Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British print media on the referendum...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Mirror, Guardian and Inde supporting the stay campaign, no surprise

But, can anyone tell me why none of the Tory paper support Cameron.

Don't papers usually like to back a winner, the bookies have the OUT at 2-1, IN at 2-5

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Don't papers usually like to back a winner, the bookies have the OUT at 2-1, IN at 2-5

Because the editors don't like him ?

Pretty clear where the Daily Mail and Sun sit. It isn't new.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

because they aren't directed by political party office and follow their own editorial leads?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
because they aren't directed by political party office and follow their own editorial leads?

Could it be that old people buy newspapers and these people are more likely to vote OUT?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Because they were expecting significant, substantial change in our relationship with Europe as promised in the Tory manifesto?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

probably because like me they don't trust him
all smoke and mirrors

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Because this issue is beyond party politics. The electorate will need to actually take time to try and understand the opposing viewpoints and then make some kind of informed decision, rather than just blindly cast their ballet in their own traditional customary left v right choosing process.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Do we really need to keep buying newspapers in 2016?

If I need news I look for it online from Independant sources, Newspapers are no longer necessary, and are just a vehicle for other people's agendas.

Since 2000 printed newspaper circulation has halved, but has thier redaership just migrated online? Or are people wising up and no longer need to be told how to think?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Do we really need to keep buying newspapers in 2016?

If I need news I look for it online from Independant sources, Newspapers are no longer necessary, and are just a vehicle for other people's agendas.

Since 2000 printed newspaper circulation has halved, but has thier redaership just migrated online? Or are people wising up and no longer need to be told how to think?
Everything written by anyone anywhere, has an agenda. By that token, blissful ignorance may provide the way.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Everything written by anyone anywhere, has an agenda. By that token, blissful ignorance may provide the way.

I choose to read news from factual sources, without the heavy side order of editorial opinion. Who is being ignorant, me with my own opinions or a guy who spouts guff he has read, written by a tabloid columnist?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I choose to read news from factual sources, without the heavy side order of editorial opinion. Who is being ignorant, me with my own opinions or a guy who spouts guff he has read, written by a tabloid columnist?
I am not accusing you of ignorance and I'm sorry if that's what you thought I was getting at. I am just pointing out that even 'factual' accounts can be biased.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I am not accusing you of ignorance and I'm sorry if that's what you thought I was getting at. I am just pointing out that even 'factual' accounts can be biased.

No offence taken. I agree that even the most unbiased news outlet will project a degree of influence, but the British Printed Press is so unashamedly biased, underhand and false. It worries me that they have too much power, they are self regulating, they push their opinions and mobilise the hard of thinking.

I prefer to get my news updates on NSC.:mad:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

More likely we are dumbing down and just accepting the populist viewpoint, rather than actually reading a variety of differing viewpoints and drawing our own conclusions. Visual news (TV, online etc) is far more effective at enforcing a bias from the source than a myriad of newspaper articles written by a variety of journalists.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think this will be a watershed moment for print media. They almost all want us to leave but come June 23 they public won't risk it

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Why can't people understand this has nothing to do with party politics. There are many from the left and right who want out and for good reason.
Many need to wake up and and realise that the EU ,by stealth,has become a political dictatorship whose leaders are unelected by or unaccountable to the general population. The future looks very bleak with increasing rules and regulations that will effectively take away freedom of choice or speech..
Unfortunately the dumbing down of society means that many believe without question what they read in the papers or hear on TV , the latter especially which is very much for the in vote.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
More likely we are dumbing down and just accepting the populist viewpoint, rather than actually reading a variety of differing viewpoints and drawing our own conclusions. Visual news (TV, online etc) is far more effective at enforcing a bias from the source than a myriad of newspaper articles written by a variety of journalists.

True, this is a compelling argument.

Not all good written journalists work for the newspapers. If a newspaper journalist is at the mercy of an editor, who is at the mercy of an owner, then are we not at risk of just being fed what suits the owner's agenda?

There are many more news outlets than just the TV and newspapers. We are fortunate to live in a digital age where we do not need to accept the populist view point, nor do we need to trust the news moguls or the TV news. We can see for ourselves, Twitter often beats the 24 news networks to the punch, and the YouTube generation are not governed by Political bias.

Not all print journalists are hacks, but the fact that the industry has let itself down time after time, yet it is still allowed to self regulate is a sign of the power they wield and the sooner this power is taken away the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here