Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre match meal for family of 4

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Hello all,

1st ever visit to the completed Amex today and am bringing my family (other half and 6 yr old and 5 yr old). Wondering where is good for a pre match meal near the ground? We are driving from Suffolk down so are fully mobile, and then parking in the bridge car park.

Any kind people got any recommendations? If there's already a thread about this then be happy to be pointed in its direction.

Ta in advance

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not much near the ground. The Swan in Falmer village did very good burgers and cheesey chips the last time I was there (and a nice pint of Palmers real ale). Burger van and fish and chip van directly outside the ground if you want overpriced Withdean-era grub. Pies on the concourses. Or head back in to Brighton. Swan might be the best bet if you're parking in the bridge.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Thanks, yeah heading into Brighton is an option as we should have time. I guess our requirements are that it needs to have a relatively quick turnaround I.e. In and out in an hour. Anyone know a good burger place to head to if the Swan is too full?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If early enough, say parked up by 12.30 train back to Brighton would be my recommendation. Prince Albert by the station has always done decent food and relatively quick if you can find a table

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Brighton Marina (easy for the SatNav). Lots of a variety of food outlets, not over busy like in the town centre.

Enjoy your first Amex Matchday Experience.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would it be worth stopping at the Black Lion (Harvester?) as soon as you arrive in Brighton, assuming you come down the A23 it's very easy to get to and easy to get back on the A27 to head to Falmer?

http://www.harvester.co.uk/restaurants/southeast/theblacklionbrighton

I'm not sure it's the best, but it's what I was thinking of. Better might be one of the neighbourhood pubs around North Brighton such as The Ladies Mile (http://www.theladiesmilepub.co.uk) or The Bevy (http://www.thebevy.co.uk) where there will be easy on-street parking.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
So, the ladies mile looks decent and parking won't be a nightmare. The wife has found coggings and co by 7 dials, however am I right in thinking that the parking there will be as atrocious as it always has been? Which one is the better option, I'm siding with the ladies mile.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Swan at Falmer, or black lion at Patcham and then take P&R from mill road would be my choices.

The OP has parking arranged at the Bridge I believe. Even so would suggest that the Black Lion is the much better bet of the two, as the Swan can get horribly crowded, especially if you want to eat.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
So, the ladies mile looks decent and parking won't be a nightmare. The wife has found coggings and co by 7 dials, however am I right in thinking that the parking there will be as atrocious as it always has been? Which one is the better option, I'm siding with the ladies mile.

Parking at seven dials is only bad coz you have to pay. But you'll find a space.
The Cow or the Good Companions are good up there.

But I vote Ladies Mile

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The OP has parking arranged at the Bridge I believe. Even so would suggest that the Black Lion is the much better bet of the two, as the Swan can get horribly crowded, especially if you want to eat.

Sure, but if you get there earlier enough, you'll be fine, and for me it would be a better 'football' experience as loads of other fans there.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
FYI was a season ticket holder at the goldstone for 3 years, the pre match meal then used to be the Kashmir just opposite!

Still there but under a different name I believe, used it often myself back then, not pre match mind, that was spent in the Seagull/Sackville/Hove Park Tavern!

The Swan does great pub burgers but can get packed inside on cold days, no easy burger joints by Brighton station but couple of pubs offering decent grub if you get there early enough. Both the Black Lion and The Jugs seem the best choice logistically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here