Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trifon Ivanov has died

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He was only 50 too, that's no age. Great defender and even greater hairstyle icon.

o5228.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/13/former-bulgaria-defender-trifon-ivanov-dies-aged-50

He was part of that magnificent Bulgarian World Cup side of '94. I heard rumours that they all bleached their hair to avoid the drugs tests. It sounds unlikely but a part of me hopes it was the case. Has there ever been a scruffier player? Gary Birtles?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
94 is the first World Cup I really recall, and as soon as I saw the name that picture came to mind - probably because it was the first WC i collected the stickers for.

As you say, 50 is no age.

RIP

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Much to young, RIP.

I always remember that Bulgarian side he played in because of USA 94 and them beating the Germans. Loved that world cup. Think it was a beautiful summer, no England involvement meant we could just enjoy the tournament for what it was. I just remember days down at the beach and time in pub sandwiched between the early evening game and one that usually kicked off about midnight.

I think I heard that Stoichkov's mum had a heart attack when she saw him score this free kick.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Much to young, RIP.

I always remember that Bulgarian side he played in because of USA 94 and them beating the Germans. Loved that world cup. Think it was a beautiful summer, no England involvement meant we could just enjoy the tournament for what it was. I just remember days down at the beach and time in pub sandwiched between the early evening game and one that usually kicked off about midnight.

I think I heard that Stoichkov's mum had a heart attack when she saw him score this free kick.

Bulgaria 2 1 Germany followed next day by Holland 2 Brazil 3 correct score double £10 paid £1200 ,my biggest ever winning bet happy days.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
He was only 50 too, that's no age. Great defender and even greater hairstyle icon.

o5228.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/13/former-bulgaria-defender-trifon-ivanov-dies-aged-50

He was part of that magnificent Bulgarian World Cup side of '94. I heard rumours that they all bleached their hair to avoid the drugs tests. It sounds unlikely but a part of me hopes it was the case. Has there ever been a scruffier player? Gary Birtles?

Yes, Robin Friday of Reading in the 70s. "The greatest player you never saw"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here