Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we still short of strikers?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Now they are getting service from Knocky and Murphy with ample support in midfield and backup in Kaz and Jiri, we look a lot more threatening. We have Baldock, Hemed, Zamora and Wilson. I think we are good now unless a gem comes along.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
A yes from me. Hemed back in the goals is more re-assuring though. He & Baldock looked good together early season but the latter has never really looked like getting the goals he should. Wilson is a great option but as has been mentioned looks unfit for some reason. Bobby is the star but can we really ask him to keep starting games, especially when we get back into the 2 games a week cycle. Another, but only the right one not a makeweight would complete the jigsaw.

Still much more worried about the upcoming gap at LB until Bong/Liam are back but we are in an incredible position that I'd have said impossible at the start of the season.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't think that it is any surprise that we are winning again now that Bobby has been starting and we are much more threatening on the wings. The team spirit we have is second to none and getting someone else in on loan on potentially big wages may upset that. We are a good team, on a good run again whilst those above us are stuttering a bit. I say go with what we have.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I have to say that I would still like someone clinical. Look at the point that Rhodes earned Boro last week off the bench. Think Kevin Phillips in this division for Blackpool and Palace. That kind of player would make all the difference to me. However, I'm not sure that kind of player is out there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last night I wrote this about Skalak, and feel it's equally relevant here.

On the phone in tonight Warren A got a little snooty with a caller who wanted to wait before seeing if the club needed a loan striker.

Words to the effect of:-

'hang on, a month ago everybody was desperate for a striker'.

It's a shame the caller didn't point out to WA, a month ago the squad only had one creditable winger/supply line.
As said on here 'double up on Murphy and you stop the Albion'.

Double up on Murphy now and Knockaert with batter them.
Double up on Knockaert and ...
Committing midfielders out wide, Kayal & Stephens have more room.
Hold out for 60 minutes and then you're faced with Kaz and Wilson - good luck.

It's blatantly obvious this team needs quality wingers.
The more the merrier.
So for that reason I'm Team Skalak.

For those reasons I'm also Team Don'trocktheboat.

With the amount of wingers the club has hoovered up, Murphy can play the Wilson/Baldock 'quick lad' role, without effecting the team balance, so that's fully stocked.
BZ is crucial, if he's confident he can last the rest of the season then it's a no from me.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We are a good team, on a good run again whilst those above us are stuttering a bit. I say go with what we have.

Boro might be but the others are still going strong

Form table.jpg

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
The game is played at both ends. We are desperately short of full backs at the mo, if Bruno or calde get crocked or sent off there is NO recognised cover.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The game is played at both ends. We are desperately short of full backs at the mo, if Bruno or calde get crocked or sent off there is NO recognised cover.

I recommend we sign 2 star Champ defenders / utility players who can fill in these positions...
I suspect they will be ready to play by Saturday if everything goes ok.
And rely on Calde for Tuesday.
Should be enough.

What do you think ?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yes, we still need another striker. Zamora might pick up one or two knocks between now and the end of the season and I'm still not sold on Hemed scoring consistently despite the past two games.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I have to say that I would still like someone clinical. Look at the point that Rhodes earned Boro last week off the bench. Think Kevin Phillips in this division for Blackpool and Palace. That kind of player would make all the difference to me. However, I'm not sure that kind of player is out there.

Agree with this but I think we've already got that in BZ. What we do need, ideally, is someone to start games, who can complement Hemed and score goals regularly.

Baldock just doesn't look like he can do it at this level. Wilson can, I think, but seems to have fitness problems. Since regular goal scorers are like gold dust it's pretty unlikely we can improve on our current bunch for now but we are going to need someone prolific eventually, particularly when BZ hangs up his boots....

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I recommend we sign 2 star Champ defenders / utility players who can fill in these positions...
I suspect they will be ready to play by Saturday if everything goes ok.
And rely on Calde for Tuesday.
Should be enough.

What do you think ?

Think we ****ed up letting chicksen go on loan. He may not be the best but he is OK cover if something happens with Bruno or calde.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd say even if there's some doubt, we should take the risk. Would rather have many class options than a few injuries leaving us short..

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Before we get carried away let's just do a reality check on which teams we have played in our four game winning streak:
Blackburn: Currently 19th in the table
Huddersfield: 17th
Brentford: 13th
Bolton: 24th

There will be much much tougher games to come starting with Hull on Tuesday. In my opinion we certainly need another striker and a full back on loan if we are to keep up with the leaders.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Think we ****ed up letting chicksen go on loan. He may not be the best but he is OK cover if something happens with Bruno or calde.

Club management obviously (and sadly for Chicksen) don't believe he even offers ok cover otherwise he'd still be here and we wouldn't have taken Ridgewell on a very short term loan.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here