Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zero tolerance for ticket cheats

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its not really though is it ,i'm not picking a fight for the sake of it
Likewise.
but all it calls for is a modicum of common sense from the steward to realise someone isnt really taking the piss.
But it's not their job to do that. You could easily con them, you just get a printed ticket for your seat in the north stand, then go on the kids ticket in east, and you're quids in. Also, there's a limit to the amount of times you can upgrade a kids ticket, and maybe that's been reached. The stewards job should really be to tell them to go to the ticket office and sort it out, it's not the stewards place to make those decisions.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Have you spoken to the ticket office about this? I would imagine they'd sort you out, although I'd expect it may be giving you a NS seat (and probably moving his so you can have two together).

They're not monsters - they do want to help when things like this happen.

Just got round to it, didn't realise the new policy was so strict until I opened the thread. All sorted now.

No excuse. He should sit in his normal seat or buy an adult ticket or take a child for which the ticket was intended for.

Think you have the wrong end of the stick here.

My mum and 13 year old brother sit in the east stand. Up until this season I sat in the north with my mates. This year I couldn't afford to go anymore so I had to cancel my ST so if my mum can't make it I take my brother which was the plan today until about 10ish when he was sick.

Out of my group of mates who go to games only one of them can make it today. There was 6 of us who went to Brighton games but two of us have had to cancel ST due to not having the money for them. Out of the remaining 4 who have ST's, two of them are at work right now and one is on holiday meaning there would be one of my mates on his own in the North.

I don't know about you, but for me football is a social thing. Never been to a game on my own and enjoyed it anywhere near as much so me and my mate planned to sit together. It wasn't about cheating the system to get better seats or anything like that. It was just trying to stop the ludicrous situation of me and one of my best mates sitting in different stands on our own.

So you think he should be allowed to sit in the kids seat without paying extra? Ridiculous. If you've been given the two tickets for free, then ask the owners of the seats if you can upgrade one for the day, and go halves with your mate. He could try and sell his ticket to a mate at a reduced price, so the change might cost you nothing.

As I've said above, it's not to do with the better seat. I just feel that an inflexible approach from the club could hinder them in the long run

Genuine question, if your so strongly behind the idea of upgrades so the club don't lose out on money do you feel that fans should be offered a downgrade if the situation is reversed?

Would you say it's fair for me to have to pay a fiver to move from the East to the North, despite as you said the East being better seats?

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
For OAP's who pass on tickets to people when they cant go to say a son or daughter or grandchild or friend who is not an OAP then it would be helpful to people if the person with the ticket could pay the difference at the ground and instead of prosecuting people, just have a system where the ticket flashes up at the turnstile that its an OAP ticket and the person is then asked to pay the extra. Problem solved with acrimony.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For OAP's who pass on tickets to people when they cant go to say a son or daughter or grandchild or friend who is not an OAP then it would be helpful to people if the person with the ticket could pay the difference at the ground and instead of prosecuting people, just have a system where the ticket flashes up at the turnstile that its an OAP ticket and the person is then asked to pay the extra. Problem solved with acrimony.
So you want cash handling training, tills, PDQs etc for all turnstiles? The alternative is sending them to the ticket office which they should have had the sense to do in the first place.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Be practical. That would be chaos. It's not difficult, you want to upgrade call the club, simple

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
For OAP's who pass on tickets to people when they cant go to say a son or daughter or grandchild or friend who is not an OAP then it would be helpful to people if the person with the ticket could pay the difference at the ground and instead of prosecuting people...

You can do this at the ticket office...

Feb 14, 2010
Be practical. That would be chaos. It's not difficult, you want to upgrade call the club, simple

I didnt have in mind the turnstile, although that would be ideal if they could by way of a contactless payment. I thought there was a ticket booth at the ground they could be sent to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I've said above, it's not to do with the better seat.
For you it isn't, but it is a more expensive seat.
I just feel that an inflexible approach from the club
I don't know what the club are saying, I haven't read all the thread, I just don't think fans should walk in with their underage ticket and hope for the best. I would hope you'd go to the club and they'd try and be flexible and make it so that you can both watch the game without being out of pocket.

Genuine question, if your so strongly behind the idea of upgrades so the club don't lose out on money do you feel that fans should be offered a downgrade if the situation is reversed?
Not quite sure what you mean - season ticket seats are discounted from the standard price, so if you want to downgrade for a game, I obviously don't think you should get money back.
Would you say it's fair for me to have to pay a fiver to move from the East to the North, despite as you said the East being better seats?
I think a fiver is too much. I could understand if you had to pay a pound or two to cover admin, but it would be nice if it was free, particularly if the club were able to sell your East stand seat, but I doubt this happens enough for it to be something there's a good system for.

I want fans to get fair value, I'd like ticket prices to be kept in check for PL clubs who get so much from TV deals, but I also appreciate the our club isn't making money from us, it's quite the opposite.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I didnt have in mind the turnstile, although that would be ideal if they could by way of a contactless payment. I thought there was a ticket booth at the ground they could be sent to.

Can it not be done at the ticket office at the ground on the day ?

Feb 14, 2010
You can do this at the ticket office...

Yes I'm sure, but there will be situations where a grandfather passes it to someone who hardly goes and who wont think of it. Also with contactless then it could be quite painless. The idea of prosecuting people is a step too far unless an adult say has bought an OAP/kids season ticket or game ticket themselves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For OAP's who pass on tickets to people when they cant go to say a son or daughter or grandchild or friend who is not an OAP then it would be helpful to people if the person with the ticket could pay the difference at the ground
They can! There are ticket booths on the outside of the ground.
just have a system where the ticket flashes up at the turnstile that its an OAP ticket and the person is then asked to pay the extra. Problem solved with acrimony.
As above, that would be chaos.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

In that situation they are sent to the ticket office. Its a system thats been in place for some time

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
£35 per month per Contactless PDQ. Adds up to real money with all of the turnstiles.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes I'm sure, but there will be situations where a grandfather passes it to someone who hardly goes and who wont think of it.
But the grandfather knows the deal. He knows he's not paying adult prices, so he just tells them they'll have to upgrade it.
The idea of prosecuting people is a step too far
They're not prosecuting everyone, they're just pointing out that some are deliberately trying it on, and have said that a couple of those have simply had to pay what they owe.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yes I'm sure, but there will be situations where a grandfather passes it to someone who hardly goes and who wont think of it.

The think the "ticket office" is a fairly well-established concept at sports and entertainment venues.

Feb 14, 2010
But the grandfather knows the deal. He knows he's not paying adult prices, so he just tells them they'll have to upgrade it.
They're not prosecuting everyone, they're just pointing out that some are deliberately trying it on, and have said that a couple of those have simply had to pay what they owe.

OK I hear you,. I just would prefer other solutions than the law. Incentives such as, if someone upgrades before reaching the turnstile then its the proper price but if they dont upgrade before the turnstile then there is a £10 penalty. I'm not having a pop at the club but just asking for a bit of thinking outside of the box. Prosecutions will turn someone away from the club for life and the revenue lost over a life time of a fan, plus their kids is significant. I understand the problem but for me its the wrong solution.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I believe that's fine.

A friend had a problem earlier this season when his son's friend used his sister's ticket, him being a child her an u21. Steward picked up the fact proceeded to question the fact it was in a females name etc. Got resolved but steward was aggressive. My friend emailed Barber and whilst he apologised for the handling of the situation he did state terms and conditions that st are supposedly non transferable

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Do OAPs season tickets look different or marked as different? Status OAP ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here