Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Stephens gone off the boil?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Personally not seen it myself, but it has been mentioned on here and by the bloke that sits next to me at the ground. Am I missing something?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Probably knackered after playing nearly every minute of every game this season, often playing in a midfield 2 against a 3.

Monumental effort alongside the King.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have to say I was getting a little irritated from the flack to my left about Stephens, but he's a 'casual' mate so you have to be polite. Kayal and Stephens are still, for me, the best pairing in our league. And it is so correct to say that because Kayal is well below the level he should be playing at he makes Stephens look ordinary. In a 4-4-2 they work massively hard, box to box, I never see either of them giving up the cause.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think the early booking for a high tackle tempered Stephens' play. I thought that CH might take him off to save him from a second yellow

But what is great about that now is we have Sidwell to tuck into his place. Whereas before we had very little.

DavePage

I thought he had a poor game last week, remember hoping that he was subbed for Sidwell at half time….
Obviously, I don’t get to see him week in, week out. So maybe harsh, but with the competition for places now, I would have hoped for a little better.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think him and Kayal set such a high standard at the start of the season that anything less is disappointing.

Still one of the first names on the team sheet though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought he was okay today, just Kayal was superb in comparison
As it has always been.
The difference now is there isn't a massive drop off in quality to the squads third midfielder.

Happy days all-round.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think that he is a confident on the ball as he was and is taking the simple option with his passes at the moment. I'd say he has gone off the boil but is not playing badly and still commits to the tackle well.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I thought that he would get subbed yesterday due to the early booking. He looks a little tired at times Very good payer though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No - a few ropey games but was good yesterday on the whole for me. A truely class player who works so well alongside Kayal. I think CH will go with Sidwell or Crofty on Tuesday and one up tops...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
He doesn't seem to be as prominent around the edge of the opposition box as he has been in the past, can't remember seeing him have too many shots on goal recently.

Maybe CH is asking him to do something a bit different as we were being overrun in midfield at times during the losing run.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The problem with Sidwell, as was always the case when we signed him, is he's barely played football over the last 2 years. So it's all well and good saying we just swap him in for Stephens, but Sidwell is going to need to get up to match pace as well as fitting into the role that Stephens has been doing very well all season. Both take time.

Re Stephens, I think he was average yesterday and outshone by Kayal, but two things are important to note. 1) he plays the more disciplined role of the two usually meaning he simply isn't given the license to get forward in the same way Kayal is (and rightly so, I'd argue). Personally, I think it's great that he's sacrificing himself for the side, but I also think it tempers a lot of his natural instincts to get further forward. And 2) he and Kayal are often playing against 5 man midfields, which continues to be overlooked. Add that to the fact that he's played almost every minute of every game this season, and it's no surprise he's not at quite the same level as before.

I guess what matters now is how far CH feels Sidwell is from being ready to start games. I'd suspect he'll play as part of a 5 man midfield on Tuesday to help get him some match fitness and then they'll possibly be more interchangeable as the season progresses alongside Sidwell's fitness.

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I think he has lost a bit of his sparkle, probably due to fatigue.

Still a very good player.

I was getting concerned in the first half yesterday that the defence was too often short of midfield options and were forced to hoof it long. We didn't seem to be as mobile in midfield and Bolton were able to squeeze any space and make it tuff for both Stephens and Kayal in the first 45.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think he has lost a bit of his sparkle, probably due to fatigue.

Still a very good player.

I was getting concerned in the first half yesterday that the defence was too often short of midfield options and were forced to hoof it long. We didn't seem to be as mobile in midfield and Bolton were able to squeeze any space and make it tuff for both Stephens and Kayal in the first 45.

That's because they had an extra man in midfield and their wide players were doubling up on Murphy and and Knockaert very well in the first 45, meaning we didn't have a lot of passing options out from the back. It was a tactical issue mainly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here