Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can You Fault Tim Martin

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Just come home from a swift half gallon at my local Wetherspoons and I wondered can you fault the place. I usually drink Guinness and it is always served correctly in all Wetherspoons I've been to. Didn't eat but when I have done not the best but cannot fault it. TV shows all sport, but no noise, and fruit machines with no annoying tones. Even the toilets are clean with a record of when they were done. Can anyone tell me a downside.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well because the beer is cheap they must be for scummy people and chavs and thereofre they are rubbish

(I rather like the occasional Wetherspoons and before the kid I was in them rather regularly)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Just come home from a swift half gallon at my local Wetherspoons and I wondered can you fault the place. I usually drink Guinness and it is always served correctly in all Wetherspoons I've been to. Didn't eat but when I have done not the best but cannot fault it. TV shows all sport, but no noise, and fruit machines with no annoying tones. Even the toilets are clean with a record of when they were done. Can anyone tell me a downside.

Your local Spoonies is obviously not The Cliftonville...

And I post this with a heavy heart as I realise it can be only moments until a certain boring boring poster does his usual tired old shtick about the hilarity of the homophones sauce and source in the vain hope that someone anywhere still thinks it's funny.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Your local Spoonies is obviously not The Cliftonville...

And I post this with a heavy heart as I realise it can be only moments until a certain boring boring poster does his usual tired old shtick about the hilarity of the homophones sauce and source in the vain hope that someone anywhere still thinks it's funny.

Saying still funny means people actually found it funny in the first place!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Havent been in any pub for about 8 months as too expensive for me but away for the weekend so will have to find a pub with sky in Exmouth so that could well be a Wetherspoons.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Worked with this company, lots of good things as you say but not my sort of place if honest. Anyway, lots of people don't know this so forgive me if you do but the JD bit comes from the founders love of Dukes Hazzard and Boss Hog who was of course JD Hog. Absolutely true. The wetherspoon bit comes from a favourite teacher when he was a kid.

You have not been charged for this information!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

I'd find it easier to believe that you were served some rocking horse shit than a proper pint of Guinness in a spoons.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

There are some I like and some I hate. The one on West Street is absolutely dreadful (as is the one in Hastings), while the one on North Street isn't so bad and the one at the Marina is actually pretty nice, managing to feel cosy while having a lot of space and some nice views of the Marina. I went to two in Birmingham last year and both were alright (including the one at the NEC, which was a surprise as I'd assumed it'd be terrible).

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The only problem with a wetherspoon pub I've found is that the toilets are miles away and usually involve 3 flights of stairs. Other than that I don't have a problem with them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there's more right than wrong with 'spoonies, there's far worse pubs, chains and indepedents out there. reckon the bad impression comes from a few high street outlets such as West Street, where they obviously attract a certin type of punter. others are perfectly civilised and offer decent beer at decent prices.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I do loads of work in Kent and go in them at Lunchtime for a meal and (usually) a decent pint.

The Sittingbourne 'Spoons is utterly grim, Faversham is reasonable and Whitstable is lovely.

Exactly like the Town in each case.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
there's more right than wrong with 'spoonies, there's far worse pubs, chains and indepedents out there. reckon the bad impression comes from a few high street outlets such as West Street, where they obviously attract a certin type of punter. others are perfectly civilised and offer decent beer at decent prices.

I always used to think the same of the Spoons on West Street, however, after the Huddersfield game, myself and my Hudders supporting friend ventured to the upstairs bar, found a table and some American Pale Ale on draught for about £ 2.50 and had a cracking night up there, hardly any of the crowd that you get downstairs came up. Will certainly be doing that again.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Been in a few, enjoyed most of them, and don't understand why some people knock them. You know what to expect in a 'Spoons.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Visited a Wetherspoons for the first time in the run up to last Christmas. We went to Festival Place, Basingstoke to do a bit of Christmas shopping, and the only place open at 8.30am for breakfast was the Wetherspoons. Two Eggs Benedict and two coffees came to under £9.00. Amazing value, and the poached eggs were perfect. At 9.00am they started serving alcohol and I was surprised at the number of people supping beer at this time. The place was, probably, over half full. For what we wanted to use it for, absolutely no complaints. An interesting point was that the menu gave the calorific value of all meals, and a FULL english was just under 1600 Kcals, with EXTRA sausage you'd be looking closer to 2000 Kcals.

Jul 7, 2003
The older Spoons pubs were always interesting and often either revived old pubs or were in interesting building. There was one in Derby (The Vault?) which was in an old bank and kept a lot of the original fittings to make an interesting place to drink. The newer Spoons seem to be soulless caverns of buildings - often old Woolworths buildings - which just pile people in and have no character.

Whilst not somewhere that I would usually choose to drink, they are usually good value for money and have a decent range of beers.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

No atmosphere. Sinister air in all Wetherspoon pubs. ......

The older Spoons pubs were always interesting and often either revived old pubs or were in interesting building. There was one in Derby (The Vault?) which was in an old bank and kept a lot of the original fittings to make an interesting place to drink. The newer Spoons seem to be soulless caverns of buildings - often old Woolworths buildings - which just pile people in and have no character.

Whilst not somewhere that I would usually choose to drink, they are usually good value for money and have a decent range of beers.

Opera House in Tunbridge Wells is an excellent conversion, unfortunately I believe that most of the punters don't appreciate that! Went to one in Bristol, The Commercial Rooms, which was an absolutely stunning building.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Personally I find them super value, beer is 'fresh' because of the quick turnover. Was in Brighton for one night at the beginning of January, lunch for 6 at The Marina, it was chicken day, only cost £45. That evening in Brighton met my brother for a couple in the Lanes and what a different story. The Pump House; 2 pints of Harvey's + white wine spritzer =£12.95, ended at The Pump House, 2 pints of rather crappy Shepherd Neame + one white wine = £14.95!!!!! How can they possibly justify such prices, but amazingly it was full of students boozing! It's prices like this that make me pleased to be living where I do because I couldn't afford to go out in the UK as much as I love my home town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here