Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Traffic Lights at major junctions

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
So, just heard that the traffic lights at Buckbarn on the A24 are going to be replaced, after a "rodent infestation". Alongside this, other "improvement works" will take place, taking 11 weeks and causing long tailbacks at all approaches, as the lights will not be "as responsive" as usual.

Now, a year or two ago, there was a power failure to those lights and the Macdonalds and Texaco station and the traffic flowed beautifully that day. I have also heard of experiments in the Netherlands (those crazy Dutch) where removing traffic lights reduced congestion and accidents. I also read in the Worthign Herald today about a petition on the Parliament website calling for the lights to be removed at Crossbush, Offington and Lewes roundabouts on the A27.

Just wondered what the collective view of NSC was on this emotive subject? I for one, think it's a great idea.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119819

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So, just heard that the traffic lights at Buckbarn on the A24 are going to be replaced, after a "rodent infestation". Alongside this, other "improvement works" will take place, taking 11 weeks and causing long tailbacks at all approaches, as the lights will not be "as responsive" as usual.

Now, a year or two ago, there was a power failure to those lights and the Macdonalds and Texaco station and the traffic flowed beautifully that day. I have also heard of experiments in the Netherlands (those crazy Dutch) where removing traffic lights reduced congestion and accidents. I also read in the Worthign Herald today about a petition on the Parliament website calling for the lights to be removed at Crossbush, Offington and Lewes roundabouts on the A27.

Just wondered what the collective view of NSC was on this emotive subject? I for one, think it's a great idea.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119819

May be great for trafffic but no so good for pedestrians. I remember trying to cross the A23 once after a traffic light breakdown and the traffic was so fast moving there was no way to cross - had to walk about a quarter of a mile to find a crossing. It was OK for me as I'm fit and healthy but would be no fun to pensioners or parents with young children

Dec 29, 2011
May be great for trafffic but no so good for pedestrians. I remember trying to cross the A23 once after a traffic light breakdown and the traffic was so fast moving there was no way to cross - had to walk about a quarter of a mile to find a crossing. It was OK for me as I'm fit and healthy but would be no fun to pensioners or parents with young children

Build an over or under pass? The cost of traffic jams to the uk economy is high, surely years of less traffic would make a no-traffic light / underpass system viable in terms of cost.

It always used to be a basic rule of road safety engineering that traffic lights at roundabouts were a No No. That ceased to be the case about 15 years ago and these days they are installed where there is a need to increase the capacity of a roundabout and shorten traffic queues.

I use the A27 Ashcombe Roundabout at Lewes almost daily and I have to say that the traffic signals generally make it easier. I'd question any decision simply to remove the traffic lights. And, as long as they are there, the small number of pedestrian movements are well catered for.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here