Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So one of the ways of making it more attractive to Premier League clubs is to take away replays and play the fixtures midweek! Come on FA, have you never heard of the 3rd Rd weekend? Yet again smaller clubs missing out on revenue to suit the very rich elite EPL clubs. Replays and Saturday fixtures is essential revenue outside of the EPL, please don't consider this option.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
I think replays can be binned for sure,.. but weekend FA Cup games are the stuff of legend in the country....

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd imagine around 40 of the 72 FL clubs would want replays. Get drawn at home to Chelsea, Man Utd or Leicester(!) and hang on for a draw and get to go to thier place, big gate receipts, TV etc, can fund a lower FL club or non-league club for months!

To me this is a very slippery slope, the next thing will be to get rid of these smaller clubs, they get in the way. Next step, don't include any clubs in CL or Europa and suddenly you have "League Cup Light"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The removal of replays and going to extra time and penalties may give the lower side a better opportunity to progess and obtain more prize money and revenue from future rounds.

Weekend games must stay but I would give the lower side the home tie regardless of whether they were drawn first or second.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Replays are an essential part of the FA Cup. If a club scraps out a hard-earned draw against one of the big boys then they've earned the right to bring them back, or go for a BDO at their place.

Its not THAT long ago that you'd have replays after replays if the game ended up level again. I vaguely recall an EPIC set of games between Arsenal and Dirty Leeds that went to (I think) 3 replays before it was eventually decided. Probably one of the reasons they ended up binning off 2nd / 3rd replays.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If it becomes "result on the day" I would also love to see the penalty shoot out BEFORE kick off.
Not only would this be great entertainment but one of the teams then already knows they have lost on pens so can't sit back on the draw, they must attack and score = more entertainment = win - win !

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Naff idea at dumbing down the FA Cup even more. The FA Cup may be a hindrance to many Premier League Clubs but to those further down the ladder, it can be 'the stuff dreams are made of' to nick a cliché. The money from a cup run including replays can be a lifeline to many clubs.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If it becomes "result on the day" I would also love to see the penalty shoot out BEFORE kick off.
Not only would this be great entertainment but one of the teams then already knows they have lost on pens so can't sit back on the draw, they must attack and score = more entertainment = win - win !

Crikey ... are you getting mixed up with SOCCER US stylee!! Would be interesting though! Pick five home fans and five away fans at random .... or maybe not!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I've seen that idea before, always liked it. There really is no downside.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Wouldn't the team that won the shoot out, if the game was looking like a draw, would just defend for their lives as they know they go through on a draw? Might make it even less entertainment...bit like the whole golden goal thing when that was supposed to liven up ET, but completely killed it.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If both teams a scared to lose it becomes a stalemate, I think if one team knows they must win it becomes a real cup-tie, throwing the kitchen sink at the other team maybe?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Get rid of replays but if a lower league side gets a draw against a team in a higher division then the match would go to a replay, still give a smaller club a chance of a replay and needed revenue, make the higher division team field a stronger side to avoid replay
This way it keeps the big boys happy that if it's an all prem tie or championship tie the game doesn't go to needless replay that either club doesn't need, just an idea maybe

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Don't see what's wrong with the current format tbh. If a big team doesn't want the hinderance of a replay, then don't risk it by putting out a weakened team and respect the competition.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's simple, EPL teams can request no replays, however, if it's a draw at 90 mins the away team gets 50% of the average gate receipts from the home club as compensation for no replay ..... Happy EPL, thought not!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Naff idea at dumbing down the FA Cup even more. The FA Cup may be a hindrance to many Premier League Clubs but to those further down the ladder, it can be 'the stuff dreams are made of' to nick a cliché. The money from a cup run including replays can be a lifeline to many clubs.

Almost true - it's not just the PL clubs - A fair number of league clubs don't bother with it any more.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I don't think that it is just PL clubs that have a problem with the FA Cup. Look at the attendance for the Hull Cup game in January, on a Saturday, and compare it with their next match (on a Wednesday) and 50% more people turned up.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's simple, EPL teams can request no replays, however, if it's a draw at 90 mins the away team gets 50% of the average gate receipts from the home club as compensation for no replay ..... Happy EPL, thought not!

I thought the gate receipts were more evenly spread in cup matches anyway, unless I'm mistaken?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here