Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Knockaert's poor standing with Liege fans bother anyone?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I only ask this because I got involved in an exchange with a Belgian football expert (and he is) the other day, and he lifted the lid on real bitterness, bordering on hatred, towards Knockaert from many/most fans of his former club Standard Liege.

Now I have been following this game long enough to know how it works, and when the rose-tinted spectacles kick in. Like most Albion fans I have watched Knockaert in recent games and think he could be the Championship buy of the window if not season. He has been brilliant, and far too good for Belgian club football.

So I looked into it a little more, and the gist of it seems to be that they all got the hump after he arrived saying he was desperate to win titles with Standard, kissed the badge a few times, then left after five months. He got a dog's abuse on Twitter, and cracked a couple of times (almost understandably) saying how delighted he was to have joined a club with proper fans!

What do people think about this. Is it a case of 'all is forgiven' when he is our player and just their sour grapes, or would you have concerns for the future? I think I am in the box marked 'Get us up, and I don't give a monkey's' but if he does it again I wouldn't be happy....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He cracked on Twitter talking about the Albion when he said 'proper fans?'

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There's been no talk stuff about him wanting to leave....we bid Liege were happy to take the money.
I remember seeing some comments (poorly translated?) from his Father about him not wanting to go.
Wasn't he a fans favourite at Leicester?
Not bothered what Liege fans think personally

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I only ask this because I got involved in an exchange with a Belgian football expert (and he is) the other day, and he lifted the lid on real bitterness, bordering on hatred, towards Knockaert from many/most fans of his former club Standard Liege.

Now I have been following this game long enough to know how it works, and when the rose-tinted spectacles kick in. Like most Albion fans I have watched Knockaert in recent games and think he could be the Championship buy of the window if not season. He has been brilliant, and far too good for Belgian club football.

So I looked into it a little more, and the gist of it seems to be that they all got the hump after he arrived saying he was desperate to win titles with Standard, kissed the badge a few times, then left after five months. He got a dog's abuse on Twitter, and cracked a couple of times (almost understandably) saying how delighted he was to have joined a club with proper fans!

What do people think about this. Is it a case of 'all is forgiven' when he is our player and just their sour grapes, or would you have concerns for the future? I think I am in the box marked 'Get us up, and I don't give a monkey's' but if he does it again I wouldn't be happy....

Absolute B-------s though not necessarily your post.

Perhaps we never ever hear the true reasons behind these sort of reports BUT Knocky was excellent at LCFC and since arriving here has been absolutely the business so what is to question ?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is part of football. One needs to take as one finds. Things change very quickly.

From when I recall when Leon Knight started for us he was pretty impressive, helped get us promoted through the play-offs and then the rot set in.

I think we are in a golden period with him right now. We need to just enjoy it whilst it lasts, and may that be for a good while yet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There's been no talk stuff about him wanting to leave....we bid Liege were happy to take the money.
I remember seeing some comments (poorly translated?) from his Father about him not wanting to go.
Wasn't he a fans favourite at Leicester?
Not bothered what Liege fans think personally

Yes I was thinking about the alleged Father interview at the weekend. It must be bollocks surely - it seems he's loving the club / playing in England again, and other reports suggested he wanted to come back to England after his (Father again maybe?) had been ill & made a recovery...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here