Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mac Book Pro or Windows 10 laptop..

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Help...

New laptop is required however I can't make my mind up if it is worth switching to the world of Apple... use it a lot for work, excel, word, emails etc... Love the look of the Mac Book but is it really worth the extra cost?

Looking for the NSC techies to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Have always used Windows but have recently switched to a macbook pro and won't look back. Once you get used to the operating system i think it is far superior and very fast plus synchs with ipad and phone and screen resolution is superb.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Spookily I'm in a similar position. MacBook Pro, Lenovo Yoga, Surface Book, or iPad Pro.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I made the switch to Macbook for all but work and will never go back. It just works and works well, all the time. I have found apple so helpful to deal with as well.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Unless you've got some really specific software needs that are Windows only I'd go Macbook Pro or Air.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the slightly small Macbook screen and the solitary USB port which means you have to shell out a further 70 quid for an adapter if you want to hook it up to a monitor or projector.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Apple prices a just a complete rip-off. And they will probably give you an update that bricks the thing like the phones if you have the sheer nerve to get somebody cheaper to fix it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ok, not sure what else you'll be using it for, but Office 2016 is superb on all operating systems now (including iOS), so no more worries about compatibility. It's just a case of which hardware suits you better.

If you want portability, I'd go for the Surface Book - looks like a fantastic bit of kit and has got great reviews. The iPad Pro is a bit too much cash for a big iPad and general file management tends to be more of a ballache on iOS. You can get by with it, but it's not a replacement for a desktop OS yet IMO.

I'm typing this on a mid 2010 Macbook Pro (2.66GHz i7). I recently swapped out the hard disk for an SSD as it starting to really slow down. It could take 10-20 seconds to open Chrome for example... but now it's better than most new macs I've tried. So so good. So if you go down the mac route, go for the SSD option!

I really don't think Apple products are overpriced. I've had 2 macs. One I bought in 2005 which my Dad still uses (and it works fine) and one I'm typing on now 6 years after I bought it with an £80 upgrade cost. They last forever and whenever I've had problems (once or twice), the service I've got has been exceptional.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Depends what you do imho. If it's emails and spreadsheets then cost wise it is Windows. For higher end stuff such as video editing or CAD based then it may well be worth mortgaging the family treasure and get an Apple.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Work with Windows and MacBooks. For personal use I have a MacBook and do love it for stability and the fact it just always seems to work. However after a friend accidentally broke his screen and it cost £600 to repair I would make sure you have insurance that covers accidental damage. Also get a three year extended warranty. Damage to the logic board and you might as well throw it in the bin.

Also go for top specs you will need for its lifespan. No upgradable parts anymore.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Help...

New laptop is required however I can't make my mind up if it is worth switching to the world of Apple... use it a lot for work, excel, word, emails etc... Love the look of the Mac Book but is it really worth the extra cost?

Looking for the NSC techies to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

I've still got a late 2006 MBP, so 10 years old this year that is still doing Adobe InDesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, CAD, and it is still a really functional machine.

OSX has been rock solid for a few years now too, very reliable in my opinion.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I ditched windows for Linux a few years back (apart from an old windows box I use for writing a few utility programs for work). 18 months ago I got a macbook and a mac mini and my linux laptop is now in the loft.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
MacBook. I still have a 15inch MBP that is 6 years old and still works fine after a RAM upgrade last year. Would benefit from SSD but in terms of value for money, excellent choice

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Mac Book Pro every time, even though Windows 10 is a huge improvement.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
had to by microsoft surface pro's 1 and then 2 as it was stipulated by kids school......they both went tits up within 12 months of purchase as did the replacements under warranty.......they now both have macbooks......we use the microsoft pros to stop the cat scratching the sofa.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My Surface Pro 3 has just had its first anniversary - touch screen and 9 hours of battery life - run as either a Laptop or Tablet.
Well 'appy !!
SP4 will be bigger and better ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here