Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London is BIG, very BIG...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/five-maps-that-quantify-exactly-how-rammed-london-is-021816

Check the article for the context for the images...
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i like that.

and fitting they should pair Coventry with Croydon :lolol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yep, there are more Londoners that Scottish and Welsh people combined, but all you hear on the news is Scottish people complaining that all you hear on the news is about London :facepalm:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'm confused. I'm assuming this is in terms of population rather than area. It must be.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes no doubt about it, London really is a megacity these days.

However I'm not sure that I would take this report at face value. After all, they are including the population of Greater London in their figures, a massive area that spreads way beyond the city. My home town of Staines, is included within Greater London, despite the fact that it is nearly 30 miles from Charing Cross!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes no doubt about it, London really is a megacity these days.

However I'm not sure that I would take this report at face value. After all, they are including the population of Greater London in their figures, a massive area that spreads way beyond the city. My home town of Staines, is included within Greater London, despite the fact that it is nearly 30 miles from Charing Cross!

You require an infographic...

London-Density-1-528x469.png

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
[pedantry]

The American cities one is cheating. They're not comparing like for like. They've taken the population of the "metropolitan area" of London and compared it with the "city" populations of the US places.

The population of Chicago "city" is about 2.5 million, but the population of Greater Chicago is around 9 million, which is bigger than Greater London.

Etc...

[/pedantry]

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[pedantry]

The American cities one is cheating. They're not comparing like for like. They've taken the population of the "metropolitan area" of London and compared it with the "city" populations of the US places.

The population of Chicago "city" is about 2.5 million, but the population of Greater Chicago is around 9 million, which is bigger than Greater London.

Etc...

[/pedantry]

The Blog makes that very clear at the start of the article.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
[pedantry]

Etc...

[/pedantry]

and the same with the British cities, e.g. Nottingham has a much bigger population than Brighton (but includes West Bridgford and, er I forget the other wne).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
[pedantry]

Etc...

[/pedantry]

Yes, it's amazing how figures can be manipulated.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I live in Newington Green and I'd like to know the beard to head ratio of dwellers within a 1 mile radius. I am a beardless chap, on my face that is, but I am ruddy surrounded by them everywhere, these beardos.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
[pedantry]

Etc...

[/pedantry]

Actually if you defined London the same way as a US metropolitan area it's population would be far higher.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here