glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Rest in Peace good lady

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
RIP - although she should never have written that follow up to 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. It's just awful and has Atticus Finch as a racist. Completely spoils the whole raison d'etre of the first book and it hurts to think of Gregory Peck as a bigot.

Edit - a bit of Harper Lee trivia, she was a childhood friend of Truman Capote.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
RIP - although she should never have written that follow up to 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. It's just awful and has Atticus Finch as a racist. Completely spoils the whole raison d'etre of the first book and it hurts to think of Gregory Peck as a bigot.

Go Set a Watchman was a draft of To Kill A Mockingbird, so if Lee had never written it there would be no raison d'etre to spoil.

Besides, Atticus is not a racist in Go Set a Watchman. He holds segrationist views based on his mistrust of the Supreme Court and the NAACP.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've read To Kill A Mockingbird twice - once aged 12 and again last year. To me, it is one of the most overrated and frankly dull books I've ever read. So poorly edited. But Harper Lee's always had my total respect for not selling out. A dignified lady. RIP Harper Lee.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Go Set a Watchman was a draft of To Kill A Mockingbird, so if Lee had never written it there would be no raison d'etre to spoil.

Besides, Atticus is not a racist in Go Set a Watchman. He holds segrationalist views based on his mistrust of the Supreme Court and the NAACP.

In my eyes Watchman is set after that book with references to people and events in the first so I would argue that Watchman was written after the first but I'll happily concede the point as the major plot themes were in the original draft and so I was wrong.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Finch being a racist though and I think you're in the minority view. All the US and UK broadsheet reviews made a big thing about Finch's racism.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
To Kill A Mockingbird introduced scuppernong into my vocabulary for which I am eternally grateful. RIP Miss Lee.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Watch the film "Infamous" starring Toby Jones as Truman Capote. Their friendship is featured quite heavily in that film. Great film about Capote's obsession for the murderer Perry Smith who he fell in love with while writing the book "In Cold Blood" about the murders Smith had committed. Harper Lee assisted Capote while he was researching the book and she was played by Sandra Bullock.

Harper Lee is also featured in "Capote" starring Philip Seymour Hoffman as Capote, but I've never seen it so I don't know how much she is featured.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Harper Lee. Always loved that name.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I haven't read Go Set a Watchman but I suspect Harper Lee was the epitome of the saying "Everyone has a novel in them"

Unfortunately, they missed out the bit "but usually only one"

but.........................what a one

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Bizarrely donated TKAM to a charity shop just yesterday. Really tried with that book, but it was just too tediocre for me.

but.........................what a one

Yup, I'd agree with that.

My point was there aren't that many authors who have written more than one really oustanding book.

And of the ones who have - Grisham, Clancy, Forsyth, even Jeffery Archer - there tends to be lots of similarities between their books.

Even the greatest of them all in my opinion - P.G. Wodehouse - used pretty much the same plot line in the vast majority of his books.

Doesn't mean they weren't enjoyable though. If you find a winning formula stick with it.

I've read virtually all of John Grisham's books and will continue to read any new ones he writes, but when he deviates from his normal format I think he misses a trick.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Y
I've read virtually all of John Grisham's books and will continue to read any new ones he writes, but when he deviates from his normal format I think he misses a trick.

Same here :thumbsup:

Big fan of TKAM though, since my schooldays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here