Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton - the most tactically astute BHA manager since...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
...well, when? Probably the most intelligent tactically in my lifetime of following the Albion.

Seems to have worked out a number of different systems/formations/line ups we can now play to suit the opposition and game situation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Coppell was pretty clued-up. Took over a side in disarray and got them playing as a team again but, yes, Hughton is up there with the best I've seen

D

Deleted member 2719

A five man midfield against Hull at their place is hardly rocket science.
Chris is doing okay but his manager strength IMO was to get a decent playing budget whether that was his persuasion or because TB and PB decided to give Burke the bullet.
Chris now has all the tools to give us every chance to get to the top flight, fingers crossed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A five man midfield against Hull at their place is hardly rocket science.
Chris is doing okay but his manager strength IMO was to get a decent playing budget whether that was his persuasion or because TB and PB decided to give Burke the bullet.
Chris now has all the tools to give us every chance to get to the top flight, fingers crossed.

I was certain we'd go to a 5 tonight so no, I'm not calling him a creative genius For that. I'm talking much more generally to all the flexibility he has shown over the past few months.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think what Hughton does better than most is he buys a better quality of footballer to suit the system he likes to play - and it generally is a very rigid, very specific system. But he's improved the standard of player at BHA and that makes a big difference.

Whether he's that tactically good is another question. He's made some awful decisions, even in this brilliant season, although fair play to the guy in that he seems to have learned from his mistakes during our poor run (and even some during our unbeaten run) by making some very intelligent tactical shifts during the last 4-5 games. It was good to see him put his ego aside tonight and go with the 3 man midfield - it showed progress from the 'Boro horror show at the AMEX when he thought we could go toe to toe with a better side who had an extra man in midfield. So I'd file him under tactically maturing rather tactically excellent.

If we do go up, it'll be fascinating to see how he approaches the Premiership tactically as I'm not convinced we have the players to play 442 at that level if we hope to stay up.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nah................I am one of his biggest fans but tonight's system was a ''No Brainer'' This was a must not lose game and he did exactly what most of us wanted him to do. He is very astute tactically but this wasn't the game to pat him on the back.

If he gets tactics right at home v Sheff Wed then that's time for accolades because when you are playing at home against a team with less points than you then you should go out and attack and beat them but they are sweeping everyone aside at this moment in time. That leaves a Manager with dilemmas, so if he ulimately gets that one right. That will be the time for pats on the back.

el punal

...well, when? Probably the most intelligent tactically in my lifetime of following the Albion.

Seems to have worked out a number of different systems/formations/line ups we can now play to suit the opposition and game situation.
Which pretty sums up why we haven't been out of the top 6 all season, even when we had our slump over Christmas and New Year. It's just a shame that some people on this board just don't see how astute Hughton is.

D

Deleted member 2719

I was certain we'd go to a 5 tonight so no, I'm not calling him a creative genius For that. I'm talking much more generally to all the flexibility he has shown over the past few months.
I do prefer his flexibility to Gus but I don't like his negetive approach sometimes tonight was understandable thou. But with our current squad I don't see many more matches we need to be over defensive. So hopefully he and Calderwood can keep the momentum going.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
His conduct with the Shoreham air disaster was a credit to him and the club.

He did his job in avoiding relegation last season, though the last 10 games or so did leave a few doubts in my mind.

This season has been great though, even if it goes wrong from here, with other clubs with bigger budgets than us, I hope he is at the club for a long time.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
His conduct with the Shoreham air disaster was a credit to him and the club.

He did his job in avoiding relegation last season, though the last 10 games or so did leave a few doubts in my mind.

This season has been great though, even if it goes wrong from here, with other clubs with bigger budgets than us, I hope he is at the club for a long time.

I have to say that I thought some of his team decisions were downright bizarre last season. How many times did Leon Best start, over the last 10 or so games??

However it did serve to demonstrate how weak our squad was and where we needed to strengthen.
Looking back, I would say that was an astute bit of work from CH and helped guide the recruitment policy for this season.

This year he has demonstrated the experience and tactical knowledge to get us a record unbeaten run, and to change things around when needed. He'll do for me.

A massive step up from Gus and Oscar, when it comes to adapting the team to meet the challenges of the gamesituation/opposition.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't think he's especially tactically astute at all and I'm not having a go at him, I just don't think you can say he's tactically astute because we went to a 5 man midfield and picked up a 0-0 draw. We kept the 4-4-2 against Middlesbrough and we all saw how badly that turned out but equally, going to Ipswich and playing two up front got us the win. I don't think he changes things tactically very often, it's very much our style of play and it'll work or it won't work but he rarely does things to change the pattern of a game aside from second half substitutions, either attacking or defensive depending on how the game is going. Against Bolton everyone could see how pathetic their defenders were, to a man. Pathetic. But we stood off them, gave them time and space and didn't exploit their obvious flaw. Was it not noticed? Did we not feel we needed to go after them high up the pitch? I'm not sure, but we only won that game by a single goal when our overall superiority was far greater.

I think very highly of Hughton, he's a fantastic manager who is doing a brilliant job for us in every department but I don't think he's particularly tactically astute and I don't mind that - because what I perceive his strength to be is organising the team, getting the right atmosphere around the squad and preparing the players for each game as they come. I don't think he's a Mourinho style tactician, that isn't what he does but what he is doing should be celebrated, it's a remarkable turnaround from last season and we could very well win this division this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Boring, negative etc etc - Norwich fans tell me what to think etc etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here