Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading FC - polite warning

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Recently on this forum I have noticed a growing number of comments suggesting that Reading FC are in some way a club to aspire to, ‘likeable' or even a ‘big club’.

Can I remind fellow NSC users that I am one of several Albion fans, who through no fault of their own and for reasons out of their control, live in Reading.

It’s bad enough having to wave goodbye to any worthwhile culture and mix with this dump’s born and bred, without the suggestion that the town’s football club is one to be admired.

Reading FC may have had a good couple of seasons and they do have a relatively large stadium. But trust me, at heart the club and its fans are still the lower league, Elm Park, chip on the their shoulder small timers they ever where, pathetically followed by a misguided group of frankly unnerving-looking supporters.

I’m not necessarily expecting an apology, just some understanding that what is a convenient away day for you, is a constant sense of disappointment to me, and others.

Your support would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dale Jasper

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The smuggest club in the league.

Already been managed by Smug Alan, and Smug Nigel. Surely Smug Eddie's next job.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Recently on this forum I have noticed a growing number of comments suggesting that Reading FC are in some way a club to aspire to, ‘likeable' or even a ‘big club’.

Can I remind fellow NSC users that I am one of several Albion fans, who through no fault of their own and for reasons out of their control, live in Reading.

It’s bad enough having to wave goodbye to any worthwhile culture and mix with this dump’s born and bred, without the suggestion that the town’s football club is one to be admired.

Reading FC may have had a good couple of seasons and they do have a relatively large stadium. But trust me, at heart the club and its fans are still the lower league, Elm Park, chip on the their shoulder small timers they ever where, pathetically followed by a misguided group of frankly unnerving-looking supporters.

I’m not necessarily expecting an apology, just some understanding that what is a convenient away day for you, is a constant sense of disappointment to me, and others.

Your support would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dale Jasper

You have my deepest sympathies Dale.
The best I can say about Reading is that I quite like the platform roofs at the station. That's it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The best I can say about Reading is that I quite like the platform roofs at the station. That's it.

And going by the delays in and out of that station you'd have plenty of time to stare at them.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Actually, the station is pretty good. It's particularly handy when the train you want isn't cancelled. Which it frequently is.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Eh, I haven’t seen any of this and if there have been such claims they must've been made ironically!

Personally I can't stand Reading FC ever since they played at the Amex a few seasons ago, with Adkins as manager; the most cynical, non-football performance I have seen.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I can't stand the place. It was better at Elm Park, albeit with the worst old bill this side of the West Midlands, but the handful of fans who expanded to a large handful of fans when they had a brief bit of success are as small time as ever they were. This is Franchise FC with some lower league history. This is Watford with an out of town stadium.

Reading fans are Chelsea fans who can't get a ticket at Stamford Bridge. These are the sort of people who embraced their new stadium being nicknamed the MadStad - FFS

Do you know who Reading's arch rivals are? No. Nor me. No-one hates them. No one cares.

And then they sold out to some Russian and were rich all of a sudden. That didn't go well did it? I don't really know what the state of their ownership currently is, but then it would be true to say I couldn't give a to55

Dale Jasper, you have my sympathy and best wishes.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Plenty to laugh at, at RA RA Reading! Eg Anyone read (warning: don't listen to!) the lyrics to their despot's wife's Eurovision club song?! Case dismissed!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I never really thought about Reading until this season. Sure, their 7th place pitch invasion was funny but it didn't cause my opinion of them to rise nor fall.

This season though, with them harping on and on about us not having played any decent teams really ramped up my disdain for them such that they now rank 2nd below Palace and above Blackburn.

Their subsequent tumble down the table has been brilliant to watch and their frankly stunning capture of goal machine Matej Vydra just strikes me as a wonderful bit of business for a **** club with **** fans.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
When Albion fans chant "Reading's a sh*t hole, I want to go home", I cry inside . Because it is home.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You have my deepest sympathies Dale.

Possibly best viewed on the way out?

Just surmising like :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Still havent forgiven them for turning up at the Goldstone with a blue and yelloe away strip and being 'surprised' that the ref wouldnt allow the colour clash and we had to wear our away strip for a home game.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I worked and digged away a lot in the 80's, stayed in many places over a 5 year period. Reading was the worst place that i stayed, i was there a few months.
The town was miserable and it seemed the people were miserable as well. A soulless place, perhaps it has changed.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I am very neutral on Reading. Nothing for or against them. I think of them as a smaller club than us as they are not very well supported.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
When Albion fans chant "Reading's a sh*t hole, I want to go home", I cry inside . Because it is home.

When people sing it I laugh and join in. Because it is a sh*thole and despite living here for 10 years it will never be home! Also, the laughter helps to hide the tears

The station roof novelty wears off.

The town is full of down and outs and just frankly weird people

We are currently buying a new house and it is so difficult to find a 'nice' party of Reading. As such we are moving out to Pamber Heath (currently in the nice but overpriced Fords Farm/Calcot area)

The football club is a joke, their fans are arrogant and cocky, I used to go to the Madejski Stadium for work events - their staff are the same.

They lorded the Vydra signing over me - he is rubbish (this year), They lorded the Orlando Sa signing - he left after a couple of months

The keep applying for city status - it barely has an infrastructure to support is itself currently. Reading is not a city

They are building an IKEA here - there is one in Croydon what does that tell you about the places they pick?

I hate the town, the people and the football club

But I met my wife here and had our son who after watching Brighton beat Bolton is a converted Brighton fan and says he doesn't want to go and watch Reading anymore.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here