Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is 86 points enough for automatic promotion?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Touch and go. The league looks like it's going to be more polarised than usual. Think it could be as high as 89/90

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Already been a thread. I have already posted this as people said we needed 12 wins. Projection of hull and boro points means we need 91 to get second.

12 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats - we have only played one team in the top 11 twice too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The crucial part isn't how points are needed, but it's the fact we won't get them. We'll be in the playoffs and have to hope we're not missing many players.

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
There's a chance 86 points will be enough for the autos as all the top 6 teams are taking points off each other, eg Boro beat Brighton, Sheff Wed home and away, Derby at home and Burnley but drew at Derby away and lost to Hull. Yet Hull lost to Derby and Burnley.

However it's still more likely 86 will not be enough.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who knows? We all will in about three months time. So the correct answer is............................................?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
In last 10 seasons, points won by 2nd team ranged from 79 to 93. On 5 occasions, 2nd team has earned 86 or less, 5 times more.

So 86 is right on cusp historically as to whether it is enough. My instinct is that the top 5 are so competitive this season that 86 probably will be enough, but who knows.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
In last 10 seasons, points won by 2nd team ranged from 79 to 93. On 5 occasions, 2nd team has earned 86 or less, 5 times more.

So 86 is right on cusp historically as to whether it is enough. My instinct is that the top 5 are so competitive this season that 86 probably will be enough, but who knows.

Good point! Puts it into perspective!!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Why do previous seasons have any bearing? Just spread current points out and our projected 86 points will be short by 5 points. Have to beat hull and burnley.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Using an on-line table calculator, I project we will finish with 88 points and finish fourth - 6 points short of top spot and 4 from automatic promotion.

Fortunately football isn't played on paper/computer/our minds, etc., but on grass - where a lot can happen with the odd bounce or the lucky opportunity!

Exciting, isn't it?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why do previous seasons have any bearing? Just spread current points out and our projected 86 points will be short by 5 points. Have to beat hull and burnley.

That doesn't work, as you are just taking all teams in the current positions and working out points per game and then saying that's exactly the same points per game ratio they will finish up with! So obviously Brighton will still finish behind Hull and Middlesboro as their points per game ratio are currently higher than ours!

Applying this logic you might as well finish the season now, as according to your calculations no-one will deviate from their current standard...

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
That doesn't work, as you are just taking all teams in the current positions and working out points per game and then saying that's exactly the same points per game ratio they will finish up with! So obviously Brighton will still finish behind Hull and Middlesboro as their points per game ratio are currently higher than ours!

Applying this logic you might as well finish the season now, as according to your calculations no-one will deviate from their current standard...

Applying your logic no one will perform better either.

I'm just saying people are a bit deluded if they think 86 is enough.

5 very competitive teams this year when it is usually 3.

90/91 will get us second given our shocking goal difference.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Applying your logic no one will perform better either.

I'm just saying people are a bit deluded if they think 86 is enough.

5 very competitive teams this year when it is usually 3.

90/91 will get us second given our shocking goal difference.
My logic is precisely the opposite of what you are saying, someone (hopefully Brighton) will perform better than expected, and will pick up points where not expected.

In all probability someone will also drop points where not expected (again, hopefully not us).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here