Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon last night.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I haven't seen any reference to it on here, but did anyone else notice what a good job Calde did at Hull last night? Rated at 8/10 by the Argus today no less.

Specifically targetted by the opposition, he managed to not only hold off Snodgrass, and then Elmohammady, but pretty much had them in his pocket.

Not our first choice, or even second choice left back, but did a splendid job none the less. Do the same again at Cardiff and Bristol City Calde, and I would think Rosenior or Bong would be able to take over from you.

Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear BG.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I haven't seen any reference to it on here, but did anyone else notice what a good job Calde did at Hull last night? Rated at 8/10 by the Argus today no less.

Specifically targetted by the opposition, he managed to not only hold off Snodgrass, and then Elmohammady, but pretty much had them in his pocket.

Not our first choice, or even second choice left back, but did a splendid job none the less. Do the same again at Cardiff and Bristol City Calde, and I would think Rosenior or Bong would be able to take over from you.

Damn right!
There are a few people keeping a low profile rather than admit they might just have been wrong about Calde at left back. No-one would ever say he was the best but in the right system with the right support (and Murphy whose defensive capacity regularly less than thrills me did a great job in covering his defence) Calde's energy, enthusiasm, commitment and experience will get him through.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Agreed I thought really well. That said he was rarely exposed one or one with anyone. Often intercepted a ball before it got to that situation where his pace would have been found out. Good clever play, his football brain is quicker than his legs.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
They certainly targeted him early on with balls in behind for Snodgrass to chase and he did fine. Always gives 100%.
Second half he seemed to swap with Murphy for a while and play as the winger!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Also worth adding that going forwards Bruno and Calderon are excellent fullbacks. Calderon is a lot stronger than Ridgewell in attack.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Also worth adding that going forwards Bruno and Calderon are excellent fullbacks. Calderon is a lot stronger than Ridgewell in attack.

Agreed, in fact Bruno is probably as good offensively as he is defensively, although obviously last night wasn't the time to put that to the test!

We went for a point, and we came home with a point. I'm delighted.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He always plays as if it could be his last game.

All to soon alas, it really could be. What an amazing epitaph it would be for them na, if we managed to get promoted in his last season?

One of our longest serving players, played under four different managers, and from first game to last, always gives 101% for the club.

He may not be from Brighton, or even from Britain, but his love for all things Albion is there for all to see.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
His passes more often than not went astray. Some great tackles but not always. He was good but one of the weaker links and i would still opt for an alternative asap. Put in Jones role

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

It's good to hear he played well. It's an interesting choice by Bruce to put a leftie up against a right footed left back though. Surely that's not the best bit of tactical thinking in Bruce's part 😂😂

Hughton

Feb 13, 2016
Iñigo Calderón is an absolute legend on and off the pitch, really want to see him perform on the pitch and prove he is up to this standard, I personally love the guy but have concerns he can't keep up at this level, I wasn't at hull but sounds like he done as good a job as any other would.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
All to soon alas, it really could be. What an amazing epitaph it would be for them na, if we managed to get promoted in his last season?

One of our longest serving players, played under four different managers, and from first game to last, always gives 101% for the club.

He may not be from Brighton, or even from Britain, but his love for all things Albion is there for all to see.

Indeed which is why we are havimg an appreciation nite. So bog off Bens Grandad. A real servant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was picked out by the Hull commentators as one of the Albion standouts; not bad for a bloke near the end of his career (although I think he's younger than Bruno)

I believe he's getting close to his 200th appearance for the club - he almost deserves a special banner

Hughton

Feb 13, 2016
He was picked out by the Hull commentators as one of the Albion standouts; not bad for a bloke near the end of his career (although I think he's younger than Bruno)

I believe he's getting close to his 200th appearance for the club - he almost deserves a special banner

and his first start in a longtime, im up for a Calde Banner 100%! the guys a BHAFC legend!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

230 appearances in all competitions (201 starts + 29 sub) - 19 goals.

League
168 starts + 28 sub

FA Cup
18 starts

League Cup
10 starts + 1 sub

Other
5 starts

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
and his first start in a longtime, im up for a Calde Banner 100%! the guys a BHAFC legend!

Since 6 Jan against, er, Hull City.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here