Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More sad news

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
From Brighton one of the best bands to come out of punk. This is a horrible year for music��. Vi Subversa: 20 June 1935 – 19 February 2016
Vi Subervsa’s son Pete Fender posted the following news on Facebook this morning (20 February 2016):

Vi Subversa – 20th June 1935 – 19th February 2016

It is with deep sorrow that I have to announce the mourning of my wonderful mum Frances Sokolov, known to many as Vi Subversa, who has passed away peacefully following a short illness.

We know that her death will come as a shock. Vi had recently celebrated her 80th birthday and only a few short weeks ago gave what was to be her final performance.

Vi led an extraordinary life in a variety of fields, but was no doubt best known as the lead singer, lyricist and rhythm guitarist in Poison Girls.

She was a key figure to a lot of people and we know that there will be a great many who would wish to pay tribute to her music and words, as well as to her remarkable achievements in life. We know too that she would want this to happen.

We are holding a private funeral for her close friends and family, and naturally there will be a public event to celebrate her life and work later in the year. We, her family, ask that our need for privacy be respected during this very difficult time.

We are confident that Vi would not wish her friends and fans to overindulge in sadness. We all feel that her life was complete and should be celebrated. She made it to the milestone, and her time had come. Flesh and blood is what we are.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From Brighton one of the best bands to come out of punk. This is a horrible year for music��. Vi Subversa: 20 June 1935 – 19 February 2016
Vi Subervsa’s son Pete Fender posted the following news on Facebook this morning (20 February 2016):

Vi Subversa – 20th June 1935 – 19th February 2016

It is with deep sorrow that I have to announce the mourning of my wonderful mum Frances Sokolov, known to many as Vi Subversa, who has passed away peacefully following a short illness.

We know that her death will come as a shock. Vi had recently celebrated her 80th birthday and only a few short weeks ago gave what was to be her final performance.

Vi led an extraordinary life in a variety of fields, but was no doubt best known as the lead singer, lyricist and rhythm guitarist in Poison Girls.

She was a key figure to a lot of people and we know that there will be a great many who would wish to pay tribute to her music and words, as well as to her remarkable achievements in life. We know too that she would want this to happen.

We are holding a private funeral for her close friends and family, and naturally there will be a public event to celebrate her life and work later in the year. We, her family, ask that our need for privacy be respected during this very difficult time.

We are confident that Vi would not wish her friends and fans to overindulge in sadness. We all feel that her life was complete and should be celebrated. She made it to the milestone, and her time had come. Flesh and blood is what we are.

Remembser seeing hear down the Resources Centre. RIP.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Saw her several times in the 80's & she was great. RIP.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I'm a bit late to the game on this one as I only just found this out via the link to the Brighton bands FB page on the live music thread.

RIP

I saw Poison Girls supporting Crass at (of all places) Otford Village Hall in Kent in 1979. As a 17-year-old I remember thinking "gosh, isn't she a bit old to be in a band?" (she would have been 43 then). Nowadays of course you'd struggle to find a punk under the age of 50...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here