Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blocked Drain - help please

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Are there any 'rodders' out there in the Hove area who might be able to come out and rod my drain...........or recommend a company to use?

I know, I know. I am opening myself up to all sorts of comments here but in all seriousness there seems to be a blockage between the kitchen and the manhole cover further down the drive.

Have tried the pressure washer both up and down to no avail. The sink itself isn't blocked and fortunately there isn't a sewage issue. No:shit:Sherlock:)

Many thanks.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Are there any 'rodders' out there in the Hove area who might be able to come out and rod my drain...........or recommend a company to use?

I know, I know. I am opening myself up to all sorts of comments here but in all seriousness there seems to be a blockage between the kitchen and the manhole cover further down the drive.

Have tried the pressure washer both up and down to no avail. The sink itself isn't blocked and fortunately there isn't a sewage issue. No:shit:Sherlock:)

Many thanks.

Don't know about Rodders but Trigger says that Dave might be able to help...........

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Get down any local hire shop and get some drain rods. If you can unblock it ,it will say you a lot of £££ in the end.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
These are a good firm from the US of A, not sure how long they've been in the business.

b08afac6.jpg

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I used a Southwick based company last year. Quick, efficient, reasonable price. Happy Drains 01273 447000.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The rules over some drains it used to be your responsibility to the edge of your garden but the water company did my two neighbours had these cleared free as I belive it to your house now.. So do check .

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Water now free flowing:thumbsup:

Many thanks to sams dad:clap2:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I've got a Blocked drain this morning. Bloody pain! It's the drain outside our kitchen so it has the dishwasher, washing machine, kitchen sink and a gutter pipe going into it. It's happened twice before and I've been able to unblock it by sucking most of the water out and pouring sulphuric acid 95% down it. 10 minutes later it's cleared. This time however, I poured 2ltrs down it, it's been an hour, it's bubbled and fizzed but the blockage doesn't clear.
The question I have is, how long should I wait for the acid to work? I am thinking about buying an industrial water vacuum to suck out the acid and food slop now in the drain and completely emptying it. I couldn't suck all the water out earlier as I used an oil syphon and the bits block it up.
Failing that can anyone recommend someone in the Saltdean area and how much cash is this going to cost me?
Cheers for any help, great folk of NSC!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Try buying a plunger (£10 for a half decent one) and give that a go. Seems to work most of the time in my experience.

You can also buy the flexible rods and poke it all through if there's a serious blockage.

I don't know what your standard drain-clearing company charges, but 1stflowclearing mentioned above are an absolute rip off from the prices I've seen.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I'm pretty sure that acid into the pipework isn't a great idea. The fumes coming off it if/when it reacts with stuf in the pipes can cause damage to the communal sewer that could be recharged to yourself if traced back.Maybe I am wrong but in my 7 years water/sewage company experience we would never recommend that and I am pretty sure that it can damage the pipework depending on the material it is made from.

Someone like Lanes for drains would come out and do it, they (when I last checked) wouldn't charge more than £150 but would also have a push camera that they could use to see what the actual problem is that is causing it.

Also - if you get someone out make sure you warn them well in advance that the acid is down there

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've got a Blocked drain this morning. Bloody pain! It's the drain outside our kitchen so it has the dishwasher, washing machine, kitchen sink and a gutter pipe going into it. It's happened twice before and I've been able to unblock it by sucking most of the water out and pouring sulphuric acid 95% down it. 10 minutes later it's cleared. This time however, I poured 2ltrs down it, it's been an hour, it's bubbled and fizzed but the blockage doesn't clear.
The question I have is, how long should I wait for the acid to work? I am thinking about buying an industrial water vacuum to suck out the acid and food slop now in the drain and completely emptying it. I couldn't suck all the water out earlier as I used an oil syphon and the bits block it up.
Failing that can anyone recommend someone in the Saltdean area and how much cash is this going to cost me?
Cheers for any help, great folk of NSC!
Sometimes a good old fashioned rodding for a few minutes does the job!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I also bought rods a while back and I'm pretty sure they would have cleared the blocked drain issue I was having were it not that it turned out to be next door flushing nappies down the loo* (*allegedly) :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here