Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did so many players drop standard after Gus

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So it got me thinking, our current squad is the best I have ever seen us have in terms of experience, depth & quality.

BUT, compared to Gus teams and his success why did so many of his players fall away so drastically after leaving us despite being decent in his teams ?

Dicker, Navarro, Sparrow, El-Abd, Painter...?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So it got me thinking, our current squad is the best I have ever seen us have in terms of experience, depth & quality.

BUT, compared to Gus teams and his success why did so many of his players fall away so drastically after leaving us despite being decent in his teams ?

Vincelot? I really liked him

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Vincelot? I really liked him

He's in League One at Coventry isn't he? He was a great signing when we had the 5 sub rule

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Barnes, Murray, Bridcutt*, Elphick, Calde, Greer, Dunk, Lua Lua and Ulloa all seemed to do ok once Gus was no longer their manager.

Perhaps not Bridcutt. :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Gus was very good at getting the best from the players he had and the fact that very few of the players who got us into the Championship have really gone on. There are some exceptions, inevitably, and some of the players he signed when we got to this level have gone on but generally he extracted a lot from fairly ordinary players.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Gus was very good at getting the best from the players he had and the fact that very few of the players who got us into the Championship have really gone on. There are some exceptions

there are quite a few exceptions - Dunk, Greer, Lua Lua, Bridcutt, Barnes, Murray, Calde, Crofts, Bennett, Elphick, & Wood all in the Prem or doing pretty well in the Champ with us or others.. All without Gus as their manager.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
WIll Buckley is playing well for Birmingham. The Championship was and is his level.
Glen FFS Murray improved himself post-Poyet as did Sam Vokes.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

All lower league journeymen before and after

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham

I don't think I'd describe Dicker, Navarro or Painter as decent in the championship. El-Abd maybe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't think I'd describe Dicker, Navarro or Painter as decent in the championship. El-Abd maybe.

Dicker was alright. Not that I ever mentioned Championship

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
His played a certain style of football. He picked players to suit that style. Quite a number work well in that style but not others. Simples.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Gus was very good at getting the best from the players he had and the fact that very few of the players who got us into the Championship have really gone on. There are some exceptions, inevitably, and some of the players he signed when we got to this level have gone on but generally he extracted a lot from fairly ordinary players.

He became famous at Sunderland for getting the best out of nobody!

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Paynter (Painter) was on loan and played 10 games ? doesn't really qualify for this debate ??

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

They were all at about the age a footballer peaks when playing under Gus, two of them are 34 now.

If he was on your side, I imagine he was a pretty good "man manager" too though. If he was on your side.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He became famous at Sunderland for getting the best out of nobody!

I think the lower league player put up with his Gus' EGO because they respected him as being a great player and accepted him as having a higher standing in the game than themselves. Once he moved up the leagues he was then dealing with players who has as high a standing in the game as he had as a player.

That then becomes a different ball game because they don't tend to put up with EGOS because their own EGOS are just as big. If not bigger

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here