Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nathan Jones

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I remember an awful lot of concern being shown on here when he left for the manager's job at Luton on January 6th.

Since then, Luton have gone:

P6 W2 D2 L2 PTS8 GD-2

And we have gone:

P6 W4 D1 L1 PTS13 GD+4

Early days but it doesn't seem like we're missing him.

I do like Nathan Jones but I have to admit to struggling to wish him well - because I can't stand Lootown.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Jones has a massive job to do at Luton.

Maybe he'll take Rea on loan once Greer and Uwe are fit. ???

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I wish Nathan well - he's taken a tough job on and needs time. Don't forget how long it took Poyet to turn us around in that first season, and Hughton's efforts needed last year to set us up for this one.

Totally unfair comparison of results - he's stepped off a high speed train, and onto the stopper service....

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Jones was the common denominator during some of the dullest football I have ever seen an Albion team play ( maybe Bailey too). I dont think its a coincidence that our game has perked up a bit since the arrival of Hughton, his new sidekick and the marginalisation of NJ.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Don't forget how long it took Poyet to turn us around in that first season, and Hughton's efforts needed last year to set us up for this one.

He beat Southamption in his first match. Gave him a bit of time...

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Jones was the common denominator during some of the dullest football I have ever seen an Albion team play ( maybe Bailey too). I dont think its a coincidence that our game has perked up a bit since the arrival of Hughton, his new sidekick and the marginalisation of NJ.

You are right it was very dull. What was strange was that the media said it was attractive football.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Drivel.

1. Jones wasn't 'marginalised' after Hughton's appointment. He often took training, and was the one of the three shouting instructions during games.
2. He was the 'common denominator' to the reigns of Oscar, Hyypia and Hughton. All played wildly different styles. Whatever level of input under each boss, there is no way any one style was a result of Jones' influence.
3. If he did / does have his very own philosophy, then surely it was most clearly manifested when he was in sole charge. (You know, the EXCITING games, that ultimately kept us up).
4. Hughton hasn't brought in a new sidekick, since his appointment of Calderwood on his arrival.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think his best moment was the win against Fulham away. Some were saying he should have been given the manager position that night!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Drivel.

1. Jones wasn't 'marginalised' after Hughton's appointment. He often took training, and was the one of the three shouting instructions during games.
2. He was the 'common denominator' to the reigns of Oscar, Hyypia and Hughton. All played wildly different styles. Whatever level of input under each boss, there is no way any one style was a result of Jones' influence.
3. If he did / does have his very own philosophy, then surely it was most clearly manifested when he was in sole charge. (You know, the EXCITING games, that ultimately kept us up).
4. Hughton hasn't brought in a new sidekick, since his appointment of Calderwood on his arrival.

1) He may have been at training, but he was no longer 2IC.
2) As 2IC he was and must have had an input.
3) 'New manager' syndrome, we have seen it time and time again with teams in transition or under caretakers.
4) Jones was no longer in the front line, he was 3rd choice at best in terms of imparting instruction and direction.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You are right it was very dull. What was strange was that the media said it was attractive football.

Which season / regime are you both referring to?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wish Nathan well - he's taken a tough job on and needs time. Don't forget how long it took Poyet to turn us around in that first season, and Hughton's efforts needed last year to set us up for this one.

Totally unfair comparison of results - he's stepped off a high speed train, and onto the stopper service....

A good analogy that. Nathan was hardly going to turn things around quickly. Luton are in a mess, and putting things right is a long term project. Let's just hope that he is given time to do that.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Exactly................You have to remember that usually when a club sacks a manager it is because they were struggling to begin with. Nathan will do well if he is given the time. My only concern is that clubs don't always give you that time and because this is his first job on his own, if he fails then he might not get a second opportunity

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
8 points from 6 games. That's almost play off form at a club that had struggled.

He will do okay there I think. Just wish he'd started at someone like Plymouth or similar rather than the easy to dislike hatters

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Drivel.

I think he MEANT the arrival of Calderwood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here