Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champix: Anyone tried and succeeded with it?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just been prescribed Champix to help me stop smoking and want to know if anyone else has tried it and succeeded in giving up smoking? Mrs P tried it and managed to give up for about 3 months but is back on the fags again now.

I've recently been diagnosed with a mild form of COPD (emphysema in old money) so seriously need to stop the fags.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Tried them 5 years ago & haven't smoked since. Previous to that I had smoked 25 - 30 fags a day for 25 years & tried all sorts to give up but couldn't.

I also think that the Mrs giving up at the same time (using patches) helped as then there were no fags in the house & we could support each other.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just been prescribed Champix to help me stop smoking and want to know if anyone else has tried it and succeeded in giving up smoking? Mrs P tried it and managed to give up for about 3 months but is back on the fags again now.

I've recently been diagnosed with a mild form of COPD (emphysema in old money) so seriously need to stop the fags.

Yes, 100% recommend Champix: complete success for me and my lady - although I confess I would still rather like to have a fag from time to time, but not in an 'Oh God, I must have one' sort of way.
The clever part about it is that you can continue smoking whilst on the course of Champix - it's just that the urge gradually goes away, rather than having days and weeks of agony and withdrawal longing for a fag but knowing you can't have one. Go for it!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes, 100% recommend Champix: complete success for me and my lady - although I confess I would still rather like to have a fag from time to time, but not in an 'Oh God, I must have one' sort of way.
The clever part about it is that you can continue smoking whilst on the course of Champix - it's just that the urge gradually goes away, rather than having days and weeks of agony and withdrawal longing for a fag but knowing you can't have one. Go for it!

So you still smoke then?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
For about the first week of taking the tablets you still smoke.
No i mean he still smokes after doing a course on Champix.

My OH tried it twice and failed.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If it works for you then great. However some people have horrible side effects, depression etc. I know of two people who tried it and had to stop taking it because of the mood swings and other mental issues. One was my wife.

She (and I) eventually both quit by using E-cigs.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I failed with Champfix first time and only lasted about 4 weeks without a cigarette.

Am doing better 2nd time. Am now on day 811......and hanging in there ! I never think about them now unless someone is smoking near me.....or the subject crops up on NSC.

Good luck if you give them a go......one day at a time.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Gave up with Champix 5 yrs ago. Never had a fag since. Only very occasionally feel like I could go back.

And Yes, it does give you some weird and wonderful dreams.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Is it just a case of going to your GP and asking for it? I've been thinking of trying it for a while but have heard bad things about side effects (nausea, insomnia, vivid nightmares etc).

I only smoke 5 or 6 a day (albeit supplemented with an ecig, somewhat defeating the purpose I know), is this stuff only designed for more 'hardcore' smokers?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I've recently been diagnosed with a mild form of COPD (emphysema in old money).

Surely this should be all the wake up call and encouragement you need to quit immediately. I watched my father-in-law die slowly and painfully from emphysema and it's a f**king horrible way for anyone to go.

Do you want to carry an oxygen bottle with you everywhere?

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Surely this should be all the wake up call and encouragement you need to quit immediately. I watched my father-in-law die slowly and painfully from emphysema and it's a f**king horrible way for anyone to go.

Do you want to carry an oxygen bottle with you everywhere?

I'm sorry to hear that, and yes it is a wake up call, but as most people that smoke know, giving up isn't as easy as "quitting immediately", especially if, like me, you've smoked for 35 odd years. I watched my own father die from lung cancer but even that still didn't stop me smoking, however, I'm determined to quit now and just hope champix helps me succeed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think getting your missus to give up at the same time will be as important to your success.

And why didn't you give up when she did punish:

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Is it just a case of going to your GP and asking for it? I've been thinking of trying it for a while but have heard bad things about side effects (nausea, insomnia, vivid nightmares etc).

I only smoke 5 or 6 a day (albeit supplemented with an ecig, somewhat defeating the purpose I know), is this stuff only designed for more 'hardcore' smokers?

I guess it depends on your GP. I asked for it specifically, but I had to make another appointment to go and see the "smoking cessation nurse". She checked my suitability for it, and I was "eligible" to be prescribed it. No idea what she checked, but it only took her about 5 minutes. I did tell her (truthfully) that I had tried all sorts of NRT, e-Cigs and vaping but still failed.

I also have to have a telephone appointment with her every 2 weeks so she can check progress and make sure it is not having any adverse side-effects

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
You've got to really want to give up first...no pill or e-cig is going to magically make you stop smoking. If you don't really want to give up then nothing will help. Emphysema would be good enough reason for me to want to give up...

Bloody Ex smokers are the worst for preaching...lol...I gave up in 2002

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
No - didn't work for me and I didn't like the dreams very much either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here