Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matej Vydra: Still sorry we missed out?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Matej Vydra was seen by many as the answer to our striker problem until we lost out to Reading. With only 2 goals in 19 league appearances for them it appears he has hardly set the place alight. Of course there's no way of knowing if he would have done any better had he come to us, but in hindsight have people's opinions changed based on how he has performed for Reading.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it's a fair question. Most of us thought the £2m loan fee was ridiculous and accepted the club's decision to pass, but there are some here who thought it was a terrible mistake and showed how our club lacked ambition etc.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Vydra is a good player. Long term he'll prove that and it's more than possible that, if he'd come here, he'd have scored more goals this year.

But £2m was a ridiculous loan fee so I totally get why we didn't go for it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think he would have been great for us, he certainly made a bad move going to Reading.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This season just shows you should trust in the Hughton-lead, Burke-free process. Vydra for £2 mill ON LOAN, or Knockaert for not much more, fee wise, permanently? It's a no brainer in our favour and i say that as an advocate of getting in Vydra in the summer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hemed has missed a hatful of great chances this season, Vydra would be in doubles figures easily by now with that level of service.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Even if his loan fee had been more sensible or he had cost £2m to sign permanently he still wouldn't have lived up to expectations. Regardless of cost his goal scoring rate has been poor. COG cost us £2m and scored 1 in 15 league appearances and look at the stick he received, and he was a long way off from being held in the same esteem as Vydra who has scored just one more than COG but played 4 games more.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hemed has missed a hatful of great chances this season, Vydra would be in doubles figures easily by now with that level of service.
So Reading have scored 33 goals, just 4 less than us, and they've done that without letting Vydra have more than a few chances? That seems pretty weird.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Reading won the bidding war for Vydra but don't seem to have won much more after. Is he a one season wonder like Blackman? Probably.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Really? I thought it was around 500k?

You're right, I don't know where I got my figure from, but it actually proves my point even more. He only cost £500k and we were giving him stick whereas Vydra, 4x that for only a loan but whose goal ratio is not much better.
Edit: The £2m fee for O'Grady is quoted on quite a few sites including a local one. Is it a case of Chinese whispers or did that include add ons?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here