Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stepdad threatened by the club

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
My Stepdad has had a season ticket for 20 years. Been going for 50.

Turns out the club have been undercharging him at the Amex....

That was ok.... shit happens. Mistakes can be made.

Would you then send an invoice of £441.51 to an OAP with a note asking him to reknew?

A lovely email from my Mum was rebuffed.

A section goes...

"Please confirm your acceptance of these terms and make the upfront payment required, so that we may ensure your husband's entry for the Bolton game"

He is 65 and has said he would've renewed but the letter and email upset him too much.

The club lost...

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why not email Barber instead of throwing your toys out? Mistakes can happen. Age has nothing to do with it

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They undercharged him by over £400 pounds? You think he would have realised that? In fact I'd be amazed he didn't know that he was underpaying, and yet he's the one who's upset? If you've been getting away with it, and then caught, shrug your shoulders and pay up.

Plus, 65 aint that old anymore. Its not even the retirement age.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Was he paying OAP rates a year early, and they realised at renewal time ?

Did he know he was being undercharged and kept quiet ? Or did he think he was paying the right amount ?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
My Stepdad has had a season ticket for 20 years. Been going for 50.

Turns out the club have been undercharging him at the Amex....

That was ok.... shit happens. Mistakes can be made.

Would you then send an invoice of £441.51 to an OAP with a note asking him to reknew?

A lovely email from my Mum was rebuffed.

A section goes...

"Please confirm your acceptance of these terms and make the upfront payment required, so that we may ensure your husband's entry for the Bolton game"

He is 65 and has said he would've renewed but the letter and email upset him too much.

The club lost...
If the club's mistake. Club should take the hit.

Unfourtantly you won't get much sympathy on here from the happy clappers.They will be falling over themselves to defend the club.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
They undercharged him by over £400 pounds? You think he would have realised that? In fact I'd be amazed he didn't know that he was underpaying, and yet he's the one who's upset? If you've been getting away with it, and then caught, shrug your shoulders and pay up.
M

If the club was undercharging him, isn't that the club's problem, as long as it wasn't he who was misleading them by, say, claiming a concession he wasn't entitled to? If it's their mistake, shouldn't they bear the loss?

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Perhaps he could renew and ask the club if he can pay extra each month to clear the underpayment..

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If the club was undercharging him, isn't that the club's problem, as long as it wasn't he who was misleading them by, say, claiming a concession he wasn't entitled to? If it's their mistake, shouldn't they bear the loss?

If something costs £50, and they only charge your card £40 by mistake, do you keep schtum? I know that if I pay for my lunch with a tenner and they give me change for a twenty, I always point out their mistake and hand back the extra. Don't you? If something is delivered by mistake to your address when its meant for your neighbour, do you keep it so the company has to send out a replacement? I would have thought its just part and parcel of being a good citizen in our society. But hey, maybe our values and morals really have gone down the drain.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Unfortunately what you say is true. Regrettabke that the club made a mistake by undercharging him for a length of time, but one would of thought that he must have realised that this was happening?

A professional football club needs to be run as a business, and any other compamy would invoice you if you hade been underpaying.

Maybe an email to Paul Barber could be in order claiming extenuous circumstances or the like, but I would be amazed if he relented.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
If something costs £50, and they only charge your card £40 by mistake, do you keep schtum? I know that if I pay for my lunch with a tenner and they give me change for a twenty, I always point out their mistake and hand back the extra. Don't you? If something is delivered by mistake to your address when its meant for your neighbour, do you keep it so the company has to send out a replacement? I would have thought its just part and parcel of being a good citizen in our society. But hey, maybe our values and morals really have gone down the drain.

I agree totally. On more than one occasion I have surprised a till operator by asking if I have been undercharged, and I have more than once had something I ordered delivered twice - on one occasion being told to keep it because it wasn't worth the cost and the bother of picking it up (a fairly cheap item).

In this case, if it was me, if I had been charged less than I thought I should have been, I would have queried it at the outset. But I am assuming this was a genuine surprise and shock to someone who didn't realise there was anything wrong.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maybe an email to Paul Barber could be in order claiming extenuous circumstances or the like, but I would be amazed if he relented.

Though making your complaint public on social media is bound to make him more amenable to compromise, I'd have thought.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Though making your complaint public on social media is bound to make him more amenable to compromise, I'd have thought.

Well yes, and having been told how certain people at the club view NSC too. But if all else fails then I guess it's last resort time.

But as I say, if the circumstances are as I presume, he isn't much of a businessman if he waives the fee.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club loses around £1m a month, yet some fans have been knowingly ripping the club off by using a lower-priced ticket than they are entitled to use.

The club have been investigating this and I'm told have been quite shocked at what they have found.

Of course I have no idea of the details of this specific case, but I do find it difficult, when prices are so well publicised, that someone can be paying less than they should and not know.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

I don't consider a neighbours mail being delivered to a wrong address and kept, any sort of semblance to being undercharged! One is theft, the other IMO needs to be a lesson learnt by the club to get their act together.
If this had been picked up early it could have been addressed without hardship. However to be hit with an invoice of several hundred pounds is problematic. This guy may well have not realised he was being undercharged, maybe he just thought it was less than he thought it was going to be? More importantly finding himself better off, he may have conducted his financial affairs differently and spent money he would not have otherwise have done. I often tailor my spending to present financial circumstances. The club should at least offer him some relieve......if it is in fact their mistake!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not sure what's been described is being threatened, unless there've been other conversations with the club that haven't been mentioned? From my own perspective, it does sound like the clubs error rather than the customers (I hate using that term where football is concerned but it suits it here) so to ask for a lump repayment seems a mite harsh.

Obviously, if he was knowingly underpaying then it'd be a different story but otherwise it's easy enough to imagine a Direct Debit running at the wrong amount for a while without being noticed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The club need to sort themselves out and agree a payment period. We are a community club

Reading between the lines, I'd hazard a guess that the club have already offered that. The OP quotes part of the club's letter which makes specific reference to an "upfront payment". This, to me, implies that at least part of the underpayment is on a payment plan - perhaps the OP can clarify?

Assuming the club have made the mistake, a payment plan would be a sensible way forward if they haven't already offered it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I find these sort of posts strange, in the extreme.

If I had a genuine gripe with the club, or anyone else, I am not sure this would be the place I would post it, where comments are expected, if no invited - I wouldn't go onto a public forum and make a post in the dead of night, then presumably go to bed, meaning I can't defend myself against the inevitable flack, or explain further the situation.

Because of this, I along with others, tend to smell a rat - which is very unfortunate if totally true!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can see how this could happen.

The step dad turned 65, and was charged OAP rate a year too early, and this was then noticed and corrected.

The step dad may have thought the concession was correctly applied ( even if it was a mistake ) and thought nothing was amiss.

On the other hand, someone could have been 'trying to get away with it'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here