THE BIG SEVEN

Leeds United

Sheffield Wednesday
Reading

Burnley

Fulham
QPR

Derby

Right from the beginning of the season I saw the last seven home games and knew straightaway they woud define our season.

No matter all the close encounters so far, these are all against teams of greater heritage than our century of underachievement.

We will need Premier League performances from now on.

It all seems exciting not formidable at all, and apart from the TV money just like we were there already.

If we get to the PL and the sequence is vs Stoke, Bournemouth, Norwich, WBA, Watford, Palace, Newcastle it would not sound any more formidable.

If I had not already got a season ticket, I would want one for the last seven games.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
No matter all the close encounters so far, these are all against teams of greater heritage than our century of underachievement.

If I had not already got a season ticket, I would want one for the last seven games.

Heritage is exactly that, when was the last time any of these clubs actually did anything of note? Leeds are a joke and will be all the time that mental Italian is in charge, Sheffield Wednedsay haven't done anything since they lost some cup finals to Arsenal in the 90s, Derby are choking again. The others have spent some time in the Premier League over the last few years but are all currently behind us in the table and again you have to go back quite a way to find them doing anything major, except maybe Fulhams Europa League Final. There is no need to consider these games any harder or easier than those that have gone before. There are no easy games in this division as we see every season.

Yes they will define our season but when you are in a promotion race the games at the end of the season always will.

The last line makes you sound like the Championship version of that fan who'd want a Brighton ticket cause we are playing Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have Reading really got a notably better heritage than us? Would say that the two clubs are pretty similar. You could argue we are better having spent one more season in the top flight and a FA cup Final.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Heritage is exactly that, when was the last time any of these clubs actually did anything of note? Leeds are a joke and will be all the time that mental Italian is in charge, Sheffield Wednedsay haven't done anything since they lost some cup finals to Arsenal in the 90s, Derby are choking again. The others have spent some time in the Premier League over the last few years but are all currently behind us in the table and again you have to go back quite a way to find them doing anything major, except maybe Fulhams Europa League Final. There is no need to consider these games any harder or easier than those that have gone before. There are no easy games in this division as we see every season.

Yes they will define our season but when you are in a promotion race the games at the end of the season always will.

The last line makes you sound like the Championship version of that fan who'd want a Brighton ticket cause we are playing Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal.

Although I agree that physically, these last few home games aren't any tougher than what we have faced before, it does become more of a mental issue now too, how much is the potential chance of promotion playing on the players minds?

This is where the managerial staff come into their own I guess, keeping the players focussed, taking each match one at a time. An old cliche, but a very true one l think,

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Although I agree that physically, these last few home games aren't any tougher than what we have faced before, it does become more of a mental issue now too, how much is the potential chance of promotion playing on the players minds?

This is where the managerial staff come into their own I guess, keeping the players focussed, taking each match one at a time. An old cliche, but a very true one l think,

You are quite correct, the mental issue is going to be a factor, but that factor would be there no matter the opposition. Our last 7 home games could just as easily be against Bolton, Charlton, Rotherham, Bristol City, MK Dons, Fulham and Blackburn, the mental pressure would be the same, in fact it could be worse as everyone would be expecting us to win due to their current league positions. The whole notion that we should be worried about our last 7 home games as the teams we are playing have heritage is ridiculous (given the OP it's no surprise he would hold this view).

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The past is the past; what counts now is how our current team does against their current teams. Heritage and tradition are all very well but we won't be up against any of their great players or sides from way back, any more than they'll be facing Lawro, Robinson(M), or Wardy. The exception is of course the mighty Leeds, the greatest club since Time began. There, recent history is a "blip" endured by the greatest fans the world has seen.........but seriously, let's enjoy these games for what they are and remember that this year (NOW) we are real contenders.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
THE BIG SEVEN

Agree that they've mostly spent more time in the top flight than we have (but are we really allowed to count those barren years before Sky invented Proper Football?) Can't agree about Reading being one of a 'Big Seven', though.
By your criterion of heritage, Bolton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Forest and Fulham, to name but a few, would have a much better claim to membership of the 'Big Seven' than Reading.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right from the beginning of the season I saw the last seven home games and knew straightaway they woud define our season.
Before the season started, most were expecting a mid table finish. If we don't self combust, and we don't get promoted, I'd think our season will defined by a huge turnaround and the club's longest ever unbeaten run. Were we sat mid table now, those 7 games wouldn't have any particular significance.

Have Reading really got a notably better heritage than us? Would say that the two clubs are pretty similar. You could argue we are better having spent one more season in the top flight and a FA cup Final.
If you're going to talk about heritage you should at least mention the one national trophy we have.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
In what way did you know these games "would define our season?" Makes no sense whatsoever. All of the previous games determine whether these have any significance at all.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And there was me thinking that they were crucial simply because every game is crucial, and they are against seven teams below us in the league. Better get the red carpet out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The away matches at Cardiff and Bristol will also somewhat 'define our season'.

Bring back 4, or in dreamland 6, points and the charge to top 2 is very much on.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Bring back 4, or in dreamland 6, points and the charge to top 2 is very much on.

Very much agree with this. Two tricky away games before we hit the home stretch. Cardiff are a tough nut to crack at home and we seem to be meeting Bristol when they finally hitting some form.

Just not seeing any easy games between now and the end of the season. With automatic promotion a realistic prospect for the first time, every game has become a proverbial cup final.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Exactly. We have a fair way to go before those last 7 games define our season.

Underestimate Bristol City or Cardiff at our peril. Last home games most recent first, and both teams have given strong performances at home, Cardiff haven't lost at home since Hull beat them on 15th September:

CARDIFF
0-0 MK Dons
2-2 Rotherham
1-0 B'Burn
1-1 Forest
3-2 Brentford

BRISTOL CITY
2-1 Ipswich
0-0 Brum
1-0 M'Boro
1-2 Preston
1-1 Charlton

We should be very happy with 5 points from these 3 aways.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Taken on current form;

Leeds United - WIN
Sheffield Wednesday - POSSIBLE WIN (D)
Reading - WIN
Burnley - POSSIBLE WIN (D)
Fulham - WIN
QPR - WIN
Derby - WIN

We can but dream.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Fulham big? One relegation to the 3rd tier followed by a bad season ,their gates would drop to around 6000.If there ever was a plastic club it's them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Leeds United - Win

Sheffield Wednesday - Lose
Reading - Win

Burnley - Draw

Fulham - Win
QPR - Win

Derby - Draw

My predictions. I'd be quite happy with that although I doubt it will get us auto - play offs assured though as long as we win a couple of aways...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Those 7 games are no different from the 7 before them.

No games should be any different. Play well ourselves and the points will come. By all means, do the homework on the opposition game by game and plan tactics accordingly but the season will be determined by how we perform in all matches and not by who the opposition are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here