Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric 'Winkle' Brown: Celebrated British pilot dies, aged 97

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
One of the most famous British pilots, Capt Eric "Winkle" Brown, has died at the age of 97.

He was the Royal Navy's most decorated pilot and held the world record for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft, 487.

During World War Two Capt Brown flew fighter aircraft and witnessed the liberation of Bergen Belsen concentration camp.

He died at the East Surrey Hospital, Redhill, after a short illness.

A statement released by his family said: "It is with deep regret that the passing of Captain Eric Melrose Brown CBE DSC AFC is announced.

"Eric was the most decorated pilot of the Fleet Air Arm in which service he was universally known as 'Winkle' on account of his diminutive stature.

"He also held three absolute Guinness World Records, including for the number of aircraft carrier deck landings and types of aeroplane flown."

RIP to a true hero.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
- Flew 487 different types of aircraft, a world record that is unlikely ever to be matched

- Piloted 2,407 aircraft carrier landings

- Appointed MBE, OBE and CBE

- Survived 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941

- Met Churchill and King George VI numerous times

- Was at the liberation of Bergen Belsen

- Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma Grese

Not a bad innings at all. :salute:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rest in peace :bowdown:

Gumbo

Feb 18, 2009
There was a programme about him on tv some time ago, remarkable man who could fly any aircraft including some of the captured Luftwaffe jet planes.
hopefully will be shown again soon..

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A truly Great Briton, didnt the American pilot who tried to break his flightdeck landing record, stop because of mental stress, or something similar?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Eric and thankyou

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Eric.. You had a marvellous life and beat so many odds.

For those interested in such things, from an earlier period but also in the field of naval aviation, this gent had an interesting and hazardous life, picking up a VC in the process http://bit.ly/1SMjwNF . His biog. is well worth a read and there are plenty of copies on Amazon. There is also a Sussex connection as he spent some of his early years in Rotherfield.

I will be rereading both this and "Winkle" Browns biogs. shortly, both members of the "..they don't breed them like that anymore..." club.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
- Flew 487 different types of aircraft, a world record that is unlikely ever to be matched

- Piloted 2,407 aircraft carrier landings

- Appointed MBE, OBE and CBE

- Survived 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941

- Met Churchill and King George VI numerous times

- Was at the liberation of Bergen Belsen

- Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma Grese

Not a bad innings at all. :salute:

Thanks for that info, Frutos. I didn't know of his involvement with debriefing Kramer (last Kommandant of Belsen). This interests me because my old German teacher, Capt. W Bennett RAEC (Retd) was also one of the interrogators and had a photograph of himself with Kramer. This horrible individual was hanged (by Albert Pierrepoint) and thus was granted a more humane death than that which he afforded his victims. Sad that our great wartime generation is fading away quite fast now; our debt to "Winkle" and his comrades-in-arms is incalculable. Thank you and RIP.:bowdown:

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
For those interested in such things, from an earlier period but also in the field of naval aviation, this gent had an interesting and hazardous life, picking up a VC in the process http://bit.ly/1SMjwNF . His biog. is well worth a read and there are plenty of copies on Amazon. There is also a Sussex connection as he spent some of his early years in Rotherfield.

I will be rereading both this and "Winkle" Browns biogs. shortly, both members of the "..they don't breed them like that anymore..." club.

Wings on my sleeve is one of the books in question ...the Sussex connection continued past Rotherfield .. Winkle lived for many many years at Domewood (which is located between Copthorne and East Grinstead) a good friend of mine had the fortune to "sketch" Winkle at his home the results can be found on the GAVA website http://www.gava.org.uk/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=12&Itemid=534&picsearch=simple&searchterm=conrad%20lowen&=Go

See Mr Fleet Air Arm

RIP Winkle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here