Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds v Football League

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If they think they can go it alone, then let them test it. Tv thinks they own football and clubs bend over and ask to be butt****ed so long as they get their shillings!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've said it before and I'll say it again, despite their owner being a complete buffoon I can understand the reasons behind this. Championship clubs are making nothing out of these live games from what I can gather, it is a total shambles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've said it before and I'll say it again, despite their owner being a complete buffoon I can understand the reasons behind this. Championship clubs are making nothing out of these live games from what I can gather, it is a total shambles.

I have no issue with to games but they need to be televised at 3pm.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have no issue with to games but they need to be televised at 3pm.

You can't televise live on a Saturday at 3pm, it isn't allowed. But to take Leeds for an example, seeing as their looney tunes owner is the reason for this thread, they are a below average championship side getting far above the wanted tv attention on most others in our division. People sit in the comfort of their own home to watch, rather than turn up. This is really not good at Elland Road, that are seeing decreasing crowds constantly because they are basically crap. It doesn't help the clubs coffers to see this happen because, and I'll say again, apparently there is very little money to be made in being shown live on Sky. But there are swathes of empty seats, so you make nothing from the catering or merchandise. According to my mate I sit next to on matchday, at the live Brentford game the whole of the right hand side of him, all seats were empty. That's about 20 seats and 20 possible catering customers and 20 possible merchandise buyers. The League agreement does not work with Sky.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You can't televise live on a Saturday at 3pm, it isn't allowed. But to take Leeds for an example, seeing as their looney tunes owner is the reason for this thread, they are a below average championship side getting far above the wanted tv attention on most others in our division. People sit in the comfort of their own home to watch, rather than turn up. This is really not good at Elland Road, that are seeing decreasing crowds constantly because they are basically crap. It doesn't help the clubs coffers to see this happen because, and I'll say again, apparently there is very little money to be made in being shown live on Sky. But there are swathes of empty seats, so you make nothing from the catering or merchandise. According to my mate I sit next to on matchday, at the live Brentford game the whole of the right hand side of him, all seats were empty. That's about 20 seats and 20 possible catering customers and 20 possible merchandise buyers. The League agreement does not work with Sky.

Myself and the 3 others I go with couldn't make the Brentford game for various reasons, we all could have made it if the match had been played on a Saturday, so we didn't spend any money on food/ drink.

We all went yesterday and spent money at the stadium before and after the match.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Good.

The League should say fine, you're no longer part of our TV rights, but you obviously can't sell rights for any game that involve one of the football league teams.

They'll probably make a profit from it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Myself and the 3 others I go with couldn't make the Brentford game for various reasons, we all could have made it if the match had been played on a Saturday, so we didn't spend any money on food/ drink.

We all went yesterday and spent money at the stadium before and after the match.

As did I, and I would have made a 3pm Saturday Brentford game too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

But would those seats have been empty anyway if not on TV, given that we had two home games in consecutive weeks and the cost of the two games may have been too much. Or are they season ticket seats which have already been paid for. Also how many people decide to avoid play off or big cup games because they are being shown live.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In this day and age, anyone who wants to watch top flight football at 3pm on a Saturday will. Having a championship match on TV will have little effect on genuine supporters who'd go to watch their team anyway.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But would those seats have been empty anyway if not on TV, given that we had two home games in consecutive weeks and the cost of the two games may have been too much. Or are they season ticket seats which have already been paid for. Also how many people decide to avoid play off or big cup games because they are being shown live.

You are quite correct that season ticket holders may not turn up, I didn't because I can't do weekday game, so my revenue is collected anyway. But I am not spending probably 20/30 quid on the tills either, which is more than my season ticket matchday price. How many of me are in the same situation? I hate our fixtures being moved, I haven't missed a Saturday home game this season, but when they start f'cking with the dates they f'ck with mine and many more people's plans. If we were making a significant profit from these televised games, as the Prem teams do, then fine, but we aren't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here