trade deals and tighter security (though any trade deals could also end up being worse and you can only secure an island so well) with the implied assumption being that staying in will bring financial and social hardship.

I genuinely don't see much difference between the campaigns so far, and certainly not the true believers, of each side barring that they want a different box ticked on the day.

Edit: Tried to make a little more sense of that ^

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If we leave we will float away and may crash into the east coast of the U.S.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There will be hysteria on both sides; there already has been hysteria on both sides.

Changing channel now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The outs will have the fear of uncontrolled immigration and the rotherham-style rape gangs up and down the country if we don't get out of the eu, unheard of levels of crime, 300 poles sharing a house next door to you, mosques on every corner, straight bananas, etc.

There's plenty of scope for both sides.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The outs will have the fear of uncontrolled immigration and the rotherham-style rape gangs up and down the country if we don't get out of the eu, unheard of levels of crime, 300 poles sharing a house next door to you, mosques on every corner, straight bananas, etc.

There's plenty of scope for both sides.

bananas are made by God and are EU meddle free

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Or if you consider it, and then dismiss it.
Oh indeed.

But what are the chances of considering every single 'scare' on it's own merits and coincidently dismissing them all ? ??? Not only dismissing them, but labelling them as mongered scares ? ???

We may well soon be living in Little Utopia, I guess :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Both sides seem to be quite happy to paint a perfect picture as to how things can improve if they win.
Well no, it is different. We are IN now, so the IN camp can't make up stuff about how wonderful it will become if we stay IN. The OUT camp can make up stuff about how wonderful things would be if we left.

And then the flip side of that is that the OUT camp can't make up stuff about how much worse it will get if we stay, but the IN camp can make up stuff about how much worse it will get if we leave.

Purely on the question of scaremongering, that will naturally be a tactic of those campaigning to retain the status quo.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
We will have to SMUGGLE structurally correct croissants (crescents) from Calais through the JUNGLE, all for breakfast. Is it worth it? Non monsieur, non.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But what are the chances of considering every single 'scare' on it's own merits and coincidently dismissing them all ? ??? Not only dismissing them, but labelling them as mongered scares ? ???
You don't have to dismiss them all. The question was "How many EU out 'scares' will we recieve... " We can decide for ourselves what is just scaremongering and what isn't, that doesn't mean you have to dismiss everything.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You don't have to dismiss them all. The question was "How many EU out 'scares' will we recieve... " We can decide for ourselves what is just scaremongering and what isn't, that doesn't mean you have to dismiss everything.
Yes, quite. I just find those that automatically shout 'scaremongering' ( on the radio, NSC etc ) at every point, to be marginally tiresome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here