Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Express sponsorship

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Just been looking through the list of shirt sponsors in the Premier League and Championship. Without doubt we have the most impressive sponsor in the two leagues.

A plethora of clubs have lowlife betting company sponsors, some have their owners’ companies as sponsor, then we have the money-laden Gulf airlines with their unpleasant national governments, third-rate car companies (Chevrolet and Suzuki), a number of companies I have never heard of (Mansion, GWFX, AIA), a couple of national tourist boards, and various local companies such as Flamingo Land sponsoring Hull.

The only other sponsorships that come anywhere close are Standard Chartered (Liverpool), Aviva (Norwich) and Virgin Trains (PNE), but none of them have anywhere near the global clout, class and style of our very own American Express.

Thank you American Express for your sponsorship of our football club. Proud to have the Amex name on our shirts, our stadium and our centre of excellence.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've heard some particularly negative things about Standard Chartered in the past.

No idea what American Express's reputation is like, tbh.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've heard some particularly negative things about Standard Chartered in the past.

No idea what American Express's reputation is like, tbh.

From an industry perspective, SC are significantly in the poop with various regulators globally due to anti money laundering issues. Amex seem to be keeping well out of trouble in relation to all the recent banking scandals. We're very lucky, I reckon.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Chevrolet, one of the worlds largest car Manufacturers ???

GM 64th biggest company in the world compared to Amex at 105th

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Aviva are not extending their sponsorship of Norwich city beyond this season.

While you say that Amex is the most impressive, i think PL clubs would look at the income derived from any deal rather than the kudos of being associated with the sponsoring brand. Also I would expect that many of the PL sponsors are more about the Asian TV market than the local UK one. An example being AIA a large Asian life insurer.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I have an AMEX card although I pay off the balance in full every month so they make nothing off me......

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have an AMEX card although I pay off the balance in full every month so they make nothing off me......

but they still charge the retailer when you spend, who will add that charge back in to the price you pay

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
While you say that Amex is the most impressive, i think PL clubs would look at the income derived from any deal rather than the kudos of being associated with the sponsoring brand.

This.

Better to take in £5m per season from Golden Fried Chicken over £1m from an Internationally renown company.

That being said, the AMEX slogan is a bit classier than GFC's (imo).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No idea what Amex contributes, but imagine TB got a reasonable deal with them. The local connection counts for a lot too.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Annual fee?

but they still charge the retailer when you spend, who will add that charge back in to the price you pay

Between 1-4% on every pound you spend on it.......without any fee you are paying

No annual fee On my Amex card, but as has been said, they charge a fee to the retailer, like MasterCard and Visa do.

Sometimes people think Amex charge more that the other two, but it's more likely that Amex take their fee straight away at the time of the transaction whereas the other two tend to take their fee on a monthly basis.

Either way, credit card companies do it for their own benefit, the trick is to pay it all off in full each month.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Non - BA Amex card.

How? I pay the price on the till, nothing more.

Good, so the club (via Amex) get some revenue.

The price on the till is the price the retailer is charging for that item in order to make a profit taking into account any fees they pay for being able to take card payments. That charge is passed on to customers regardless of how they pay. The retailer wont take a hit each time someone pays by card

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here