Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank-you. The SPL.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't disagree with him, making any tournament like that a closed shop would kill a lot of interest from neutrals. That said, I'm sure the TV deals would make it worthwhile for a good length of time regardless.

Find it a little funny that he seems to think that Celtic and Rangers (who are absolutely nowhere near European football right now) are as big a 'brand' as Ajax & Porto.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not sure alot of neutrals across europe would care that much, they are watching the big clubs not the champions of european leagues competing - which its not any more anyway.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I don't disagree with him, making any tournament like that a closed shop would kill a lot of interest from neutrals. That said, I'm sure the TV deals would make it worthwhile for a good length of time regardless.

Find it a little funny that he seems to think that Celtic and Rangers (who are absolutely nowhere near European football right now) are as big a 'brand' as Ajax & Porto.

Not that funny really !

Rangers and Celtic are 'massive' clubs by any measurement and are bigger than, as you quote Ajax and Porto, because they like some others have a massive fan base abroad. Irrespective of current situation they remain extremely large.

Celtic were the first British club to win the 'then' European Cup (against Inter Milan) in 1967. The last confrontations in the European cup against English clubs for Celtic I can't remember but the last time Rangers were there they beat LUFC 2-0 home and away (thats 4-0) but of course a long time ago. Both of these clubs have a massive fan base and routinely have 50,000 home crowds. The only reason they are unable to compete in Europe is that they do not have Sky to support them and yes they do but seriously you can't imagine on the same terms as clubs in England.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not that funny really !

Rangers and Celtic are 'massive' clubs by any measurement and are bigger than, as you quote Ajax and Porto, because they like some others have a massive fan base abroad. Irrespective of current situation they remain extremely large.

Celtic were the first British club to win the 'then' European Cup (against Inter Milan) in 1967. The last confrontations in the European cup against English clubs for Celtic I can't remember but the last time Rangers were there they beat LUFC 2-0 home and away (thats 4-0) but of course a long time ago. Both of these clubs have a massive fan base and routinely have 50,000 home crowds. The only reason they are unable to compete in Europe is that they do not have Sky to support them and yes they do but seriously you can't imagine on the same terms as clubs in England.

Are you sure they beat European Champions LEEDS UNITED? There is not a bigger team in the worth than Leeds.....You as any LUFC fan:tosser:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Not that funny really !

I know this is a fairly difficult argument to make as the size of a club is immensely subjective BUT do you honestly think they're bigger than Porto & Ajax?

Thinking about it, I would possibly place them (if you're going historically) near Porto though in terms of modern football they're not within touching distance.

As for Ajax, they've won (i think) 4 European cups (again, historically) and they play in a league that I would guess has more global interest than the SPL does (not that I'd imagine the Eredivisie has massive figures but I could be happily wrong).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have no interest in Scottish football, but that's not relevant to the point Doncaster was making.

The idea of a league that teams don't have to qualify for makes me feel sick.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just daft. If you take the PL top4 now ans assume that will be how they finish then both Manchester Utd and Chelsea fail to qualify for the champions league. But withthese proposals they would be in and presumably Leicester and Tottenham would be out as not big names in Europe.

Ifthe proposal goes ahead then the competition needs to be renamed as the European Invitation League.

One step closer to a full European league with the clubs either pulling out of domestic league or fielding squad players only with first team playing inthe European league.

All competitions should be on merit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And if little Leicester City win the English Prem will they be allowed to play with the likes of 13th place Chelsea in this Super League of sporting giants?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I have no interest in Scottish football, but that's not relevant to the point Doncaster was making.

The idea of a league that teams don't have to qualify for makes me feel sick.

and that is the same as the late Bolton Chairman wanted Phil Garside no relegation from the EPL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here