Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno: It will be family before football when I hang up my boots [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Bruno will swap football for family when his legs finally give way and he hangs up his boots.
Albion’s veteran Spanish defender and stand-in skipper has no plans to subject himself to the pressure Gary Neville is under at his old club Valencia.
The 35-year-old bearded wonder, who has been on the go as a pro since the age of 17, told The Argus: “I cannot see myself coaching.
“I left home when I was 14 to play football, which is a very long time. When it’s over one day I would like to enjoy family time, because it has been very long without them.
“Football has a lot of nice things but one of the tough parts is that you lose a lot of nice moments with family. I am going to try to enjoy some nice years with my family as well.”
Former Manchester United and England full-back Neville, pictured below, has faced a baptism of fire in his first taste of management at the Mestalla.
Valencia had their first win in ten matches under Roy Hodgson’s England assistant against Espanyol in La Liga on Saturday.
4752699.jpg

They followed that up with a 6-0 thrashing of Rapid Vienna in the Europa League on Thursday night.
Bruno, who played 80 games in three seasons at Valencia alongside the likes of Juan Mata, David Silva and David Villa, before joining Albion, said: “I have some friends in Valencia and I know they are having some tough times without any confidence.
“They have a new manager that doesn’t speak the language and that is tough for the players and Gary Neville as well.
“The fans are very demanding and there is a lot of pressure on the players because of that. I hope they get back to their winning ways.”
Bruno has become sufficiently fluent in English during his three-and-a-half seasons with Albion to conduct press duties in comfort.
Language can, however, sometimes be an obstacle deputising as captain for the sidelined Gordon Greer, a role the right-back retains at Cardiff today.
He said: “I am enjoying being captain but it is a big responsibility. For me it is tough because of the language barrier.
“I speak good English but when there are tense moments before, during or even after a game it’s tougher, it is hard to think.
“We need all of our players and especially GG. He is really important for us. He is our captain and gives us a lot even when he isn’t playing, before and after the games.”
Nobody has given more to Albion’s promotion cause this season than Bruno. He is the only outfield player to have played in all 31 matches in the Championship.
French winger Anthony Knockaert, his new French accomplice on the right, remarked only last week that he is more like a 27-year-old than a 35-year-old.
“I feel good,” Bruno said. “I don’t think about my age, I just try to enjoy every day. Especially when you are my age you cannot think any further.
“Age is just a number. There are a few examples of top players at a high level playing into their 40’s. It’s how you feel, that is more important.”

Bruno feels good about Albion’s promotion prospects as well, although he is also wary about getting too carried away with a third of the season still remaining.“Gaining promotion to the Premier League with Brighton would be one of the best things I have achieved in my career,” he said.
“I have been promoted to La Liga with Almeria, which was quite a similar situation to here at Brighton.
“I don’t think the younger players realise how much their lives will change if they play in the Premier League. It would also be brilliant for the club, because they are working so hard to achieve this aim, and for the fans.
“To have 25 or 26,000 people every game at home is unbelievable. It would be amazing for them as well.
“We can do it but I am not thinking about tomorrow, I can only concentrate on Cardiff.
“It’s not good for me or the other players to dwell on the future and think what could happen. We have to treat every game like a final.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here