Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hull player ratings

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Stockdale 8: Good kicking, commanding on crosses, only one real save to make, but what a save it was!
Calde 7: Like everyone else I was a bit nervous about him playing out of position at LB, but he was excellent. We were perhaps fortunate that Hull played Snodgrass up against him, rather than a speed merchant, but Inigo was not a weak link.
Goldson 7: Looking increasingly like a bargain at £600k, strong, pacy, and reads the game well.
Dunk 9: immense, won everything in the air, good distribution, and one run out of defence for 60 yards and a shot reminded me of Lawrenson against Derby? In the League Cup in 1978.
Bruno 8: Need to bring out the old Inspiral Carpets T Shirts for this lad. He is cool as ****.
Kayal 8: Battled and fought, and fought and battled.
Stephens 7: Quietly efficient, always there to tidy up the pieces.
Knockaert 7: Very direct, always looking to drive forwards. Clearly the target of their pre match briefing as Hull looked to kick him out of the game.
Murphy 6: A bit peripheral, but gave decent cover for Calde whenever Hull attacked on that flank.
Sidwell 6: Looked a bit short of match practice. Industrious rather than influential.
Hemed 6: Struggled against Dawson and co in the air, better at holding it up when played to feet.

Subs:
Baldock 5: Ran hard to cover their defenders, other than that not given many opportunities.
Crofts 5: Wisely brought on for Kayal, who was in danger of getting a second yellow card. Relatively quiet.
Skalak 5: Could have won it in injury time with a shot on the turn from about 12 yards, but blasted over. Very keen to get the ball.

Overall a very professional performance against a Hull side with loads of Premier League experience. Not hugely exciting but a point gained. We've not lost travelling to Derby, Burnley, Hull, Wednesday :), Ipswich.

Don't think we've scored a goal at the KC yet, and last night never suggested we'd break that duck.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting report, good to see Calde put in a performance. Warren Aspinall gave Sidwell MotM on Sussex...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great to see Dunk back to his best, every player has blips

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Stockdale 8: Good kicking, commanding on crosses, only one real save to make, but what a save it was!
Calde 7: Like everyone else I was a bit nervous about him playing out of position at LB, but he was excellent. We were perhaps fortunate that Hull played Snodgrass up against him, rather than a speed merchant, but Inigo was not a weak link.
Goldson 7: Looking increasingly like a bargain at £600k, strong, pacy, and reads the game well.
Dunk 9: immense, won everything in the air, good distribution, and one run out of defence for 60 yards and a shot reminded me of Lawrenson against Derby? In the League Cup in 1978.
Bruno 8: Need to bring out the old Inspiral Carpets T Shirts for this lad. He is cool as ****.
Knockaert 7: Very direct, always looking to drive forwards. Clearly the target of their pre match briefing as Hull looked to kick him out of the game.
Murphy 6: A bit peripheral, but gave decent cover for Calde whenever Hull attacked on that flank.
Sidwell 6: Looked a bit short of match practice. Industrious rather than influential.
Hemed 6: Struggled against Dawson and co in the air, better at holding it up when played to feet.

Subs:
Baldock 5: Ran hard to cover their defenders, other than that not given many opportunities.
Crofts 5: Wisely brought on for Kayal, who was in danger of getting a second yellow card. Relatively quiet.
Skalak 5: Could have won it in injury time with a shot on the turn from about 12 yards, but blasted over. Very keen to get the ball.

Overall a very professional performance against a Hull side with loads of Premier League experience. Not hugely exciting but a point gained. We've not lost travelling to Derby, Burnley, Hull, Wednesday :), Ipswich.

Don't think we've scored a goal at the KC yet, and last night never suggested we'd break that duck.

Surely Lawrenson's run was against Wolves in a 2-3 defeat?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Subs:

That famous run by Lawro was against Wolves I believe.

Kayal wasn't booked. In fact no Albion player was booked which is progress.

Well done to those who travelled, anyone know how many?

PG

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Subs:

On the radio, Dunk's chance sounded very much like a suggestion we'd score.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I thought Sidwell started poorly but got stronger andstronger. Had clearly been roooed in to defend more than attack. He will be very good for us. Kayal was excellent again, scrummaging for the ball. Hemed a tad disappointing alone upfront and Baldcock looked more lively. Stockwell had a blinding save. Calde was great one moment, a liability on others. Overall a top performance by the team though

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
On the radio, Dunk's chance sounded very much like a suggestion we'd score.

On sky highlights it was only offensive play in H2 by Albion. Good run though given too much space by Hull. Crap finish.

CG made a great run on right wing end of H1 last Saturday that nearly led to third goal. Good to see CBs with confidence and skill to have a pop upfront, especially as none of them to be able to get a head on a corner.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
On sky highlights it was only offensive play in H2 by Albion. Good run though given too much space by Hull. Crap finish.

CG made a great run on right wing end of H1 last Saturday that nearly led to third goal. Good to see CBs with confidence and skill to have a pop upfront, especially as none of them to be able to get a head on a corner.

We did have a chance in injury time too. Free kick in their half dropped to Skilak but he snatched at it and it went over the bar.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Sidwell's assessment was pretty accurate by the OP, slightly rusty looking. If Dunk or Skalak had finished those attempts, might have wet meesel'.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

H2?

Oh.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We did have a chance in injury time too. Free kick in their half dropped to Skilak but he snatched at it and it went over the bar.

To be fair, it would have required a Van Basten Euro 88 final finish to score from that one.

I'd give all the staring 11 a 7, with exception of Goldson and Dunk, who deserve an 8.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
On sky highlights it was only offensive play in H2 by Albion. Good run though given too much space by Hull. Crap finish..

He curled it just wide from the edge of the box - it was hardly a "crap finish".

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
To be fair, it would have required a Van Basten Euro 88 final finish to score from that one.

I'd give all the staring 11 a 7, with exception of Goldson and Dunk, who deserve an 8.

I'd go with that. A mention to Hemed who I thought played the lone striker role well. Good first touch and lay offs but just suffers from a lack of pace.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York

I saw an Ulloa goal there but was in FA Cup not league.

Agree with overall assessment, maybe bumping up our 'wingers' for the defensive chasing back they got through.

I guess about 300 there on a freezing cold night. I felt sorry for the supporters on the coach that only arrived about 30 min into the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here