Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notel - plans rejected

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A hotel design from the Archer/Stanley/Bellotti school of sketches on cigarette packets. Piss poor effort, for pedestrian read shit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cool+story+bro+cool+story+bro_ba91c2_3376394.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thinking about it, we could actually call it Albions "Notel" at the moment, couldn't we boys and girls.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thinking about it, we could actually call it Albions "Notel" at the moment, couldn't we boys and girls.

Certainly could, [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]. Sleek sexy lines. Might have to do away with the 'cancer unit' sweetener and take out the the 'V' and the second 'O' wiv an 'ammer or a couple of Ulloa penalties tho eh?

7149_ho_00_p_953x385.jpg

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
It was better looking than the Norwich Hotel we stayed in last year for my Norwich mates sixtieth birthday full bloody Arsenal Fans.

Black Dalek

Jan 19, 2004
They should get Frank Gehry to design it. & whilst on it get him back to sort out the 'Pedestrian' King Alfred design.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
From http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/paul-barber-supporters-qa-part-two-3020138.aspx

Is the hotel going to happen now?
We will see if it is viable to change the design. If we can’t, then I’m afraid the local authority is responsible for stopping us creating a few hundred new jobs. We think the hotel development would have been a valuable addition to our non-matchday revenue which, in turn, helps us to build a more sustainable football club for our community. The hotel development would also have seen the development of a much-needed cancer unit, a further – and very different – benefit for our community. We were trying to do things for people in our city, but unfortunately – and quite bizarrely – it appears that the city's planning committee couldn’t see beyond the external appearance of the hotel to the much wider economic and health benefits for our community – and so, for now at least, we have hit a wall.

My guess is that the constraints the club are under are too hard/expensive to get around so they will wait until after the next B&H elections in 2019, and go again with a new planning committee.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I watched the whole planning hearing live online. As we know it was lost on just one just abstention (because this councillor just didn't understand it) and one casting vote (because the chair was vehemently against it). Within that committee there will be some councillors who are sucking up to the chair for their lead, for the sake of their future; and there will be some who are strong enough individuals to vote according to the merits of the case.

One thing struck me though. Perry was breathtakingly arrogant in his presentation and in his answers to the questions and challenges. At times I could not believe what I has hearing from him. Not an ounce of humility or willingness to engage and compromise to get it over the line. Arrogant and naive, and this, after all the stamina and resilience he had to show to get the stadium project through to completion. Why?

Just one person got fed up with the clubs inability to present a clean, clear case with humility and a spirit of engagement. That one person abstained (when during the debate she was showing signs of giving it the green light for the jobs created), and that abstention lead to a score draw, with the casting vote sending it down.

I was actually staggered how arrogant we were, it seemed completely unprofessional. Maybe just me....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I watched the whole planning hearing live online. As we know it was lost on just one just abstention (because this councillor just didn't understand it) and one casting vote (because the chair was vehemently against it). Within that committee there will be some councillors who are sucking up to the chair for their lead, for the sake of their future; and there will be some who are strong enough individuals to vote according to the merits of the case.

One thing struck me though. Perry was breathtakingly arrogant in his presentation and in his answers to the questions and challenges. At times I could not believe what I has hearing from him. Not an ounce of humility or willingness to engage and compromise to get it over the line. Arrogant and naive, and this, after all the stamina and resilience he had to show to get the stadium project through to completion. Why?

Just one person got fed up with the clubs inability to present a clean, clear case with humility and a spirit of engagement. That one person abstained (when during the debate she was showing signs of giving it the green light for the jobs created), and that abstention lead to a score draw, with the casting vote sending it down.

I was actually staggered how arrogant we were, it seemed completely unprofessional. Maybe just me....

Can't speak for a planning meeting but in elite sport, it's a fine line between arrogance and confidence - one is good but the other can often be disastrous .....

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I thought the design was crap. It looked cheap and a bit like an American prison or detention camp. The fact there is to be a cancer unit in the basement seemed to be an afterthought to try and justify the unit for 'community use'. We have a nice stadium so it's worth putting in a building that complements and blend in rather than any old office block looking structure.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I thought the design was crap. It looked cheap and a bit like an American prison or detention camp. The fact there is to be a cancer unit in the basement seemed to be an afterthought to try and justify the unit for 'community use'. We have a nice stadium so it's worth putting in a building that complements and blend in rather than any old office block looking structure.
We have no idea of the constraints the albion were working to with their design, whether these were financial viability, or from their partners in the deal.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Not just you. I suspect that it was thought that nothing that was said in that meeting would affect the way the cookie would crumble, so showing, imo, disdain and contempt was going to do no harm. If so, a misjudgement, imo. A different approach may, in this particular case, have got it over the line.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
From http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/paul-barber-supporters-qa-part-two-3020138.aspx

We will see if it is viable to change the design. If we can’t, then I’m afraid the local authority is responsible for stopping us creating a few hundred new jobs. We think the hotel development would have been a valuable addition to our non-matchday revenue which, in turn, helps us to build a more sustainable football club for our community. The hotel development would also have seen the development of a much-needed cancer unit, a further – and very different – benefit for our community. We were trying to do things for people in our city, but unfortunately – and quite bizarrely – it appears that the city's planning committee couldn’t see beyond the external appearance of the hotel to the much wider economic and health benefits for our community – and so, for now at least, we have hit a wall.

My guess is that the constraints the club are under are too hard/expensive to get around so they will wait until after the next B&H elections in 2019, and go again with a new planning committee.

Sadly, not much humanity or humility in that reply from Paul Barber. It he thinks it is bizarre that a planning committee attaches deal-breaking importance to the appearance of a building then he probably doesn't understand what a planning committee is for.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That's all a bit "Hey planning committee, people are going to die of cancer because of you. How do you sleep at night?" isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here