Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the human race to survive do we need to live in Space?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
all over the papers re the new medical reports involving gm-ing white blood cells to make us humans disease free. great on a personal level but if we all live on and on where are we all going to fit? do you think in the near future we'll be living on space stations or is man capable of colonising a moon/planet? seems easy in the movies.
oddly, it's something I often wonder. yet we have made little progress. maybe aliens have warned us off?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I quite like the idea of leaving Matt Damon alone on another planet. We need to learn how to colonise other planets so that we can leave him and others elsewhere, if for no other reason.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The more we mess with nature and the more people there are on the planet, the more nature will eventually mess with us, I reckon. We have a reasonable handle on AIDS in most parts of the world now in as much as we can prolong life significantly, we have Ebola which can be contained reasonably well, so what's next?

In space, no-one can hear you scream....

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
all over the papers re the new medical reports involving gm-ing white blood cells to make us humans disease free. great on a personal level but if we all live on and on where are we all going to fit? do you think in the near future we'll be living on space stations or is man capable of colonising a moon/planet? seems easy in the movies.
oddly, it's something I often wonder. yet we have made little progress. maybe aliens have warned us off?

It might seem like we've not made much progress, but actually we have. If you think of where we were technologically 100 years ago, and where we are now, we're definitely getting closer to the point where it's possible. Unfortunately there are a lot of things we need to perfect before we are in position to colonise moons or planets, and they range across a multitude of industries. That’s why it’s hard to see how close we are, because there is no single one thing. But we aren’t a million miles away from it now.

Also in some respects we restrict ourselves as a species on this front. If there was an impending extinction event, I’m sure a global effort to research and perfect the technology we need would actually achieve it a lot faster. But at the moment it’s expensive and any profit to be made from researching and development is long term, which inevitably slows the pace of progress.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Eventually we will need to. This planet only has a finite life span. I don't think it'll be anytime in the next 500 years but the need (and desire) will come eventually.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Yes, absolutely. If you look at the number of mass extinction events earth has faced in the past, spreading ourselves over multiple planets is the only viable option.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We need to colonise space starting with the moon, Mars, other moons in the solar system and then habitable planets in the Milky Way. Two big challenges. We'll need to design space craft that can travel close to the speed of light. We'll also need to create a genetically modified homo sapien sub species that would be suited to space. This new species may not need bones and could look like a space hopper.

Nature has a way of sorting these things out.

Be it a meteorite, asteroid, super volcano, disease, nuclear war, intense solar event, at some point, something will happen that will significantly reduce the number of human beings on the planet.

It there is not a sudden event like one I mention above before it's needed, then poorer man will simply die out due to a lack of space, nutrition, water and decent breathable air, giving us the same result.

It's a fact that the only way to guarantee the continuation of the human race is for there to be less of us. All the pussy footing around with green policies etc are a complete waste of time. The world will not cut down on the billions of CO2 thats needed and even if they did, it would be irrelevant when one event like a large volcano might release trillions of tons in a few weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here