Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So how do you think StarLizard made it's money, yesterday?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Clearly not a thread we can speculate on before kick off.

I think I have my head round the logic, Tony et al are looking for a tiny variations in the odds that they can exploit.
It's not like they would have 'gone large' on Sunderland, as us mug punters do.

But looking at the results I'm not sure I understand enough to know where the money was.

17:30 Chelsea 5 - 1 Newcastle Stamford Bridge
15:00 Bournemouth 1 - 3 Stoke Vitality Stadium
15:00 Crystal Palace 1 - 2 Watford Selhurst Park
15:00 Everton 0 - 1 West Brom Goodison Park
15:00 Norwich 2 - 2 West Ham Carrow Road
15:00 Swansea 0 - 1 Southampton Liberty Stadium
12:45 Sunderland 2 - 1 Man Utd Stadium of Light

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Clearly not a thread we can speculate on before kick off.

I think I have my head round the logic, Tony et al are looking for a tiny variations in the odds that they can exploit.
It's not like they would have 'gone large' on Sunderland, as us mug punters do.

But looking at the results I'm not sure I understand enough to know where the money was.

17:30 Chelsea 5 - 1 Newcastle Stamford Bridge
15:00 Bournemouth 1 - 3 Stoke Vitality Stadium
15:00 Crystal Palace 1 - 2 Watford Selhurst Park
15:00 Everton 0 - 1 West Brom Goodison Park
15:00 Norwich 2 - 2 West Ham Carrow Road
15:00 Swansea 0 - 1 Southampton Liberty Stadium
12:45 Sunderland 2 - 1 Man Utd Stadium of Light

Best not to ask:whistle:

If the name of the game is Big Bets On Sure Fire Winners, Aiming To Get A Positive Return And A Contribution To Long-Term Growth In Earnings, then it's obvious that the safe bet was on Chelsea v Newcastle United - especially in the Asian Handicap market.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Taking the Utd game as an example.

Would they be betting on Utd to win as soon as Sunderland scored, then Sunderland to win as soon as Utd equalised?
Assuming the result generates a profit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what is Asian Handicap?
Is that just the Far East version of Ladbrokes with equally shitty adverts, or do they have a different approach to odds and 'chalking up' a game.

Asian handicap betting starts with an imaginary proposition.

Let's give Chelsea a (say) two goal start on Newcastle United. This makes the odds very different from what a high street bookmaker will offer and punters have the opportunity to make money on Newcastle "beating" Chelsea. In this particular case, any fule can see that a two goal start isn't enough, and the money goes to folk who stick with Chelsea.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's because you're not a math's genius who employs a couple of hundred highly skilled employees to develop a super complicated algorithm.

This. It's a variation on what goes on in the financial markets. Hugely complex statistical models built by (typically) Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard-type maths geeks, aimed at pointing out where they think the bookies have got it slightly wrong, then taking high value punts on short-odds positions.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Stoke at 10/3 were an absolutely outrageous price. I know they hadn't scored for a while but Bournemouth are awful at the back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This. It's a variation on what goes on in the financial markets. Hugely complex statistical models built by (typically) Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard-type maths geeks, aimed at pointing out where they think the bookies have got it slightly wrong, then taking high value punts on short-odds positions.

I still don't understand it though, mainly because of the betting jargon. Care to explain it in idiot terms with an example.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I still don't understand it though, mainly because of the betting jargon. Care to explain it in idiot terms with an example.

In basics I believe Asian handicap for example will have the underdog in the lead. For example the underdog in the Sunderland v man Utd game may have been Sunderland and they are given a 2 goal head start. You can then bet on the outcome. They then employ some maths nuts from God knows where who can work out the most likely outcome. Something weird and wonderful like that anyway

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure this helps :dunce:

https://betting.betfair.com/football/asian-handicap-betting-strategy-tips-betfair.html

This really doesn't :lol:
From http://www.asiabookie.info/asian-handicap-odds.html

15/02 00:15 Manchester City vs Tottenham 0:1/2 Manchester City
15/02 00:00 Manchester City (Corners) 1.91 0:1 1.93 Tottenham Hotspur (Corners)

17/02 04:00 Hull City 1.90 0:1/2 2.02 Brighton & Hove Albion

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In basics I believe Asian handicap for example will have the underdog in the lead. For example the underdog in the Sunderland v man Utd game may have been Sunderland and they are given a 2 goal head start. You can then bet on the outcome. They then employ some maths nuts from God knows where who can work out the most likely outcome. Something weird and wonderful like that anyway

I understand the handicap bit. But the article [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] posted says they can determine more precise odds. So, armed with these better odds, what do they then do? If team A win has odds of 3/1 on the Asian high street but Starlizard deem the odds to be 4/1 do they put a few quid on the Asian High Steet?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I understand the handicap bit. But the article [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] posted says they can determine more precise odds. So, armed with these better odds, what do they then do? If team A win has odds of 3/1 on the Asian high street but Starlizard deem the odds to be 4/1 do they put a few quid on the Asian High Steet?

Basically the work out the odds they think it should be and check it against the bookies. If they think the bookies are wrong and the odds are to high they advise clients to put money on it. I believe they are paid for advice only although I'm sure they follow bet themselves as it's clearly profitable

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone tell me what 'Asia' is anticipating this afternoon as per the odds on #13.

Also what if StatLizard thinks the Albion will win v Hull 2-1 and has a spare £10,000, what would I be looking to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Other way round.

So what Starlizard are doing is looking for value on the Asian High Street. I understand it now. Thanks.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If the name of the game is Big Bets On Sure Fire Winners, Aiming To Get A Positive Return And A Contribution To Long-Term Growth In Earnings, then it's obvious that the safe bet was on Chelsea v Newcastle United - especially in the Asian Handicap market.

crippled-man-begging-aregmt.jpg

This Asian handicapped man is willing to bet his life savings on football. That must be a good market.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here