Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freddie Goodwin- former Albion manager

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Passed away today. Great memories of his time as manager in the late 60's
Christ!! - I thought you meant the NSC poster at first. Yes, sad to hear he passed away. I started watching BHA with Archie Macauley as manager then Freddie took over in 1968ish.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Rest in Peace Freddie
very sad news
people I have watched and admired in the early years all going

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Christ!! - I thought you meant the NSC poster at first. Yes, sad to hear he passed away. I started watching BHA with Archie Macauley as manager then Freddie took over in 1968ish.

****. So did I! Might be worth getting title slightly changed!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's sad. I remember that he revived Brighton after some rather drab Macauley years. He did too good a job as he was quickly poached but he was a manager who hinted at better things. RIP

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I am still here but my Son saw this and text me to let me know.

Very sad news. I chose Freddie for my name because he was only here for a little while but made a big difference and so often overlooked in Albion's history. He was paoched to be manager of Birmingham City and had quite a few good years there.

Freddie took us from a poor team heading towards relegation. he brought in the likes of Alex Dawson, Nobby Lawton & Willie Bell before building with players like Eddie Spearritt & Peter O'Sullivan (think that was FG but gone before ever played).

He made the Goldstone a better place where we would often score four and also made the toilets better and concreted the muddy puddles under the turnstiles. he took the 'fan side' very seriously.

He built a fine side and that great LC run with packed games aginst Pompey, Brum & Wolves.

A sad day, RIP Freddie & I'll keep the name alive.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
RIP Freddie, I met him about 20 years ago at Gatwick. He was on a trip home from coaching in the USA. Had nothing but good to say about the Albion, and wished us well in our fight against Archer etc.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thought it was the poster at first :ohmy:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I am still here but my Son saw this and text me to let me know.

Very sad news. I chose Freddie for my name because he was only here for a little while but made a big difference and so often overlooked in Albion's history. He was paoched to be manager of Birmingham City and had quite a few good years there.

Freddie took us from a poor team heading towards relegation. he brought in the likes of Alex Dawson, Nobby Lawton & Willie Bell before building with players like Eddie Spearritt & Peter O'Sullivan (think that was FG but gone before ever played).

He made the Goldstone a better place where we would often score four and also made the toilets better and concreted the muddy puddles under the turnstiles. he took the 'fan side' very seriously.

He built a fine side and that great LC run with packed games aginst Pompey, Brum & Wolves.

A sad day, RIP Freddie & I'll keep the name alive.

Top post.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
He was a manager way ahead of his time. Nearly won promotion with a limited team. Birmingham City tempted him away and he ended up in the USA developing the game there.
RIP.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP Mr Goodwin. ..will never forget the 69 league cup run under him culminating in the 32,000 against Wolves.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
goodwingastorade2.jpg

RIP Freddie.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports