Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ableton 9 Live

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I know there are some wonderful techie people on these here boards, so thought I would ask the question.

Does anyone here use Ableton Live for music creation, as I need to pick someone's brains!

Anyone?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Have you considered Reaper?

They provide a fully functional 60-day evaluation. No registration or personal details are required. If you decide to purchase it's a steal at the £40 asking price.

Small footprint, super efficient on system resources, and a great user forum.

Used to use Cubase myself for years, and it's a great DAW, but I have zero regrets in moving to Reaper.

Check it out:

http://www.reaper.fm/

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Have you considered Reaper?

They provide a fully functional 60-day evaluation. No registration or personal details are required. If you decide to purchase it's a steal at the £40 asking price.

Small footprint, super efficient on system resources, and a great user forum.

Used to use Cubase myself for years, and it's a great DAW, but I have zero regrets in moving to Reaper.

Check it out:

http://www.reaper.fm/

I have downloaded Reaper, but found myself staring at a fairly blank screen! I have little time to spend learning these programmes so really wanted something that works straight out of the box as it were, more plug and play!

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I have downloaded Reaper, but found myself staring at a fairly blank screen! I have little time to spend learning these programmes so really wanted something that works straight out of the box as it were, more plug and play!

Hmm, I think you're being a bit optimistic in that requirement there. Any and every DAW is going to require a certain amount of learning. How are you on the fundamentals of multitrack recording? Do you have experience of it previously?

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hmm, I think you're being a bit optimistic in that requirement there. Any and every DAW is going to require a certain amount of learning. How are you on the fundamentals of multitrack recording? Do you have experience of it previously?

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

What am I trying to achieve, well other than have a multi-platinum selling record, you know Darius style, I would just like to be able to make some music again.
I used to produce in Acid (not on) using samples, and would like to produce my own samples and create my own tracks. I have bought a Novation Ultranova synth which can be connected up as a midi controller or played direct into Ableton audio, but am struggling with the setting up process!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Any help or pointers appreciated...

What do you need help with?
I recommend watching youtube videos. Even if you hate the music featured.
Be methodical i.e watch one on how to use session view, one to use arrangement view, one to use operator, one to use the sampler/simpler, etc. It's very intuitive.

Also, if you know anyone who uses it go to their house/studio and just watch them use it. I learnt most from that.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
This may be of some help:

Also, do you have a soundcard or audio interface that supports ASIO drivers? If not you will suffer with latency.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This may be of some help:

Also, do you have a soundcard or audio interface that supports ASIO drivers? If not you will suffer with latency.

Ah latency, that has already bit me in the bum. Mixed a nice ambient track using some of the pads on the Ultranova only to discover on playback it was choppy and almost unlistenable. ..

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What do you need help with?
I recommend watching youtube videos. Even if you hate the music featured.
Be methodical i.e watch one on how to use session view, one to use arrangement view, one to use operator, one to use the sampler/simpler, etc. It's very intuitive.

Also, if you know anyone who uses it go to their house/studio and just watch them use it. I learnt most from that.

Have watched loads of YouTube vis, trouble is they seem to follow through to a natural conclusion. For instance creating a loop on the piano roll and then getting that over to arrangement view.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Ah latency, that has already bit me in the bum. Mixed a nice ambient track using some of the pads on the Ultranova only to discover on playback it was choppy and almost unlistenable. ..

What you describe sounds like an issue with the audio buffer. Latency manifests itself as a delay between you pressing a key on your synth and hearing it back through your computer. What audio driver are you using? Is it an ASIO driver? If you are just using a default WDM or Directsound driver you will have serious difficulty in use.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What you describe sounds like an issue with the audio buffer. Latency manifests itself as a delay between you pressing a key on your synth and hearing it back through your computer. What audio driver are you using? Is it an ASIO driver? If you are just using a default WDM or Directsound driver you will have serious difficulty in use.

Okay got it, it's not latency then as there is no delay between playing a note and hearing it back. The Ultranova comes with an ASIO driver download, any ideas what I need to do with them once downloaded?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Hmm, okay, this is interesting. I have no experience of the Ultranova, but I see with a bit of reading it has its own ASIO driver which allows Abelton to use it as a soundcard. This is something I haven't seen before. In my experience I use either a dedicated audio soundcard or a USB audio interface which have their own ASIO drivers.

I found this online, and if you haven't already I suggest you follow these steps for setting up your Ultranova:

http://www.modulatethis.com/2011/05/how-to-configure-ableton-live-novation-ultranova.html

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hmm, okay, this is interesting. I have no experience of the Ultranova, but I see with a bit of reading it has its own ASIO driver which allows Abelton to use it as a soundcard. This is something I haven't seen before. In my experience I use either a dedicated audio soundcard or a USB audio interface which have their own ASIO drivers.

I found this online, and if you haven't already I suggest you follow these steps for setting up your Ultranova:

http://www.modulatethis.com/2011/05/how-to-configure-ableton-live-novation-ultranova.html

Hi, yes I had seen that and followed it fine until part 8 when it wants me to "insert the Ultranova editor plug in into a midi track" - not sure if I am missing something there? I gave created a midi track using the Ultranova at this point but don't know if I am following the instructions correctly!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What am I trying to achieve, well other than have a multi-platinum selling record, you know Darius style, I would just like to be able to make some music again.
I used to produce in Acid (not on) using samples, and would like to produce my own samples and create my own tracks. I have bought a Novation Ultranova synth which can be connected up as a midi controller or played direct into Ableton audio, but am struggling with the setting up process!

I use Ableton. I also used to use Acid with Fruity Loops before changing to Ableton. I basically used to create loops and a rough idea for a tune in FL then switch over to Acid to do the arrangement. Which is why I liked the look of Ableton. The session and arrangement views giving me what the two programs had before.
It will probably take a bit of time to get your head around the session view but once you do it makes getting ideas up and running quite easy and enjoyable. Arrangement view is not much different to what you had in Acid.

In terms of tutorial videos I'd recommend the point blank and dubspot ones. Although there are loads more out there.

Just keep at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here